It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Germans the Best Engineers in the World I say Yes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The Germans are the best engineers in the world:

This shows article proves Germans are the best engineers in the world:

phys.org...

Remarkable fidelity

Results showed a remarkable fidelity to the design of the highly complex magnetic field. "To our knowledge," the authors write of the discrepancy of less than one part in 100,000, "this is an unprecedented accuracy, both in terms of the as-built engineering of a fusion device, as well as in the measurement of magnetic topology."

Amazing!!!!! I think the W7-X is the nuclear fusion equivalent to the 1903 Wright Flyer. December 2016 was the first flight!

Addendum: It's first flight was actually in 2015:

www.world-nuclear-news.org...

edit on 15-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
15 years ago I'd say yes, now, I really don't know.

The world has become one big copy machine.

I wouldn't trade any of my 40's era knives or machinery for anything, but lately their stuff is no different than anyone else's. Some is actually worse. (Trw group built cars).
A good question , nonetheless. ..

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

0:24 "It's made in Germany. You know the Germans always make good stuff."

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

The aim for the first operation phase (OP 1.1) at Wendelstein 7-X (from 10 December 2015 to 10 March 2016) was to conduct integrated testing of the most important systems as quickly as possible and to gain first experience with the physics of the machine. Therefore, the divertor and most of the graphite tiles of the baffles and wall protection elements had not been installed for this first phase...

The longest discharges possible during this phase lasted for six seconds [at 10 million °C] with a heating power of 0.6 MW provided by microwaves. Shorter discharge pulses were produced with a heating power of up to 4.3 MW. The limiters as well as the magnetic field of the stellarator worked excellently: The plasma vessel structures showed no evidence of damage.

Max-Planck Institute for Plasma Physics (ippp.mpg.de), newsetter, May 9, 2017 - Information about the Wendelstein 7-X fusion device.

They're being modest! They had to wait 10 years before computing power caught up to do the calculations. Then they had to have computer controlled machine make all the parts. Then a laser guided welder helped them put all the pieces in place. The thing is operating within something like 1/100000th of what they expected for their magnetic fields (would have to verify the number but it is ridiculous!)!

So yeah, the machine they devised is an awesome piece of machinery!

But this this is a world-wide effort. The cameras were made Hungry (corrected), other parts, Italy, Ireland, US of A, England, etc. It is a consortium of countries. ETA: 29 EU countries are the main researchers with something like another 10 countries (US is PPPL)

With the inertially cooled TDU [test diverter unit] and the full coverage of heat shields and baffles with carbon tiles, Wendelstein 7-X will be ready for high power plasmas (8 MW) lasting up to 10 seconds. This campaign is scheduled to start in the first half of 2017.

(same source) Newsletter, April 2016.

Sounds like they are almost ready to start back up! YAY!
edit on 15-5-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: spelling issue

edit on 15-5-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: found sources

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The supercomputer that optimised it is the best engineer to be honest

Pretty cool construction though, hopefully it works better than they expect

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Nichtz!
edit on 15-5-2017 by manuelram16 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I was actually reading the newsletter when this thread popped up!

It goes on to explain they put all the cooling systems in back in 2015. They laser scanned the interior where the tiles were to be attached. They then calculated the optimum dimensions. They took it all and sent it off to a CAD company that did all the calculations for 8,000 carbon heat shielding tiles. When the data came back to Max-Planck, they double checked everything and entered it into their 5-axis milling machine!! They milled the tiles to "0.01 mm" of optimal fit! They then heated the tiles "in vacuum at 2000 °C" to burn off any impurities and drive off any moisture.

4,500 of the 8,000 tiles have been installed!

(April 2017 newsletter)

That is pretty d@mn cool!!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I will admit Germany do make brilliant cars etc, another big guy is British engineering most off the world uses it in one form or another.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

The supercomputer that optimised it is the best engineer to be honest

Pretty cool construction though, hopefully it works better than they expect

Not just the supercomputer, but the software running on the supercomputer. Applications that are used to do finite element analysis, magnetic field modelling, fluid dynamics. With the latest software engineers can try out different designs in real-time in day rather than having to wait weeks.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

They make some very cool audio gear too, speakers primarily..I have 2 sets both made in Germany.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I like their washing machines.

But Japan makes them giant robots.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I'm actually working with a bunch of German Engineers for my summer internship. While I wouldn't say they're bad... they are extremely frustrating to work with. Putting it in a nice way, what they make is extremely purpose built, with little ability for additional applications.

I have never seen harder to work with CAD drawings in my life.
edit on 15-5-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
Versatility and precision are on opposite vectors.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: trisvonbis
a reply to: Aazadan
Versatility and precision are on opposite vectors.

Not in this case.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Are Germans the Best Engineers in the World I say Yes

Hell YES!

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
I will admit Germany do make brilliant cars etc, another big guy is British engineering most off the world uses it in one form or another.

German car engines are crap

www.autoexpress.co.uk...

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
What about Mercedes, top 3.

in a 4 year old article, mind you...
edit on 16-5-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
What about Mercedes, top 3.

in a 4 year old article, mind you...

If Mercedes make good engines, then tell me why are Mercedes F1 engines designed and built in England ?

www.theverge.com...

edit on 16-5-2017 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

well they haven't been a british owned company for ten years. wholly owned by Mercedes-Benz.
from a link in your link

2002-2005 Mercedes-Benz is handed control of Ilmor's UK company through a phased buy-out program.
Ilmor Engineering,

now i'm sure there are still british engineers working there, but after ten years, it's all Mercedes-Benz driven and controlled.
edit on 16-5-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

well they haven't been a british owned company for ten years. wholly owned by Mercedes-Benz.
from a link in your link

2002-2005 Mercedes-Benz is handed control of Ilmor's UK company through a phased buy-out program.
Ilmor Engineering,

now i'm sure there are still british engineers working there, but after ten years, it's all Mercedes-Benz driven and controlled.

However all the design and build is done by British Engineers.

Rolls Royce is also German owned, but yet again all design and build is British.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join