It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to work ethic?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Where do I even begin, I work at a company that manufactures let food, while the company does have it's share of flaws overall it is a good company to work for with above average for the area pay and benefits.

Yet some how we are always understaffed and the new hires they seem to being in are lazy worthless heaps of human flesh. Out average new hire is in the age range between 18 and 25 and that's all fine and well I have known multiple people in that age range that are great workers and amazing people, so this is not an issue with age I don't think.

The job in itself is not the easiest, it takes time to learn how to run the machines and learn all the required haccp and osha regulations, we provide ample training along with a grave period of about 6 months to catch on, all while making good money for a person coming in with nothing more than a high school diploma (starting wage is just shy of 18 an hour), so it boggles my mind how lazy and non chalant these people are when they get hired on.

The job while technically difficult is honestly mostly common sense type stuff run your line, do paperwork and clean. Most people manage to pick up the running of the line but for the life of me cannot grasp the other to simple tasks this leaving a mess for there other co-workers to clean up on a daily basis.

What happened to an honest days work for an honest days pay? How is it that people can be so lazy as to not do there full job? Furether more how is it that the company I work for can not only allow this but then get upset at senior employees when they walk into a disaster area of a mess for there line being dirty? But I digress I could rant sbout some of my companies practices until I'm blue in the face but this rant is about the general lack of work with ethics in our modern work place....

What seems most prevailing is the attitude of "I was looking for a job when I found this one" and it kills me, I live in a small city in the Midwest jobs that have this type of pay and benefits are very few and far between for non college educated individuals, how can people seem to think it's ok to piss off a job like this? Is it perfect far from it but as far as being good solid employment that you can do for years or decades yes it is.

I will never understand it I guess I'm just not programmed in a way that let's me half ads my work duties. I guess I better go in and get started on my 3rd 12 hour shift for the week and see how big of a mess I get to clean up today wish me luck in that I don't strangle any one.

Best wishes Crim

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: crimsongod21

Short answer;

It skulked off the field with slouched shoulders right after participation trophy's marched proudly on to the turf...

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Before everyone jumps on the millennial bashing train, just remember, someone had to raise this generation.

From my place of employment, it seems like it is 50/50. Some of the worthwhile kids are very able and it lightens my heart to see how aware they are on the current state of our economy.

Then there are the other 50%. But I just keep on chanting 'job security', 'job security' and 'job security'.

-Sincerely, a GenXer

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It's the same where I'm at Crim and at less money. The last couple of temps we got (temp to perm & they follow thru) have been comical. One guy never got off his phone and in a manufacturing plant kept his hoodie up. PAST dangerous.

Another guy studiously watched everyone work and just BS'd without doing ANYTHING.

One was young, another middle aged.

I can't fathom it.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
blame the employer, why should someone work hard when they can get paid the same by being a slacker as the guy who is working hard, and every year everyone gets the same 25 cents an hour pay raise whether you`re a slacker or a hard worker.

start everyone at a low wage and give them raises based on their job performance, then people will work hard to get the raises.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
It disappeared with the living wage for the most part.

There seems to be a correlation between fair pay and hard work.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I go back and forth on this.

The young'ins have seen their parents get the raw bone by corp America. Stagnant wages, cut benefits and record profits. Perhaps they know the game and don't want to play?

But with schools doing away with wood shop, metal shop, auto shop----what do we expect.

My 14 year old can MIG weld, do brakes and rotors, unclog a drain and use a few of the safer hand tools. I think it is called get off your asses and show these young people how to do things.
edit on 26-4-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Your company is hiring the wrong people. The 22 year old I just hired is running rings around his predecessor's numbers in the toughest market in the United States.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

...the company does have it's share of flaws...

...Yet some how we are always understaffed and the new hires they seem to being in are lazy worthless heaps of human flesh.

...The job in itself is not the easiest...

...it boggles my mind how lazy and non chalant these people are ...

...starting wage is just shy of 18 an hour...

...get upset at senior employees when they walk into a disaster area of a mess for there line being dirty?

...for the life of me cannot grasp the other to simple tasks this leaving a mess for there other co-workers to clean up on a daily basis.

... I could rant sbout some of my companies practices until I'm blue in the face...

I guess I better go in and get started on my 3rd 12 hour shift for the week and see how big of a mess I get to clean up today wish me luck in that I don't strangle any one.

I'm glad I don't work there either. Long hours, low pay (can't live on pre taxes wage of 18/hr). Plus bosses that yell and 'senior' worker that bitches at me all the time because I'm not doing it right, or cleaning it right, or lazy, worthless, god awful, "heaps of human flesh".

Maybe all that is why theres such a hi turnover.
edit on 26-4-2017 by intrptr because: spelling, bb code

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
It disappeared with the living wage for the most part.

