It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KODI users may face up to 10 years for copywrite infringement.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Lets see..... how many new laws have passed so far that were gonna put an end to the scourge of (shivers) Internet Piracy!!! How much money was spent and has accomplished nothing?
For crying out loud members of the academy leak copies of screeners out before they are released at the theater some times.

Millions of us dont go to the movies because we are tired of getting screwed at the ticket stand. We used to take our kids to the matinee in the morning on the weekends but now you gotta save up to take your family to the movies.

Hollywierd created the over payed elitist...... they can fall with them too. No one... I dont care who you are should be able to make so much money in one year that you could retire and live a respectable life for all your days.... specially from playing make believe

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I thought Hollywood was all about free stuff? Oh wait I see, its good to be free as long as it is not their income that is effected.

I see.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Hollywood's wealthy actors, maybe. They have a penchant for being annoying about social programs and advocating for the far left of the political spectrum... Even so extreme as some claiming to be Communists while they ride around in the most expensive cars and live in multi million dollar homes.

The MPAA and the political lobbying arm of the movie industry is a whole different monster... One that finances the various PAC bank accounts of a large number of influential political figures within the US government to create much stricter laws regarding Internet piracy. Case and point this little bit about how streaming a pirated movie online through a Kodi media player can land someone ten years in the clink. It's ludicrous.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Another example of a thread title that is ambiguous and incorrect. Too late to edit the title, but the MODS should force this kind of clickbait sensationalism to be altered like this:

"UK KODI users may face up to 10 years for copyright infringement."

The Digital Economy Act is NOT enforceable in the US. It is a Parliament law. (sorry UK)

That does not say that this fallout will not reach US legislature soon, but it is not here now on this issue.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The people behind Kodi (XBMC) are getting a bad reputation due to lazy, ignorant journalists. IMO. Anyone who knows anything about it knows its the addons that are behind TPB cracking the whip. Which is a bit hypocritical considering the are the ones pushing ever increasing connection speeds. What do they think people are doing with all that bandwidth?

IMO, artists should make their money on a stage or theatre. If what you have to offer is worth up to a days wage, half a day in case of a film, then I'll happily stump up. If not I'll watch at home on the couch, in my pants, for bugger all.

edit on 4/5/2017 by RexKramerPRT because: typo

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Another thing I forgot. If copyright holders are pissed then maybe they should go after the facilitators,traffickers if you will. The ISP's.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: RexKramerPRT

I agree with both of your posts. Its been made clear, here, that Kodi itself is just a media player. OP mentioned it, myself and others elaborated on it. The piracy ability is not Kodi itself but open source plugins written for the program.

ISP's are only going to get worse when it comes to their ability to influence governments in terms of what should and should not be cracked down on.

And at the risk of sounding like a dead horse just do a quick Google search for "MPAA and Pirate Bay" to see how hardcore they are about shutting down people giving out free copies of things they want money for.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT
Another thing I forgot. If copyright holders are pissed then maybe they should go after the facilitators,traffickers if you will. The ISP's.

That won't work because a lot of the ISP's are the copyright holders
The main ones are BT, Sky and Virgin

They even had a court case a few months back where they were both defendant and complainant and well, you can guess how that went.... Now they can on the fly shut down any of the sports streaming websites, but it's all useless because all one needs do is watch via VPN/Proxy and the block is effectively removed.

But you know how they got the data ? From monitoring all their users, yeah they were spying on us, well those of us with unencrypted packets
edit on 4/5/17 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

The #ty thing is I already do pay for hundreds of channels of crap and a 100+MB internet connection to now maybe face jail to watch the couple of dozen shows I enjoy.

Just hope my VPN is good enough

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: RexKramerPRT

What a terrible person you are watching tv. What about the children.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

William Cooper said freedom would be "redefined" in America. Guess he was right. Seems crazy that in a country that calls itself free that you can break the law doing such a mundane thing as watching a program. Pretty twisted. But, by all means, keep arguing about which side of the same coin you want to be in charge of your "freedom ".

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
During the past 10 years, the EU has been harassing EU people with copyright issues, for its own taxation benefits while blaming the US for enforcing the copyright in the EU.

In other words the EU has been enforcing copyright on movies and videogames for its own economic interests. At the same time they blamed hollywood and game producers for demanding these copyrights against European people who were cracking and downloading games from torrents or similar applications.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
your joking it would not even install on my pc .
crap programming dont think the com have much to fear from it
got it working louse interface louse search function no exit Had to use ctrl alt esc to minimz it then use task manager to end it
garbage .
Lousy programming i have seen in a wile ps also comes striped but the search function for add ons comes back nil for even music .
Would need to do your search out side the program and add the add on by hand to even get any to work .
Even the simplest torrent program is better even they now stream torrents hid vnp proxies and what not .
This is plan garbage
You really think the company's are scared of this program ? lol
You will need to have programming skills to even get it working correctly .
edit on 2-6-2017 by midnightstar because: more info

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Why don't they just fine them 20 times the amount of a movie ticket for each show they watched rather than jail them. Humans are idiots! Honestly putting people in jail over this is a crime in and of itself.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Intellectual property is still property. Nobody would like it if someone without consent shared your property (car, home, food, cloths, etc.). You know, the things you are overworked and underpaid for producing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join