It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Germans the Best Engineers in the World I say Yes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

i did a little more reseach, the special project groups was a sister company of Ilmor Engineering. Mario Illien and Roger Penske bought it.

from the wiki

In 2005, Mario Illien concluded a deal to purchase the Special Projects part of the company in partnership with Roger Penske, which was under contract with Honda Performance Development to jointly develop IndyCar engines from 2003-2006 (with the relationship continuing through 2011).[1] This new company, which is totally independent of Mercedes, is once again known as Ilmor Engineering Ltd.

and

Ilmor Engineering, Inc. - expansion to the U.S.[edit] Ilmor Engineering, Inc., a sister company to Ilmor U.K., was incorporated in 1990 (President - Paul Ray) with the primary goal of providing engineering support to customers using the Ilmor Ltd.-manufactured Chevrolet 265A Indy Car engine. In 1998, the headquarters moved from its original facility in Redford, Michigan, into a custom-built, 28,000-square-foot (2,600 m2) facility in Plymouth, Michigan.

The new facility housed all of the necessary disciplines to support the Indy Car program including design, engineering, engine building, engine test, performance development and trackside support functions. From its start as an Indy Car engineering and trackside support group Ilmor, Inc.’s capabilities have grown to encompass design and analysis tools, engine and sub-systems test capabilities – including emissions compliance benches, precision manufacturing, electronics and wiring design and manufacture, and facilities for service and support.

Today, the expanded facility (over 44,000 square feet) houses more than 80 people, and produces high performance products in multiple powertrain related arenas including auto racing, boat racing, high-performance road cars, high performance offshore powerboats and custom V-twin motorcycles.

so it appears to be a amercian based company now and at least one U.S. citizen Roger Penske is part owner.
and the engines are With manufacturing based in Brixworth, Northamptonshire.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I used to think so myself. Until I tried working with some German engineers on a project. Their arrogance stopped them from understanding their last 40 years of designs had massive limitations. So I ended up doing all the work from scratch in New Zealand.

They since tried to copy my designs and failed. Losing a lot of money in the process.

Maybe thinking they were naturally superior was stopping them from learning.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

There is really no question about it. Who are the competition?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
We outsource the more boring tasks to the UK...

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
We outsource the more boring tasks to the UK...

Because you don't know how they should be done.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Germans do make some good stuff. Thgose cars they make are so good and since way back have been cutting edge especially in design. Not sure the stuff is still that well made compared to the competition these days but the engineering is fantastic. Do Mercedes still build things as well as the W123? Well maybe not but the cars are still beautiful.

Then again their stuff does seem to break pretty easily. Clocks................ The Made in Germany Braun just break down after twenty years, while all three Made in USSR / Russia Slava alarm clocks are still going

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Yes, that´s the reason... (feel better now?)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

Yes, that´s the reason... (feel better now?)

Much better thanks.

Germans do know how to cheat on car emission controls.

In fact they are the world leaders.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
You know why the British don't make computers? They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil!

we can do this, alldaylong...

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm sure most F1 cars are made in Britain.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I don't know about the best, the English make pretty damn good cars. Astin Martin for example, founded in 1913 by Lionel Martin and Robert Bamford. While Hitler Inspired and authored the VW.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I don't think this a very good example to prove "Germany" has the "best" engineers.

Anyone can have precision expectations and wait around till a manufacturing technique can meet those expectations.

Trouble is, who is going to pay for that and wait around for it.

Being a project manager in North America, I can tell you that in almost all cases, the only thing anyone gives a snip about is time and money. Don't miss the deadline and don't go over budget. Give me all the time and money I ask for and I can build you anything you want. I doubt I'll have to fly to Germany to find the only engineers that could make it happen.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Of course you can´t say that, it was fun on my part saying "hell yes". Just look at Stuttgart 21, the "Elb-harmonie" and most embarassing, the berlin airport.

But when it comes to special crafts, engineering and precision, there is a reason why german speaking countries (the swiss and austria) and Japan are so excelling in those fields.

Long standing traditions, the language, upheld values and pride of work. I´m not saying other countries do not have that, can´t be like that, but if you look at Japan, they too value that. Of course, the problem is that nowadays, most german tools for the private sector are over-engineered pieces of crap because of those exact "good" points I mentioned.

All in all, of course we do not have "the best", that would be childish to say.. Greetings from that ant, made in Germany. ...a little bit of peacocking should be allowed here
edit on 17-5-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RisenMessiah

We make the machines that make the british cars, just to add

No seriously, south Germany is big on exporting automation equipment. Festo, Bosch, Siemens, ABB and let´s not forget the countless specialized robotics "blacksmiths". Something in your near surrounding is made by a german machine, with high probability. Not joking, I worked in this field.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I agree that German technology is a credit to the Automotive industry.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickterI was reading about the bike industry on Taiwan. Most of the equipment to manufacture cones from Germany

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

The reason why so much is overengineered is exactly partly the reason why we are good toolmakers: pride. Because, no, we can´t just engineer and produce a working circular saw, we have to engineer the crap out of it, just because. And in the end, there is a complicated plug-mechanism for the mains wire, instead of just leaving it.

I have the model from like 25 years ago, still works like a charm. Magnesium and aluminum, sturdy as hell.
Here is a review of the newest iteration of my circular track saw. It´s a shame. AvE, I love to watch this guys videos he speaks out of my mind in most cases.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
History is in their favor.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

The first computer resembling today's modern machines was the Analytical Engine, a device conceived and designed by British mathematician Charles Babbage between 1833 and 1871.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Next #s from the EU, will lead to bankruptcy of German car industry branches in the US

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join