It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions on a Macbook I got that wont work with Safari but will with Chrome, help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Ok I got a Macbook, it's an older model. I normally use Safari as a browser because well it's a Mac and I prefer Safari, however I can't get youtube and other sites to load on it. It tells me to enable JavaScript and it is. So I downloaded CHROME and it works fine on chrome. This is what the Macbook has.

Ok so I was unable to upload pics via Chrome but could via Safari. I'm hella confused lol I know the Macbook is older but it was only $100! I have an iMac desktop but needed a laptop and so far it does what I want. I just want to know if I can upgrade any part of this thing like memory or something.

****ALSO no comments about buying a PC and all that crap, I dont want one and those who know me here know that it will be a cold day in hell when I own a PC***

Thanks!

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Paperweight. What did you want for $100? Dump the entire O.S. and reinstall everything it will hold new...which may be not able to hold what you expect.

*PS. We go every week to resales and shops etc and see laptops all the time. Looks great...cheap....but no guarantee what will happen at home. So I wouldnt think of getting one without expecting the minimum if lucky and would expect to rebuilt it from scratch...because you never know..
edit on 12-5-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The general advice would be to reset the pram and upgrade the ram to as much as you can afford and then reinstall the OS as who knows what sort of crap the previous owner did to the machine, should be doable to get most of it done in a day easily if you have the install media to hand.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Paperweight. What did you want for $100? Dump the entire O.S. and reinstall everything it will hold new...which may be not able to hold what you expect.

Did I or did I NOT say no stupid comments? What are you contributing besides sarcasm?

It was all reinstalled like new when I bought it. I bought it because I wanted a laptop and I couldn't afford a new Macbook or even a newer used one. I have an iMac desktop which cost $3000 (mothers day gift when I had my son) but again I wanted a laptop, I also have an iPad and 3 iPhones so I know wtf I'm talking about and I am very well aware that it's an older model. If it was a paperweight it wouldn't be online now would it. So unless you can actually answer my question find another place to troll.

I believe I asked a specific question and you sir or mam did not answer. Thanks but no thanks.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Maybe this will help:

Apple support

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I was a long time satisfied with Safari but ultimately it could not keep up with the times and wouldn't play some vids and I got "doesn't support browser" messages on youtube and gmail. I tried chrome but it brought in new issues and continued to frustrate me. My solution was Firefox, which I used to have reservations for because I couldn't make it like Safari, but after educating myself and taking the time to customize Firefox,I now love it.

Try to install this Firefox, it matches your current OS. If you still experience issues, find OS 10.7.5.

Good luck

edit on 12-5-2017 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Wish I could help Mblahnik...

long time no speak, but for this, cant offer an option

ignore the dicks with their crap. I'll have a dig, and hopefully find something..

Miss a good recipe, btw.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Is it just sites with video content that you're having problems with?

Try updating Flash directly (always!) from the Adobe Flash Player download page. It is still providing the download for 10.6.x

If you already have the current version of Adobe Flash Player installed, you may need to tweak your Safari Preferences for Flash Player.

Step-by-step guide, learn how to enable Adobe Flash Player in the Safari web browser.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
The general advice would be to reset the pram and upgrade the ram to as much as you can afford and then reinstall the OS as who knows what sort of crap the previous owner did to the machine, should be doable to get most of it done in a day easily if you have the install media to hand.

I bought it from a computer store. The guy rebuilds and sells both PC and Mac's.

He did wipe it like it was new. I just want to know my Safari doesn't work properly yet Chrome does. I knew with it being older it wasn't going to be like my previous Macbook. If I have to use chrome that's fine. I honestly bought it to make applying for jobs easier because with a 4 year old it's impossible to get alone time on my desktop! He leaves me be with the laptop lol

So I can upgrade the ram then?

Thanks for your reply!!

MODS APPLAUSE THIS MEMBER PLEASE!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Maybe this will help:

Apple support

Yea thanks but I find better answers when I come to my favorite ATS

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: waftist
I was a long time satisfied with Safari but ultimately it could not keep up with the times and wouldn't play some vids and I got "doesn't support browser" messages on youtube and gmail. I tried chrome but it brought in new issues and continued to frustrate me. My solution was Firefox, which I used to have reservations for because I couldn't make it like Safari, but after educating myself and taking the time to customize Firefox,I now love it.

Try to install this Firefox, it matches your current OS. If you still experience issues, find OS 10.7.5.

Good luck

AWESOME! Yes that was the problem I was having "doesn't support browser" or it kept asking me to enable Java which IS enabled. I have Chrome on this now, which I don't care for. I use to use firefox alot on a previous Mac I had and loved it! Thanks a lot!!

MODS APPLAUD THIS ONE TOO!
edit on 5/13/2017 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
discussions.apple.com...

1. System Preferences > Other/ Flash Player > Advanced > Delete All
Press the "Delete All" button

2. Install Adobe Flash Player.

get.adobe.com...

Quit Safari.

Restart computer. Relaunch Safari.

3. Enable Plug-ins

Safari > Preferences > Security

Web Content: > "Enable Plug-ins".
or
Internet Plug-ins > "Allow all other plug-ins

4. Check whether you are currently in YouTube HTML 5 trial.

www.youtube.com...

At the bottom left of the page uncheck the box beside

"You are currently in the HTML5 trial".

5. Reset Safari.

Click Safari in the menu bar.
From the drop down select "Reset Safari".
Uncheck the boxes next to all items.
Check the box next to "Remove all website data".
Click "Reset".

6. Turn off Extensions, if any.

Safari > Preferences > Extensions

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
Wish I could help Mblahnik...

long time no speak, but for this, cant offer an option

ignore the dicks with their crap. I'll have a dig, and hopefully find something..

Miss a good recipe, btw.

Hey long time no see!! How ya been?!

Haha yea I have to ignore them!

I'm trying to get my pics loaded to this computer to do some recipe threads and now I have a mini chef, my son who will be 4 in a few weeks. HE LOVES to cook and can cook like his momma! I haven't made any recipes lately because I couldn't load pics to ATS from my iphone it wouldn't support my images which is odd because that's how I made many recipes in the past lol. Damn Apple! I still love them though! I am now able to upload pics with this laptop so soon recipes will be posted!!

Hope you're doing well!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

WOW you rock! Thanks so much!! This is great information!!!

Mod APPLAUD THIS ONE TOO!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I didnt think my basic premise was stupid at all. As far as buying anything used and reconditioned as opposed to in-the-box-and-clean-new...there is a vast difference, but not to imply not to purchase them.

We do see these stacked in the stores and glass cases...and I still suggest we cannot rely on their integrity...because someone else had it 1st. Even if the store or seller has reconditioned or rebuilt it clean...Thats all.

Ok? No offense meant.....and Good luck with it!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Have you tried throwing it away and getting a PC?

Hi, Mblah.

new topics

top topics

join