It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The flat earth conspiracy

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: InachMarbank

the results of the :

vandee globe

volvo ocean

contradict your " alt - geography "

edit to add :

as does the scheduled airliner services :

johnanasburg RSA > perth AUS

sydney AUS >> santiago CL

I had briefly read up on the Vendee races before reading your reply.

I remember getting the impression the path charted for the Vendee races was more confusing than the drunken sailor path of the world record setting Jon Sanders’ 48,500 mile ONE TIME DOUBLE circumnavigation of Antarctica, where he took a detour to SCOTLAND.

I didn’t look into the Southern Ocean races yet…

But ya, the Sydney to Santiago distance has been a head scratcher for me, considering alternative geography models.

I came up with this amateur doodle to keep the theory alive.

Seems like an explanation for Sydney to Santiago...

Anyway, if you can, step right up and kill my delusion...

Edit:
Oh, maybe this looks more like a tree than a bell.

Come on now children. SING ALONG!

OH MR. SUN, SUN, MR. GOLDEN SUN, HIDING BEHIND THE TREE...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 27-4-2017 by InachMarbank because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I saw that on charts from the NOAA.
Cool. Can you post a link? Does it include the southern hemisphere? The western Pacific?

Doesn't this suggest tides get higher further north?
I would say that it would depend more upon bathymetry than latitude. The Bay of Fundy is well south of Anchorage, and yet, it has the highest tides on the planet.

If you compare cross country flight times between USA and Australia, you will see Australian flights travel at a slower land speed
Can you provide a source for this claim?

Flying east to west is slower than flying west to east.
I assume this is because flying with the spin of the earth makes you fly faster, and against the spin of the earth makes you fly slower.

Considering these cross country comparisons:
Sydney / Perth
LA /Atlanta

They’re almost the same, in terms of distance across their countries, and are at almost the same degrees of parallel above and below the equator.

If you Google “Perth to Sydney flight times,” you’ll get the figure of 4 hours, 10 minutes, flying west to east.

If you Google “LA to Atlanta flight times,” you’ll get the figure of 4 hours, 20 minutes, flying west to east.

So, in this instance, flying west to east, WITH the spin of the earth, the plane goes a bit faster in Australia. Does this suggest Australia is spinning faster than USA, due to a wider circumference at its degrees of parallel?

If you Google “Sydney to Perth flight times,” you’ll get the figure of 5 hours, 5 minutes, flying east to west.

If you Google “Atlanta to LA flight times,” you’ll get the figure of 4 hours, 55 minutes, flying east to west.

So, in this instance, flying east to west, AGAINST the spin of the earth, the plane goes a bit faster in USA. Does this suggest the slower spin in the USA, due to a narrower circumference at its degrees of parallel, makes for less resistance, flying against the spin of the earth?

As for tides, the north to south trend, here are the charts I got from an NOAA report.

You should see, at least generally, on the continuous coastline of Pacific North America, the tides get higher the further north you go.

There is an outlier to this trend, Dutch Harbor, which is a small island at the end of the Alaskan peninsula.

I assume the north to south differentials is not the only influence on tides… though perhaps it is worth noticing.

Also, in the NOAA charts, you can see tides get only a little bit higher when it is a new moon, and only little bit lower when it is a full moon. So the moon influence seems the least.

The size of the land mass might also be a major factor. Dutch Harbor, being a small island, has less land mass pushing back on the waves, so maybe that is a factor for why the waves on this small island far north are still pretty small.

Fundy Bay is further south than Alaska, but is still pretty far north in the world.

Perhaps the angle of the bay, along the Atlantic coast, is a big factor too …

I guess not every trend has data points that fit to a perfect smooth path and conclusion, like there is no place windier than Oklahoma City, maybe not even Antarctica, but this doesn’t mean you can say North America is windier than Antarctica, as a general trend, right?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: prevenge

There actually could be a valid reason for all the efforts to spread the "flat earth" theory.

It could be a government dis-information campaign to keep any one from realizing the earth is really hollow.

Yep!! that's it.

