It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how many particle accelerators exist?! so we all know of CERN and switzerland but .......

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
so while studying up on various subjects on the Mandela effect and CERN cropped up, ANYHOO not another Mandela effect post! while digging deeper found out Texas was going to get there own particle excelerator and it was going to be a SSC (Superconducting Super Collider). but they run out of funding to the small tune of 2 billion dollars in. would cost one billion a year to run and yada yada yada.... but this was a hard find in 2017 may I add LINK

its near the last twenty mins or so for Texas collider

Its planned ring circumference was 87.1 kilometers (54.1 mi) with an energy of 20 TeV per proton and was set to be the world's largest and most energetic. It would have greatly surpassed the current record held by the Large Hadron Collider which has ring circumference 27 km (17 mi) and energy of 6.5 TeV per proton. The project's director was Roy Schwitters, a physicist at the University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Louis Ianniello served as its first Project Director for 15 months.[2] The project was cancelled in 1993 due to budget problems.

so I thought to myself if this happened and I never knew maybe its just coz I am from the U.K but still..... are there more I don't know about? so I had a look and lo and behold .... I found this LINK

it was like once you jump down the rabbit hole there isn't no coming back. just wondering how many knew about all of these and why do we need so many?

Hope you all enjoy reading anyhoo ! love to see your replies! xoxox

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Fermilab is in Illinois.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: dingdongdoodah

Super collider...I barely know her!

Sorry I had to =D

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
love how we have them in the uk LINK

LINK

LINK

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Particle accelerators in lots of universities around the world.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: dingdongdoodah
love how we have them in the uk LINK

LINK

LINK

I never knew , feel silly now but it was literally hidden in plain sight and I'm not an ignorant person never knew of the sheer volumes of these things !

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: UncleDoc

Particle accelerators in lots of universities around the world.

I know this now I just never really looked into it too much until this evening . it would appear more people are switched on than me. I did find for good research and amusement for several hours this evening so that is my Saturday night done!

on another note the one proposed for Texas looks huge in comparison to Switzerland !

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Any university doing nuclear research would have one--world wide. Defense contractors too.

Studying the ablative behavior of materials is big business. Especially the 2D materials that are being created.

Material science is about to explode and save mankind! Or at the very least, change it.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Any university doing nuclear research would have one--world wide. Defense contractors too.

Studying the ablative behavior of materials is big business. Especially the 2D materials that are being created.

Material science is about to explode and save mankind! Or at the very least, change it.

agreed I feel we are on the brink of something huge and while university's have smaller ones I was still flabbergasted to see the size of the one down in Texas what happened to this place? is it still there ? who owns it now?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I love how 9 out of ten are ring shaped too. its like ive found something fascinating to obsess over . I have done a fair bit into nuclear research but not in this direction per say not till today ah well another day learning is another day not wasted , its normally nuclear power . reactors and such. I like looking into the odd dab with quantum mechanics and fluctuations atm and my brothers are both physicists but its always odd topics can honestly say some of this creeped in but never about how many of these exist.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
are you f#cking kidding me?
there are dozens of particle accelerators
how stupid can this mandela effect get?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

why is it odd they are ring shaped?

would you expect a square?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: humanoidlord

Uh, what Mandela Effect?

ME is something that everyone knows was one way and then it is another with a group screaming it was always the wrong way and the rest of us knowing better.

No ME here.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
China building one thats bigger than cern .

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

did you know they form in nature all the time? there is also a giant one in space, think it has something to do with out magnetic poles and the sun but i forget the details. during strong lighting storms they form for short periods as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Nearly every university has two or three.

The limitation is usually related to power.

The ones at CERN are the most powerful so far.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dingdongdoodah
I love how 9 out of ten are ring shaped too. its like ive found something fascinating to obsess over . I have done a fair bit into nuclear research but not in this direction per say not till today ah well another day learning is another day not wasted , its normally nuclear power . reactors and such. I like looking into the odd dab with quantum mechanics and fluctuations atm and my brothers are both physicists but its always odd topics can honestly say some of this creeped in but never about how many of these exist.

Some are linear, too.

It is just that it's easier to build up momentum by successive circuits of a ring rather than the one-shot of a linear.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Hehe you'd be surprised.

Not sure about any ME but matter accelerators of some kind exist all over, some that are really hard to get info on... There's one (apparently) in the countryside near me.

If you really want to dig then I'd suggest looking up the civilian nuclear sector in the UK, it'll lead to company names, links with defence contractors and you might find tidbits about colliders/accelerators in the UK.

The UK is a nuclear power, with all the trimmings. Google says we have 7 nuclear plants with a total of 15 reactors, with more in the pipeline. So yeah, we'll have a lot of other nuclear related assets.
edit on 18-6-2017 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
There is one about 15 miles from my house.
www.jlab.org...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join