There seems to be a correlation between fair pay and hard work.

The living wage was stabbed in the back by welfare and subsidies. When tax dollars at all levels started being used to subsidize the Kept Voter pools, providers of goods and services realized they could charge whatever the government was willing to cut them a subsidy check for, which is often considerably more expensive than what the free market would actually allow. Somewhere along the way, it became more financially lucrative to suck off the tax payer teat and live off the blood, sweat, and tears of people with actual pride and spines than it was to actually perform a day's labor.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

When I was a high school vocational teacher, I had an advisory committee made up of local industry leaders and businesses. All of them complained about today's workers and their lack of good work ethics. It wasn't just high school grads but they also complained about college graduates. They would tell me many college graduates expected top dollar when they had no practical work experience to justify it!

It's one of the main reasons I stressed work ethics in my classes! Many employers on my committee would tell me they would take a hard worker and train them rather than someone who knows the skill but is too lazy and unreliable. It's a big problem across the country! To many young people feel like they're entitled to just call-off work if they have something else they want to do for the day. They don't think they have to climb the corporate ladder to receive better pay.

I remember working jobs at JCPenney and Kmart during my high school days. I was afraid to call in sick if I had a cough or felt a little under the weather. Back than, if you called in sick too much, you were out of a job!

I see young people tattoo their faces and I just say to myself, that person just limited themselves from a lot of job opportunities where customer interaction is extremely important. I talked to employers who won't hire anyone with visible tattoos, especially the medical profession.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I see young people tattoo their faces and I just say to myself, that person just limited themselves from a lot of job opportunities where customer interaction is extremely important. I talked to employers who won't hire anyone with visible tattoos, especially the medical profession.

I won't hire anyone with visible tattoos, piercings etc. to work in my businesses. Our clientele is usually middle aged, conservative and wealthy. When selling high dollar goods and services professionalism is key and tribalism just won't cut it. I don't care if you have a degree and tons of experience....sorry!

I won't even hire custodial help with tattoos because if they show a strong work ethic and interest in the biz, I might move them up to sales or into a technical intern position.
edit on 26-4-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I don't know why they work period.

Just stay on welfare until you hit the lottery.

Then live the American Dream in the Bahamas.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Why do you think previous generations were different on average???

You think the WW2 generation didn't have their fair share of drunks , bums and the worthless? Lol as they beat their children, smoked while pregnant and were as racist as the day is long...

It's been the same stick since Athens.. every generation thinks their kids are worthless, yet every generation surpasses the last.

I don't know how your company pays, but what I find INSANE is the people who think you are supposed to give 110% no matter your pay..

When a company buys materials they realize that better mats cost more.. but this seems to get lost when concerning labor, because you can always find some one a little more desperate who will work for a little less.

If you pay minimum wage, expect to get minimum effort.. if you pay barely more than min wage, expect to get barely more than min effort..

If you pay great wages you should expect to get maximum efffort..

But these businesses that want maximum effort for the least the can possibly pay you, are crazy.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme

I don't know why they work period.

Just stay on welfare until you hit the lottery.

Then live the American Dream in the Bahamas.

The maximum welfare benefit in Mississippi is 250$ a month.. hell the maximum unemployment is $250...so good luck with that..

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

It's easier to keep the front up of everyone is lazy that needs help. Welfare and public assistance is a hard way to make a living.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

It's easier to keep the front up of everyone is lazy that needs help. Welfare and public assistance is a hard way to make a living.

Exactly...

It's way easier to pull a shell game and pretend that those who make low wages are lazy, no matter the fact they work 8 hours a day over a hot grill in a high volume fast food joint. Which is more labor than your average American will ever do.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Been there done that.

Fast food work was fun, no $$$ for anyone but the corp. As jobs disappear, this is going to turn into a huge issue. And not one where the can can be kicked down the road, our politicians may have to cut ties with their black hearted masters.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I totally understand. The saying "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" definitely comes into play when you're representing a business. You may be the nicest person on the planet with tattoos from head to foot, but it's only human nature that many people will judge a book by it's cover.

I'm really surprised people would risk a job career for the sake of marking up their bodies. It's just not worth it! I really think a business in tattoo removal could be quite lucrative.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
Before everyone jumps on the millennial bashing train...

Stop right there...the Millennials have been spoon fed too much. They don't understand the meaning of hard work nor do they understand that you have to actually work to make money. They are too distracted with technology and staring at a computer for them is more easier than using body mechanics to do manual labour. Just too bad they don't understand that robots and other AI software will fill their role in the near future and all you will hear is bitching and complaining that there is no work for them....TOO FU--ING BAD.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join