It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's Air Force has a new Ground-Attack Plane - L-15B

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
China's Air Force has a new Ground-Attack Plane - L-15B

Here's some news from China.

Looks like they are taking their trainer and making it a light attack craft. Looking to replace many of their older aircraft.

It's not a bad looking plane. Reminds me of a shorter F-18 with a single tail.

I wonder if they will make it carrier worthy. Might be a nice fit for their carrier fleet.

The L-15B prototype attack jet made its grand debut in a ceremony last week. Fanfare—including giant red banners and uniformed PLAAF officers—suggest the People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) and Hongdu Aviation Industry Group have high hopes for this multi-role light fighter.

If HAIG's L-15 advanced jet trainer is any indication, the attack version of the L-15B has a maximum take-off weight of around 9.6 tons and uses WS-17/AI-222K-25F turbofan engines to reach a top speed of Mach 1.4.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
They'd have to totally redo the landing gear along with other features to make it carrier capable.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Along with the airframe too I imagine.

They'd be starting with a fresh design for carrier operations.

Oh well. Otherwise it's not a bad looking plane.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I guess General Dynamics did well with the geometry on the Falcon.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It looks like the F-16 and F-20 mated, and had a love child....

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Seems to be derived from Yak-130.

The tail section looks different probably because they want to use the afterburning engines.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Can it carry as much as an Su25?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
does this mean we get cheaper stuff from china now??

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

It's in a different category than the Su-25.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

From the article.

The L-15B deletes the flight instructor's rear seat to save weight, and can carry about three tons of weapons on its nine hardpoints (one under the fuselage and four on each wing). For ground attack, it can carry HJ-10 anti-tank guided missiles, and the LS series of 250-500kg laser- and satellite-guided bombs.

The L-15B can carry a wide range of Chinese lightweight aircraft sensors, like multi-mode targeting pods and electronic jammers. It is also fitted with an electronically scanned array radar, which enables it to serve in an antiaircraft role, using PL-12 long-range air-to-air missiles and PL-10 infrared-guided short-range missiles. Additionally, it could extend its 500km combat radius with fuel drop tanks to increase range and on-station flight time.

top topics

join