It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KODI users may face up to 10 years for copywrite infringement.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

How does KODI sustain? Who runs it and pays for the servers and upload?

Kodi lives by volunteer contributions.

The only servers is for their software.

Kodi is just an app like google is.

It just puts external content in once place.

All other content is maintained by other servers, and a snip load of them.

Like Hydra.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki

What twisted, self-serving logic.

Ask any judge that isn't a leftist.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I can tell you 100%, unequivocally, without one shred of doubt in my mind, whomever made this law and sponsored it really is an idiot and it will never ever work.

Technology and Ability will always outpace Human Stupidity.

Enjoy searching for those needles in the hay, boys.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It's all still a bit vague. First off, in the UK, you can buy a box loaded with the KODI programme already, MXqPro is one effort, (funny enough you can buy one on Amazon*) the box is not illegal, it even says that in the link..it is now considered, 'normalised' the profit there is from selling the box..end of. So if you buy one and use it, you would need to know what is copyright and what isn't, trouble is, there doesn't seem to be a way of knowing. I've looked at one of these, and if say you want to see a film, the menu that comes up is vast..for just one film, and all shades of quality and languages, and from all over the world. I didn't see any copyright warnings. The real trouble is that the movie makers had to horn into the internet themselves, and not doing enough before that to catch the pirateers streaming out the crappy copies. Now they want to feck up the internet as it was meant to be. The same goes for those papers that have crappy, fast and loose online editions, some want to copyright all that material, even though little of it goes into a printed edition, mostly because it wouldn't pass muster.

www.google.co.uk... uAAQ
edit on 4-5-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Man is what man does. You wont ever stop pirates. Period. No one can, no one will. Everyone just going to have to frown their faces up and be mad about it. Dont like it? Dont put your media on a digital platform.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

I can tell you 100%, unequivocally, without one shred of doubt in my mind, whomever made this law and sponsored it really is an idiot and it will never ever work.

It won't work because Peer sharing is based on the founding fathers principal of decentralization.

It can never work.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: opethPA

Basically if a person wants to use KODI or Torrents or whatever approach their is to get things for free they normally have to pay for then they give up the right to complain when they have to pay the price for their choice.

Yea, no. I raised 3 kids, 2 of whom liked to push the envelope whenever possible. When you get a call from the Cable company saying they will shut your signal down due to illegal accessing of Copyrighted material and you didn't do it, but your kids did, I'm not sure where the line is on that. I won't be sending my 12 year old to jail for 10 years, and I'd rather not go in their place, due to the fact that I didn't break the law. Kids are all grown and gone now, but that was a real scenario.

I feel like the penalty is a tiny bit excessive here.

Im not a parent so probably not qualified to speak on this but maybe your kids shouldn't be in a position to break the law then at age 10 and 12?

Please do me this one favor. Years down the road, when you have kids, (specifically teenagers), remember this moment and contact me to see of your opinion is the same. I'd be really interested to see the result.

A valid point though Ill never have kids at this point since im in my mid 40s and that isnt really an option. =)

Hindsight is a funny thing right..When I was in my teens I did lots of things wrong when it comes to phones and now decades later its easy to say "I was breaking the law" though at the time I didnt want to hear that..lol

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vortiki

Man is what man does. You wont ever stop pirates. Period. No one can, no one will. Everyone just going to have to frown their faces up and be mad about it. Dont like it? Dont put your media on a digital platform.

It's too bad honesty, integrity, morals, and respect for other people isn't a factor in the minds of pirates.
Thieves.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: stolencar18
It's too bad honesty, integrity, morals, and respect for other people isn't a factor in the minds of pirates.
Thieves.

If I buy a DVD/Blu Ray and lend it to my friend who wants to watch it

Should I go to prison for 10 years for that as well ?

It's basically the same thing, minus the original purchase (although somebody DID buy the DVD/Blu Ray to copy it first)
edit on 4/5/17 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
There is nothing special about Kodi... It's just a media player, like windows media player.

It's what you do with it that makes it illegal.

For example, A small store using it on a raspberry pi to play ads for in-store products and services is NOT breaking the law, and it's a perfectly legitimate use for the player.

Just because countries want to pass draconian laws to pacify those that keep them in power, doesn't necessarily make doing or using something illegal.

