It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 signs that you are smarter than average

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Just for fun, are you smarter than average? According to this report I am not quite so dumb as I think I am...tho I may be stretching some points a bit. Maybe just halfway smarter than average.

1. Mental illness

Disorders of mood could be the price some people pay for high intelligence, recent research finds. Psychologists have found that higher childhood IQ is linked to features of bipolar disorder in young adulthood. The research adds fuel to the debate over the connection between intelligence, creativity and mental health issues.

2. Worry People of high intelligence are more prone to anxiety than those of moderate intelligence. Indeed, anxiety may have co-evolved with intelligence - worrying may have given early humans a survival benefit in the ancient past (Coplan et al., 2012). It's just a pity that it's left intelligent people with higher levels of anxiety disorders.

3. New ideas Set against the higher levels of mental illness and anxiety, is the fact that more intelligent people are more likely to come up with new ideas. Historically, that might mean rejecting superstition and finding new ways of organizing society. One study argues that this explains why more intelligent people are more likely to be atheists and more likely to be politically liberal (Kanazawa et al., 2010). This study found that young adults who described themselves as 'very conservative' had an average IQ of 95, while those who described themselves as 'very liberal' had an average IQ of 106.

4. Loners The more that intelligent people socialize with their friends, the less satisfied they are with life, recent research finds. The finding challenges the accepted idea that socializing generally makes people happier. It may be that for some people — especially those with high intelligence — socializing does not increase life satisfaction. The possible reason why is intriguing...

5. The very bright sleep late People who are more intelligent tend to go to bed later and get uplink later (Kanazawa & Perina, 2009). The study examined the sleep habits of 20,745 adolescent Americans and found that on a weekday the 'very dull' went to bed at an average of 11:41 and woke up at 7:20. In contrast, the 'very bright' went to bed at 12:29 and got up at 7:52. At the weekend the differences were even more pronounced. ;;

6. Trusting Intelligent people are more likely to trust others, according to a new analysis of US public opinion poll data. This may be because more intelligent people are better judges of character. They found that people who were more trusting were also happier and had higher levels of physical health.

7. Lazy Lazy people are more likely to enjoy thinking, new research finds. On the other hand, those with who don't enjoy it need to 'do more stuff' in order to escape their own thoughts. Previous studies have found that people who like to think more have better memories and often take more time to make decisions and end up making better ones.

link

1. I am not bipolar but often depressed

2. Anxiety yes

3. So intelligence seems to be related to atheism. Well I am agnostic. Seems to me it is about questioning the status quo.

4. Loner. Yep... chit chat about nothing is difficult.

5. Sleep late, yep...old but sleep at least 9 hours. I prefer to think it is because the brain (which takes 20% of our energy, so I have read) makes me tired but probably it is because I drink myself to sleep.

6. Nope not a good judge of character off the bat, takes observation. Still sometimes wishful thinking has prevailed

7. Lazy...yes, this is me. Would much prefer spending my time learning than doing. That said, I did have my creative time in life.

Does anyone else think this study makes them smart?

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Makes me as dumb as a rock but I already knew that

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Perhaps some correlation. An interesting fact, Einstein's son was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Makes me as dumb as a rock but I already knew that

Or are you just someone who has to work (I am retired) and doesn't have time to indulge yourself. You are on ATS !

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

What's the question?

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I am retired .

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Yes to all, but I do not think I am smart. Who cares.

It's about focus and discipline. Smart will only get you so far as many can be filled with idea. Focus and Discipline will see that they are executed to measure..which maybe appears smart, but to me is just good planning and good business.

Peace.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
An IQ of 106 may be higher than 95, but neither is very high overall.

Did they actually study people with high IQs for this or just people with average IQs?

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

yes, I noticed that. 106 is considered average. So is 95. I have no one in my family below 106 except the ex. But they were looking at the average... It is just for fun..not serious imo.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Being that I am exposed to the general public on a daily basis and watch them waiting for an elevator without pushing the button, I'm good.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
As you live a little, you quickly realize that a lot of smart people aren't all that bright. You also get a lot of wisdom from those would be considered uneducated.

I can't tell you how many Doctors and advanced degree holders I've come across who could barely tie their shoes. They are smart on paper, but they would get hustled by a 10 year old on a subway. Alternatively, some of the wisest people I've met barely finished high school.

I think highly successful people and geniuses tend to be extremely focused which is what makes them so unique. The average person simply does not have the drive or stamina to be great.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The biggest difference between high IQ and lower IQs is how quickly a person can master knowledge.

Higher IQ brains process and master knowledge much quicker and earlier.

That's really about it. We tend to call then geniuses because they can absorb more faster than others, but that doesn't mean they will or that their advantage will be put to use. A lot of highly able kids simply wash out because their needs aren't met or recognized so they're stifled or their abilities come with difficult temperaments or masked by learning disabilities like dyslexia that don't impair mental ability by do impair one's ability to put it to work efficiently.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I think those "signs of intelligence" were created by lazy, anxious, crazy, loners who are desperate to convince other people they're intelligent.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

So being a lonely depressed atheist who's prone to anxiety, laziness
and sleeping disorders is intelligent?

Check!

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
As you live a little, you quickly realize that a lot of smart people aren't all that bright. You also get a lot of wisdom from those would be considered uneducated.

I can't tell you how many Doctors and advanced degree holders I've come across who could barely tie their shoes. They are smart on paper, but they would get hustled by a 10 year old on a subway. Alternatively, some of the wisest people I've met barely finished high school.

I think highly successful people and geniuses tend to be extremely focused which is what makes them so unique. The average person simply does not have the drive or stamina to be great.

Yes, I agree completely. Have a brother with a double masters but only believes what he reads in books that reinforce his belief. Education does not equate to intelligence.
edit on 26-5-2017 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Education is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing you don't put it in a fruit salad.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

Yes, you may be right but maybe you are intelligent because you don't know how to have a little fun and laugh at yourself.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

The Wizard of Oz is a great story. Dorothy get's bonked on the head. In the story she meets the lion who wants to find courage. Yet in the movie he's the only one who acts courageously. She meets the tin man and he wants find a heart. Yet he's the only one who cries and has compassion. And the she meets the straw man who wanted a brain but he's the only one who solves problems with his brain. It's not until Dorothy meets the wizard behind the curtain that she wakes up from her dream. It turns out that the lion, tin man, straw man, and wizard (king) are all parts of Dorothy herself.

People who are intelligent do not have to be convinced.

P.S. I have every one of those things except #7. I do lots of stuff all the time which makes me stay up later at night and get less sleep.

edit on 26-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I'm too lazy to read through this.

Skimmed to the bottom.

Yep. I knew it.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Funny, I find just the opposite. The people who think education makes you stupid really are stupid.

I was at a prep school today near Princeton. It costs $20,000 per student per year to attend. I was going to the men's room and I passed this wall. It's title was "Fifth Grade Class: Investing In The Stock Market" and there were results of how well fifth grade students were doing with their investment strategies. It just seems to me having an education gives you advantages and opportunities other people simple do not have.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join