It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rock band The Slants' victory in court secures your rights

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

On Monday, the Supreme Court agreed that this use of Section 2(a) is unconstitutional. Justice Samuel Alito, who wrote the opinion, could not have made it clearer: "We now hold that this provision violates the Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment. It offends a bedrock First Amendment principle: Speech may not be banned on the ground that it expresses ideas that offend."

I am surprised to not see this here already.
Lots of discussion about "free speech" at ATS.

The Supreme Court ruled that, "If the federal registration of a trademark makes the mark government speech, the Federal Government is babbling prodigiously and incoherently." After all, the trademark register has millions of trademarks on it -- the federal government can't be saying all those things at once.

Free Speech is the foundation.
I am glad to see it upheld.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I wonder how many dollars various lawyers made for this common sense decision.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Such a crazy, but important case. I find it absolutely incredible that a band wanted to call themselves something and were challenged, ending up all the way to the Supreme Court.

edit on 20/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

a summary.

the rockband wants to go by the name "The Slant" but it was ruled derogatory towards asians, this court case they have won permits them the trademark to use that name anyway.

relevant, the nfl team the redskins had similar trouble, their trademark was removed due to derogatory name, so this win should help the redskins retain their trademark also.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

Not just any rockband. The band members are asian.
The trademark office ruled the name derogatory.(govt agency)

I think this is the most important part: "Speech may not be banned on the ground that it expresses ideas that offend."

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodiesNormal

a summary.

the rockband wants to go by the name "The Slant" but it was ruled derogatory towards asians, this court case they have won permits them the trademark to use that name anyway.

relevant, the nfl team the redskins had similar trouble, their trademark was removed due to derogatory name, so this win should help the redskins retain their trademark also.

Ironically, the human rights commission in Ontario, Canada, is taking up the complaint addressing the Cleveland Indians Name. If it is upheld, When the 'Indians' come to Toronto to play the Blue jays, they will not be able to use that name while in Ontario.....

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

a summary.

Ironically, the human rights commission in Ontario, Canada, is taking up the complaint addressing the Cleveland Indians Name. If it is upheld, When the 'Indians' come to Toronto to play the Blue jays, they will not be able to use that name while in Ontario.....

Canada is such a joke.

I know there a lot of great Canadians but their political system has been high jacked by SJW's.

We need 2 walls.
edit on 20-6-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

How will they stop them from using their name?
How is that enforced?

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

they will make them tape over the logo on the jersey and write in sharpe the Cleveland Indigenous People.
PC run amok is popping into my head for some reason.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

How will they stop them from using their name?
How is that enforced?

I have no idea. Thus far, it's only a worst case scenario.

Perhaps, declaring the name 'Canada' as 'offensive'....

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing this case, I was unaware of it. It is still no less troubling that such cases need to be brought to the supreme court.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The Supreme Court has consistently confirmed time and time again that there is no such thing as "hate speech" in this country.

The Left continues to try and regulate speech (and everything else) by forwarding the LIE that Americans cannot say or even think certain things that liberals find objectionable.

This is a far bigger blow to the Alt-Left in this country than it might at first appear. If the Left can't control speech and even thought, they have no hope of forcing their cradle-to-grave, government-controlled, speech and thought-regulated, wealth-confiscating Leftist Caliphate on this Republic.

This adds to the now insurmountable case law forever slapping down the over-played canard of "hate speech".

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Funny how CNN uses a tiny picture of the band as not to hint they are in fact ASIAN!

If me and a few buddies made a band called "The Crackers" there wouldn't be an issue.
Unless...
Our songs promoted pride in being white.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

If MLB had a spine, they'd stick up for the league and the Indians and simply tell the Blue Jays that they either had to play those games in the US or forfeit.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Sad to say that unless you started singing about white nationalist stuff, most people would think Crackers was a reference to food and not a racial thing.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
If me and a few buddies made a band called "The Crackers" there wouldn't be an issue.

I think cookies will be offended by making such a distinction. After all, underneath, cookies and crackers both come from flour. They are equal in the eyes of our creator.

edit on 6-20-2017 by LogicalGraphitti because: deleted the end tag again... argh

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The Redskins held off appealing their case to the 4th Circuit to wait for the outcome of this case. Now they do not need to appeal as this case sets the precedent they needed to retain their name and trademarks.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The Redskins held off appealing their case to the 4th Circuit to wait for the outcome of this case. Now they do not need to appeal as this case sets the precedent they needed to retain their name and trademarks.

Exactly right.

Redskins, Indians, Blue Jays (racist against red jays), Fighting Irish (me
), Braves, White Sox (racist against black sox), etc...

Yes, it's goofy. But thankfully this garbage is getting slapped down as it should be.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Am I missing something or just stupid? No, don't answer that but...

Doesn't the word slant have more than one meaning?

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Exactly right.

Redskins, Indians, Blue Jays (racist against red jays), Fighting Irish (me
), Braves, White Sox (racist against black sox), etc...

Yes, it's goofy. But thankfully this garbage is getting slapped down as it should be.

I got a question. Why do we even allow the Blue jays to compete for a american title?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join