BS laws fall apart in court when they don't pass muster.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

Respect for using an Amiga .

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
To the more tech savvy, will SSH tunneling and SOCKS proxying be an option?

Purchase a good VPN with a no logging policy clearly stated in their terms and conditions.

Proxychaing with SOCKS4 or SOCKS5 is only useful if you can guarantee that your ingress and exit nodes are not controlled by the feds. Since the FBI and the NSA control at least 1/3 of the TOR relays being used on the Onion it's kind of a shot in the dark. Eventually you are destined to exit a fed controlled node. For some people thats not that big of a deal. Also consider that even using the TOR network at all will get you added to a list should any of your connection info be leaked.

Also, The OP didn't clarify. Kodi is just media center software. It's a program similar to iTunes or any other media library. What allows you to view pirated movie streams is a brilliant little piece of "hot linking" software in a plugin called Exodus.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Thank god, the opioid epidemic was getting out of control they are finally going to go after pharmaceuticals, drs, and pharmacies.......oh wait I must have read that wrong.

It seems we are going to spend money chasing teenagers streaming videos from the movie theater...

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
i always think about phish.
anyone remember how big they were in the 90's?
they were monsters. i know most highschool kids out side of the 'head' types though phish was for the heads or music nerds but highschool wasnt the whole scene.
they were killing it but it was touring and merchandise more than sales.

they encouraged their fans to share and they are still one of the most successful touring bands. hugh amount of phish merch sold.
they made boatloads.

i just dont get it.
there is a lot of cash that goes in to marketing an album with adverts and #. that money has to be made back.
just give the # away and people that dig you will still buy. they will buy merchandise and go to tours.

nobody made a fuss in the 80's when people(i did it all the time) would record songs off the radio. make a tape for a friend? record # off hbo onto vhs? rent a movie and record it with the other vcr?

how did bands survive i wonder with all that sharing going on.
and the movie studios. we all know theyre broke now right.
hahahahahahaha

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

All of these silly ass laws are a result of the MPAA lobbying it's pals in the House and Senate for stricter enforcement of copyright laws that really only benefit them and the profits they stand to make. Bunch of d-bags, the MPAA.

Classic case of the little guys getting screwed by the big guys. Pirate streams may decrease the profits made by the billionaire Hollywood industry by some small fraction, but they sure as hell aren't going out of business because Johnny Highschooler, and Jane Internet Nerd are watching pirated movie streams.

Convicted sex offenders get less prison time than 10 years. Well done law enforcement. Well effing done.

edit on 4-5-2017 by AnonyMason because: sp gr

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I know John Fishman is one of the top ten highest paid drummers and trey is worth 75 million. Never really on the radio either.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Exactly, we've always had an ability to make copies, granted tape recording songs off the radio wasn't always the best quality but we've all done it, should we go to jail for it ? Just because it's a hell of a lot more easy now to do it now doesn't mean it's suddenly an epidemic, movie studios and record labels have been harping on for the last decade how piracy is killing their sales, jobs, profits.... Yet they're still around reporting billions year on year to their shareholders.

It all just makes me think of this

And how stupid it all is

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Exactly, we've always had an ability to make copies, granted tape recording songs off the radio wasn't always the best quality but we've all done it, should we go to jail for it ? Just because it's a hell of a lot more easy now to do it now doesn't mean it's suddenly an epidemic, movie studios and record labels have been harping on for the last decade how piracy is killing their sales, jobs, profits.... Yet they're still around reporting billions year on year to their shareholders.

It all just makes me think of this

And how stupid it all is

Meanwhile down on earth.

m.newser.com...

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
IMO, It is the contents creators fault. If I made something, I would do everything in "my" power to make sure that it couldn't be taped into for free. I'm in IT security, so before someone says it's impossible, it isn't. They just choose to be lazy and allow the government to do their dirty work. Yes, everything is hack-able at some point. Time tends to be the enemy in that area, but with that time they could be implementing new processes and protocols as well as updates; making that time a benefit.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Chronico

That and they are so worried they have no more ideas they need to protect the crappy ones they have.

Take radio head. Huge band. Sells out shows. They give music away. Fans still buy stuff.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join