It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiananmen Square- June 4th, 1989.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Where were you, in 1989, when this took place? I was 25 years old, working in a warehouse out in the Shumagin Islands of Alaska. Our music program on the radio was interrupted by a breaking news bulletin...

For those of you who may not have even been born yet...

The Peoples Liberation Army had begun firing on civilians in Tiananmen Square in Beijing, in an effort to break up demonstrations against corruption in the Chinese Communist Party hierarchy.

Some common misconceptions about the massacre.

One man defies an army.

If any one image has ever defined a moment of courage, this one may be it. Daring to stare down a column of tanks, the day after a bloody massacre in the square and surrounding streets in Beijing and several other Chinese cities. No one knows the butchers bill, though estimates run from hundreds, into the thousands. Students. Academia. Day laborers. Farmers. The people in that square, and in other places throughout China ran the gamut of Chinese society. Most of them were much like you or I, though perhaps they had a trifle more courage than most of us...

They had to know that patience with their protests wouldn't by for long, and when it came time to "move along" it'd be done with brutal effectiveness... Yet they gathered anyway. Waving their signs, chanting...hoping that someone higher up would listen.

That's precisely what happened, isn't it? Someone listened, and got scared. The result? Thousands dead, many thousands more arrested and imprisoned.

What changed in China as a result of the protests and the following blood-letting? Did anything change?

Japan Times Article.

Another link.

To all appearances not a great deal has changed. The Chinese Govt. barely acknowledges anything happened at all.

What are the lessons of Tiananman Square almost thirty years on?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I was only two at the time.

That the government will massacre those who do not obey?

I suppose you could compare it to Waco in a sense.

Sad reality we live in, and even sadder that some people don't believe the government can kill their own for practically no reason whatsoever.

I hear rumours that Chinese google blocks the stories about Tiannamen Square too.
Maybe that's a myth.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This seems pretty random for June 13th 2017.

Any reason you picked right now to post this?

Just curious.
edit on 13-6-2017 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Living in Houston Tx area and 28 years old at that time working for a printing company on the night shift.

This story is a sad reminder of how TPTB are doing their best to erase parts of history that makes them look bad. It's ironic as the people that are destroying the reminders of the whites in the Civil War yet at the same time the blacks want to save areas such as Freedman's Town in Houston as it was the home to freed Civil War era slaves.

en.wikipedia.org...

94 Search Terms That China Bans Because Of Tiananmen Square

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Perhaps the choice of dates has something to do with this...

CHINA IN TURMOIL : Beijing Imposing Nationwide Ban on Protest Groups

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

A week and a little bit after the anniversary? Does there need to be an over-riding reason to remember the lives, and opportunities for change, lost that day, and the ones following?

As it happens, I ran across the date, and realized that no one had mentioned it here, so I figured I would. Sufficient reason?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I hear rumours that Chinese google blocks the stories about Tiannamen Square too. Maybe that's a myth.

I've heard that, too. I've no idea whether it's true or not. I know the govt. of China barely acknowledges it happened, so it wouldn't surprise me if it did. But I don't know.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

A week and a little bit after the anniversary? Does there need to be an over-riding reason to remember the lives, and opportunities for change, lost that day, and the ones following?

As it happens, I ran across the date, and realized that no one had mentioned it here, so I figured I would. Sufficient reason?

Yes of course. Really was just curious, not bashing.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Where were you, in 1989, when this took place? I was 25 years old, working in a warehouse out in the Shumagin Islands of Alaska. Our music program on the radio was interrupted by a breaking news bulletin...

For those of you who may not have even been born yet...

The Peoples Liberation Army had begun firing on civilians in Tiananmen Square in Beijing, in an effort to break up demonstrations against corruption in the Chinese Communist Party hierarchy.

Some common misconceptions about the massacre.

One man defies an army.

If any one image has ever defined a moment of courage, this one may be it. Daring to stare down a column of tanks, the day after a bloody massacre in the square and surrounding streets in Beijing and several other Chinese cities. No one knows the butchers bill, though estimates run from hundreds, into the thousands. Students. Academia. Day laborers. Farmers. The people in that square, and in other places throughout China ran the gamut of Chinese society. Most of them were much like you or I, though perhaps they had a trifle more courage than most of us...

They had to know that patience with their protests wouldn't by for long, and when it came time to "move along" it'd be done with brutal effectiveness... Yet they gathered anyway. Waving their signs, chanting...hoping that someone higher up would listen.

That's precisely what happened, isn't it? Someone listened, and got scared. The result? Thousands dead, many thousands more arrested and imprisoned.

What changed in China as a result of the protests and the following blood-letting? Did anything change?

Japan Times Article.

Another link.

To all appearances not a great deal has changed. The Chinese Govt. barely acknowledges anything happened at all.

I was 3. But I grew up hearing about it from lots of folks who distinctly remember the guy getting squashed by the tank. To be clear I'm not making an attempt to invoke the ol' Mandella Effect into this thread. Obviously I have no memory myself; however, with so many trusted people with that memory, and a conflicting official narrative, I have to wonder if TPTB have anything to do with how history remembers the event. Ehat is your memory?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
As far as I know, that brave mans fate remains unknown... I certainly don't know.

I suspect that his fate was unpleasant. Courage like that, no matter the outcome, is worthy of remembrance.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Well, if you live in China then you won't even know that Tiananmen Square ever existed, such is the pernicious and all enveloping censorship that goes on in the Chinese dictatorship. The Tiananmen Square protests cost upwards of 2,400 civilians killed by the state security apparatus.

Gotta love the Chinese.

top topics

join