It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan on buying new smart TV 40" any suggestions?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
OK little history.

Samsung-2.5 years burns out-think it was a capacitor but didn't see any problems on the board. ( I am no electrician)
Westinghouse- 6 months burns out-see above same fricken deal. Burned out yesterday-nothing visual on the board even though I heard the crack-il of death and the smell of ozone.

I am currently looking at an LG - 43" - Smart - HDTV - Black Model: 43LJ550M (Favorite)----Sony - 40" class Model: KDL40W650D---
--Samsung - 40" Model: UN40MU6300FXZA

All fall into 300-500$. I don't want to buy another TV that will end up in the trash in 2 years. I am even considering buying the $70 warranty something I have never considered.

Any other input from ATS folks?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

At Samsung, TV watches you.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I won't be buying any smart TV simply because there are too many privacy risks associated with it. I don't like the idea of having any kind of tech that can learn my habits or watch me while I watch TV.

As long as it has internet connectivity, thats all that is necessary in my opinion. Do what you want though, it's your money/privacy if you don't care. LOL

edit on 7-5-2017 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

So that's a no on samsung? I already threw one in the trash after 2 years. I did read that they undersized the capacitors and they failed-.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I like the samsungs, cause of their cross compatability

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You get what you pay for in a TV, that is a guaranteed fact no matter what big name brand you pick. Just don't pick a brand you have never heard of before. Also a good idea is try to look into OLED TVs. They are the best of the best as far as bang for your buck.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

I have read to get a dumb TV and get a roku.

Roku sounds like a goat screw. The more stuff you add on the a system the better the chances things stop working, software conflicts and of course planned obsolescence.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
3 in 3 says to me I'd get a sparky in or at least a decent UPS between the mains and the TV.

Most stuff will expect (me being a Brit) 230v at 50z but I'm not sure what your local power system is, probably 110V@60

The problem is that over or under a certain % can cause problems and if the mains supply isn't always good then it can put extra strain of the PCB of the board.

You can probably ebay it for a bit as if the screens ok people will pay or if you fancy a risk get the control board and swap

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Lap tops and tablets are not burning.

The first Samsung I bought was manufactured with undersized capacitors-lots of complaints. This Tv lasted 2-3 years

The second was a westinghouse that lasted 6 months.

We have a flat screen that we have for video games for my son, it is 4ish years old-the software is funky and will work with Netflix when it suits it.

We do run 120v 60h.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I got a 55 inch samsung over a year ago.

Best move I've made. It looks great.

IMHO get a 50" or larger. Hell my next tv will be a 70 inch. Just gotta sweet talk the wife into it.

Strange that your tv burnt out. I have a 6 year old samsung that's still going strong.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

My first and only smart TV is a Hisense. Great costumer service and very affordable. I had a problem with the remote, they sent me a new one for free.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I got a 55 inch samsung over a year ago.

Best move I've made. It looks great.

IMHO get a 50" or larger. Hell my next tv will be a 70 inch. Just gotta sweet talk the wife into it.

Strange that your tv burnt out. I have a 6 year old samsung that's still going strong.

The size of the screen should be according to the size of the room. That's what they recommend.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
burning out a tv in that short of a period sounds like you may have an under voltage/amp problem.a reply to: seasonal

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I have a 60 inch Sharp Acquis smart. It has been great. Do you run your plug through a surge protector?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I have a Samsung lol. I hope they have fun watching me. Apart from the sex, I'm really quite boring to watch.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

We have a 32" samsung that is 3 years old but the "smart" part has a problem with netflix. And we use netflix and AMC (for the stupid walking dead).

I think the first Samsung was the undersized capacitors, this was a problem around the time we bought it-7-8 years ago.

The westinghouse that just bit the dust made a crackling sound and that's all she wrote-surge protector is in-house is 10 years old. With a new transformer on the pole outside. I can have the electrical looked at, it was good 5 years ago when I had a generator switch installed.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
You know, if you buy the warrantee the thing never breaks down. If you don't buy the warantee it breaks down right after the factory warrantee is done. So to make sure it lasts and never gives you a bit of trouble, buy the extended warrantee.

How do they do that?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I have a 48 and 32 vizio's. Like them both.
The 48 is a smart tv that I got on sale but I haven't used the smart functions I use roku's.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: gimcrackery

Just ran a V test 122v and 60.02 Hz. I think I've had a bad run.

I would like to avoid another, but it sounds like it was 2 bad tv sets. I think I am going to try an LG or a Sony.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Planned obsolescence is a science. And it is built into some (I am an optimist) products.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join