It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan on buying new smart TV 40" any suggestions?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Said no man ever.

I go by available wall space.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

40" to 45" is perfect for the room. The couch is about 11' from the screen, so 32 is a tad small but 40 is just about perf.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

yeah i said the same thing. i have a 46" about 10 feet from the couch.......

a 55" would of been better. lol

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
You know, if you buy the warrantee the thing never breaks down. If you don't buy the warantee it breaks down right after the factory warrantee is done. So to make sure it lasts and never gives you a bit of trouble, buy the extended warrantee.

How do they do that?

That is good advice for any expensive thing jammed with electronics, especially washers and dryers that combine mechanical things with electronic things. The DC motors in new wasters and dryers are subject to more failures than the old constant speed AC motors. Worse, a circuit board that cost maybe 5 bucks to build by a robot will cost you the price of an arm.

I hate to say it, but the extended warranty on any device that is not at a "throw away" price will probably be worth it in peace of mind if nothing else. Or, did I mentioned extended warranties on cars?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Here my friend. Also check the link for a chart.

What’s the Viewing Distance?
Everyone likes sitting close to the TV. We did as kids and got yelled at, but now that it’s our home we can sit as close as we want! That is unless you want a super sized HDTV. Sitting closer to the TV can actually diminish the quality of the viewing experience not to mention the acoustics if you have a surround sound system. Let’s say you have your eye on a 52″ HDTV. You’re going to want to make sure your viewing area is at least 6 feet away from the TV to be able to enjoy the optimal cinematic experience.

Amazon.com has come up with a simple formula for determining the best size TV based on your viewing distance from the screen. To determine the maximum size TV screen you would divide the length of your viewing distance by 1.5. Instead of messing with the math I love this quick reference chart that Amazon developed to show you the TV sizes you should consider based on where you’ll be seated to watch TV:

blog.coldwellbanker.com...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I have a bunch of LG and highly recommend them. Check walmart.com the refirb/returned are great deals.

For my mom it was a LG 49" for $250, it's $350 now though....

I think the LG 4k 55" was the best deal last I looked.

55" is the bomb, that's my main unit.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I am running two Vizios, 55" in livong room and 43" in bedroom. Bought the bedroom one last and learned a valuable lesson. Though the box stated Smart, it requires ios or android software to be "smart", and it also doesn't have a tuner, so no broadcast channels unless I buy a stand alone tuner. I use Apple TV and PS4 apps for viewing. On me for not reading the box closer, but based on price, just thought it would be similar to living room model. So in the end, I guess just a suggestion to read the box on whatever you buy carefully. Oh, and the 55" has bee going strong for 6+ years...the 43" in bedroom replaced a Samsung that lasted about 3...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Maxatoria
Lap tops and tablets are not burning.

The first Samsung I bought was manufactured with undersized capacitors-lots of complaints. This Tv lasted 2-3 years

The second was a westinghouse that lasted 6 months.

We have a flat screen that we have for video games for my son, it is 4ish years old-the software is funky and will work with Netflix when it suits it.

We do run 120v 60h.

Those have bricks and have good built in protection....TVs not so much.
Have had lots o luck with Vizio . And they stand by their products.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
I am running two Vizios, 55" in livong room and 43" in bedroom. Bought the bedroom one last and learned a valuable lesson. Though the box stated Smart, it requires ios or android software to be "smart", and it also doesn't have a tuner, so no broadcast channels unless I buy a stand alone tuner. I use Apple TV and PS4 apps for viewing. On me for not reading the box closer, but based on price, just thought it would be similar to living room model. So in the end, I guess just a suggestion to read the box on whatever you buy carefully. Oh, and the 55" has bee going strong for 6+ years...the 43" in bedroom replaced a Samsung that lasted about 3...

If I may ask , which models did you get ? I have 2 Vizio 55s 4k and one 47 4k . All have on-screen display w/o apps
May be I have earlier models.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

We are looking at the vizio 48". I grabbed my fluke and checked I am @ 121 volts and 60.02 hz.

Do you like the chromecaste?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

We are looking at the vizio 48". I grabbed my fluke and checked I am @ 121 volts and 60.02 hz.

Do you like the chromecaste?

I personally do not use it...I usually have TV on as "white noise" while PC gaming.Yeah , I know , a waste of money for a TV , right ?
Also , I use Sponge Bob as a sleep inducer. Works every time....

edit on 5/7/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Nope, I have my tv on as white noise as well. Is it a bitch using netflix? I watched some youtube vids about it but no one goes into the how it works with netflix.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Sponge bob? Kinda loud sleep aid.... But hey if it works.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Get a roku tv. Mines made by tcl. It's cheap, smart, well it does the job. 2 years no issues other than using the remote and I downloaded the app so I don't use the remote anymore

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I've always had LG tvs, never had any issues with them, last one lasted a good 8 years before I decided to upgrade. My latest is a smart TV, but we hardly ever use the "smart" part.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I like this chart.

According to this I can put a 96 inch tv in my bedroom. Now I'm really going to have to sweet talk my wife.

However my 55" room is fine as well. Shoudl of gone bigger. damm. lol

edit on 8-5-2017 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Don't buy a smart tv, plug in a computer in it instead. Everything will be free!!!

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It's so easy to wifi cast screen from PC to the TV now...no wires. I assume smart tvs do it without a box, but I cast to a SONY BR player that has media player functions. I like the SONY so much I buy a new one every year because the unit gets better and faster all the time. Smart tvs seem slow and lagging by comparison because they aren't upgradable, like when I get a new box or Sony BRP.

I think the thing to have now is an Android box or something that plays Kodi, like a Fire Stick or PC.

I also "burn" MP4 to USB sticks for when internet goes down, and to share shows like Peep Show with friends. USB sticks can play in any tv pretty easy, no box needed.

50" in my bedroom because I have a small house and we use the bedroom all day. Plus, the LR is cold all winter, so we retreat to the BR. This 50" was the previous LR tv, about 3-4 yr now. Previous was a 50" Panasonic, "only" like 6 yr old...never a problem, but the frame was bulky, etc...

The 55" in the LR works nice because, lol, we watch it from the BR when the door or curtain is open.

edit on 8-5-2017 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I'm a huge fan of Samsung, despite the spying thing (I'm pretty sure they all do at this point).

I can't think of a single issue I've ever had with a Samsung product, they always last a long time for me and seem like good quality.

I would go with any of the brands you're looking at, Sony, LG, Samsung.

Like other people have said, I would go bigger. I think mine is a 50 inch and it seems small, despite my set up having it relatively close to the couch. I think there's some weird 1 inch cut off where you start paying way more, thought it was between 59 and 60.

It's been awhile since I've looked into it, decided it's not all that important to me to get something bigger, but if you actually need a new one might as well get what you want and not regret it.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I have a Panasonic 50" plasma. Best tv I've ever had and it is 7 years old. Still going strong.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join