It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

His Name Was Adam... CRE2017

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

His Name Was Adam

I was lost...everything looked different than it did before. The buildings that used to pepper the skyline, the well maintained highways...everything was nothing more than rubble now. The busyness of the city was replaced with deadening silence. A somber stillness that permeated every street, every building, every house you passed by. The cars that used to whiz by at high speed, now blocked the roads and stood still in their parking spaces... no one left to drive them. The owners of all these things were long gone, leaving only subtle clues that this place used to be something more.

Plastic bottles rolled along the gutters, brown bags scraped along the streets and the wind whistled high above you as it squeezed its way through the crumbling architecture and pushed onward to its destination. These sounds are what you hear as you travel through a city now. I'm sure they were there before, you just couldn't hear them over the horns honking and sirens blaring...the people yelling out to one another. Now, because the streets are so silent, these sounds are the most prominent ones. Even the rats are silent as they forage for food within the decrepit buildings and decaying houses we used to call homes.

That's what the world is like now. That is what it is to be alive "out there". I can sit here and describe almost every city I've visited exactly the same way. Like I'm still standing in it, like I'm looking at it and describing it in the present tense. Each one I passed through offered me a slight bit of hope, each one making me excited at the possibility that there was someone else left in this world. And after I had explored them thoroughly, each one crushed that hope, leaving me desolate and numb with the knowledge that I really was the only one left.

Where did all the people go? I've wondered that myself a few times. Certainly they left in a hurry...certainly they did not want to leave. Yet, it still remains a mystery to me what happened. All the towns, all the cities where life once blossomed were as dead as this last one. Every place I went was lifeless and still. And there was no reason that I should be here, in this forgotten world...no reason why I got left behind.

I went to sleep one night and woke up the next morning to this. Not accepting it at first, I walked from house to house, street to street in my neighborhood, knocking on doors and looking in windows. After awhile I started to walk from town to town, than from city to city doing the same. Always the same result, no one around. It's been a few years since I did that and for a long time after I just walked around and tried to survive. Picked up clothes, food, found places to shelter for the night. I used to carry a gun with me, but after months of not seeing another living soul, I pitched it along the side of the road. It was a way to accept what my mind was unwilling to...I was truly alone.

I'd sat there on the side of that road for ages, the harsh reality of my situation hitting me like a ton of bricks. An epic battle about whether I should toss the gun or just end it all then and there took place inside my head. And as soon as I knew I'd won the mental battle, I raised my arm and threw the weapon as hard as I could, watching it fly through the air, eventually losing sight of it as it disappeared in the overgrown vegetation. Now I rely on my knife to both open the cans of food and defend me if I ever need it to.

The sad part is...I've never needed it to. How ones thought processes change from wanting to avoid a fight to being sad there is not one to be had I'll never know. But that's the way it is now. I am so alone, I would be happy to meet someone on the road even if it ended in a physical altercation... a battle for my very life.

It wasn't until a few months ago that I ended my travels. Set up shop in a small little out of the way town. There isn't much here, but it does have a few streams and rivers in close proximity to it. The reason I chose it though was because I saw life in those rivers. Which was something that I hadn't really seen in a long time.

I walked into town at dusk and for the first time since I woke up, I heard the croaking of frogs and the singing of crickets. I witnessed the lightning bugs put on their light show in an overgrown field and heard the hoot of an owl somewhere in the distance. This place, it really feels more like the world I grew up in then anywhere else I've been so far. And somehow, I knew this was going to be my new home.

I wasn't gonna write any of this down. Hell, it is doubtful that anyone will ever read it. But, honestly, living in this little town has had a positive impact on me. I've started to care about things again...even planted a garden. A couple days ago I saw rabbits playing in what used to be town square. I swear I saw some deer last week as well. I guess when there is an absence of something, that is when you cherish it most. And I have come to cherish life and all its splendors, even the most simple ones.

This place, though, it offers hope. Maybe, just maybe there are survivors out there somewhere. I can't say for sure, but what I can do is create a paradise for them just in case. So, that's what I'm doing, instead of finding reasons to die, I'm finding new reasons to live. Keeping myself occupied with fixing the buildings up and making sure that there is running water, food and all the necessities of life for anyone that discovers this town. I've been planting fruit trees, landscaping, building and designing the perfect utopia for anyone who happens to show up here.

Now I know my purpose for surviving. It wasn't to make the world a better place for me, that would be impossible really. It was to make the world a better place for those who may come after me. To give them a chance at a new beginning and offer them hope for a better future then my own. I guess that was always humanities purpose, to make the future better for the next generation. I just never realized it until now....

Completing Simulation A1150919... Preparing subject A.D.A.M. for simulation A1150920...please wait

Download complete...the new world has been created... Simulation A1150920 initiated...

I was lost, nothing looked the same as it did before. The landscape had totally changed. Where there used to be skyscrapers and buildings there was nothing but rolling hills and foliage. It was like one day I was living in a highly advanced technological world and the next day I woke up back in prehistoric times....

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 1-6-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit! : /

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Wow this was really good. The picture's and the loading gif was a really nice touch.

You have just gave me some cool ideas

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Wonderful story, beautifully written. The struggle of a human to find a purpose, and she succeeded so very nobly.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Hi blend57!

I expected greatness from you and wasn't disappointed!

Really descriptive and I love how your character found an inner peace and feeling of self worth.
Apocalyptic, humane and a twist of sci-fi with the SIM! Absolutely ATS material!

S&F
jacy

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
jacygirl

Aww, that is very kind of you to say, Lady! That is really what it comes down to in the end I think. Finding a way to live in unlivable conditions. Not just to live..but to thrive. I would hope most find their way to such things eventually. The sims had to happen..huge Sci-Fi fan...anytime I can fit it into a story I do. ..lol

angeldoll, knowledgehunter0986

Thanks you guys. It was nice of you to take the time to read and comment. I just recently discovered how to make gifs..so, I wanted to include one in this story. That one isn't my own work..but it is one that I used to figure the process out with. (I know, it isn't that difficult, but still, it is a new to me and so something worth exploring a bit more)

here is my first ever gif..lol

(next one will be a bit more...well, more..lmao)

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond..
blend57

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I sure can relate to trying to thrive and live in unliveable conditions.
At some point you either get better...or bitter. (I chose better).

Huge sci-fi fan here too, so that was also a much appreciated addition to your story.

But I don't know how to make a gif...so I'm jelly, lol.
Sometimes I download a gif to post here, and then freak out when it doesn't move...hahaha...still a newbie with some things.
(just a chatty little *bump* for your story!!)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Champion story. Easy reading, not too complex but thought provoking. Thank you for this.

regards,

bally

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
As Jacy said:

originally posted by: jacygirl
I expected greatness from you and wasn't disappointed!

Motion seconded. I loved getting sucked in and wondering, "what the heck happened?"

Great job, blend, as always!

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
OMG, that was just awesome!!!!!!!! I really, really loved this one!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Your writings always captivate me and make me think more deeply about many different areas of my life and others. We are fortunate to have your presence!

new topics

top topics

join