It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reviving religious discussions on ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I have noticed that threads that have to do with religion are starting to become very rare here on ATS. So I've been thinking about how to tackle this 'problem' and I think I may have found a solution that could solve this problem a little bit.

I introduce to you..... The ReligiousQuestionDude! (lol, I know it sounds ridiculous)

My purpose will be to ask YOU a religious question, you see, the threads I will be making will all revolve around the answers you give. I ask the questions, you give the answers based on what you believe/think. You can basically make a thread in my thread, if the question interests you enough of course.

And since almost half of the world's population follows an Abrahamic religion it's logic most questions will have to do with Christianity, Islam and Judaism.

The only obstacle I see in going through with this are the ATS rules. Threads with minimal content are not allowed so I will have to be creative in how to get around that ...

I also have to add that I will stay neutral, no provocative questions.

So ATS, do you like the idea?

EDIT: To answer a PM I just received: Yes I will also ask questions about non mainstream religions. If you have a particular interesting religion related question in mind, feel free to send me a PM.

edit on 13-5-2017 by ReligiousQuestionDude because: Edit

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ReligiousQuestionDude

Yes, I do! I love theological discussions and think your idea about format is interesting and should be really fun.

edit on 13-5-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Religion is an issue which is very difficult to objectively discuss. That is exactly why it must be discussed. I wish you the best.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I totally recognize your vibe.
Shouldn't it be the Religious Question Dudet?

Anyways....
Every ideology is a religion in several ways.

Think about politics or science or music fan groups or whatever.
They become dogmatic, doctrinal, and carry various degrees of idolatry.
Is there anything that isn't a cult?

I'm asking you the religious question now....
edit on 5/13/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
All the questions and discussions have been had ad nauseum. They all invariably become circular debates.

No one is bringing anything new to the table.

But I have to disagree on the lack of threads. There have been just as many as ever.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

lets have some religious threads exploring alternative mythologies and pantheons. does anyone on these forums subscribe to odin? how about thoth? osiris? krishna? quetzlcoatl? lugh? i think that would be fascinating. there are more than enough discussions centering around the muslim and abrahamic faiths. time to think outside the box.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Exactly that ^^^

A few years ago that was most of my time on ATS (reading mostly, but I read almost all of them for a year). Eventually the "chats" turned into a mumbled collection of (paraphrasing here):

sky fairy
"I don't believe you"
"oh yeah? I don't believe YOU"
off topic warnings
post removed

Don't get me wrong, I love a good discussion. But as WIB just said, there really isn't anything new being put on the table. Most of my curiosities on ATS now are readily explained with search, I find it fascinating to read threads from way back

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Just before some of you comment or posit.

No, the OP is not a second account of mine...

Inside joke with some religious members whom I frequently get in long discussions with

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

My thread involving Bill Nye has some religious discussion, come and join in:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 5/13/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This topic is one where the participants have to agree both to disagree and to do so with respect for others or else there is no real discussion taking place.

It's the respect part that often falls short.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Do we get to ask you questions…like for example…

What’s your religious persuasion…?

And why the sudden interest in patching up the RFT section, when you’ve only been with us, a whole day! lol

Anyway, it sounds like a great idea…I practically live lol in the RFT section…so count me in…

ETA - S+F

- JC

edit on 13-5-2017 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I like the idea! I hope to participate

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
So how exactly will this work? Do I ask you to ask me a question? Also who chooses the context of the question?
edit on 5/13/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReligiousQuestionDude
I have noticed that threads that have to do with religion are starting to become very rare here on ATS.

Not as common as they used to be, but they haven't vanished. I keep a close eye on this Theology forum, and there are usually several new threads a week.
I normally provide one a week myself- though, as it happens, I've been diverting to the Prophecies forum for the last few weeks.

Don't forget that controversies really belong in the "Conspiracies in religion" forum.
The original instruction for this forum, which used to appear at the top of every thread, is;
"Discuss all things spiritual, and share your own faith-based experiences".

edit on 13-5-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Did I miss the question? What religious question do you have?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Be prepared for a troll fest.

There is a real movement in here to ridicule Christianity and push Islam.

If you can break through that, it ought to be interesting.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Gnosisisfaith! Here we go once again.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Did I miss the question? What religious question do you have?

He has plenty under a plethora of ATS user names that have been banned over the last year and a half. Don't you recognize his M.O's yet? NOt yet just give him some time he will reveal himself by revealing things he has already shared many many many times it is getting sickening to even deal with him/them/her/it.

edit on 14-5-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I have a question!!! What other screen names have you participated on ats with in the last 3 years?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Ages ago, in the dark days of 2009
, I participated in a discussion (couldn't really call it a debate) with Republican08. You can check it out here:
Republican08 Series I: Discussions with a Muslim

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, there was never a series 2.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join