They know we can not justify a "hollow earth" once we start to believe in the "flat earth" theory.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

It's called the jet stream. It goes west to east and can add or subtract over 100 mph to ground speed at times.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

What are you on about? Perth to Sydney is 2,051 miles and LA To Atlanta is 2,174 mile so does that not account for the extra 10 minutes? Whatever.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

If you look at Honolulu to Atlanta, direct flights it's 8:45 going east. Coming from Atlanta back to Honolulu it's 10:05 on average. The jet stream makes a huge difference.

We used to send our C-135s from Hickam to Andrews and they could make it without stopping usually. Coming home they had to stop in California for fuel.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: zatara

All of those "proofs" (which don't prove the world is flat) yet it only takes the North Star and southern cross to prove the earth is a sphere (ish).

I'm finding it highly amusing that not a single flat earther has even attempted to explain them.

There are enough scientific experiments which indicate that the earth is not exactly what we have been taught in school. This does not mean it is flat but it says something is going on.. It really does mean a lot to you having this North Star and Southern Cross being answered. Instead of doing the research yourself I will try to find an answer for you and get back to you with it.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Actually, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, points to this planet being exactly like the rest of every observable planet.

A spheroid.
edit on 2742017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

What if the flat earth was just disinfo to throw people of from the real secret that the earth is hollow?
just thought I would play devils advocate with another theory not that I believe the earth is hollow but I figured I would throw out a competing alternate earth theory besides even if hollow earth is complete BS I rather like it as a concept and it is way under represented in this time of recent popularity of the flat earth.
who wouldn't be thrilled to discover a whole hidden world within the earth by going through an entrance in Antarctica all flat earth has to offer is some boring ice wall and a dome.

Hollow earth also does not reject space travel either unlike flat earth.

edit on 27-4-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

I just saw your post after posting mine mentioning hollow earth. I guess you must have been thinking along the similarly weird lines of thought.
edit on 27-4-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
a reply to: tinymind

I just saw your post after posting mine mentioning hollow earth. I guess you must have been thinking along the similarly weird lines of thought.

What would really be weird, is if my theory of "the etherial mind think" were true

I have noticed how a lot of people have the same thoughts, or ideas, on almost any given subject at almost the exact same time .

Of course, it could be due to us all simply being human.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It's called the jet stream. It goes west to east and can add or subtract over 100 mph to ground speed at times.

Sure. And the force behind the jet stream is the spin of earth right?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

What are you on about? Perth to Sydney is 2,051 miles and LA To Atlanta is 2,174 mile so does that not account for the extra 10 minutes? Whatever.

That answer might fly for west to east trip, where slightly less miles and slightly less time match.

But what about east to west?

The trip with slightly less miles (Australia) takes slightly more time, right?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Actually, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, points to this planet being exactly like the rest of every observable planet.

A spheroid.

Have you read about the rectilineator experiment?

The results of this experiment, suggest the earth near the Bay of Naples Florida (27 degrees N and 81 degrees W) is concave.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

The spin of the earth doesn't affect the plane. Only the wind does. That's why when you fly with the wind, it's a faster flight. If you were able to remove the wind, and keep the rotation of the earth, the flights would be the same length.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   

That's nice.

Earth is still a spheroid though.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Let's say a plane travels across a latitude on which the spin of the Earth is equal to the plane's top speed.

The Earth is spinning and the plane on the runway spins at the same speed. The plane takes off into the opposite direction of Earth's spin.

So instead of accelerating it is actually going slower and slower, since it was already moving into the direction of Earth's spin at the same speed and now it's engines are pushing in the opposite direction, so once it is at top speed its actual velocity would be zero in a spatial frame, when it is flying at top speed on a latitude that spins with the same speed as the plane's top speed, in the opposite direction.

You could say that at this point the plane has no velocity but the Earth is moving under it. It then makes a 90 degree turn and tries to land on a North/South facing runway, but it lost that relative velocity that synched it to the Earth's spin so how does it land on this runway?

The real East to West velocity of the plane is now zero and conservation of momentum says that as long as no counterforce is applied, its velocity into that direction remains zero, and the Earth is moving sideways at let's say 600 mph. So how can it land on this North/South facing runway that is moving sideways at 600 mph and the plane's East/West velocity is now zero.

If anyone suggests it is the atmosphere keeping the plane in sync with Earth's rotation you need to do some more thinking because it is easy to demonstrate that it is not.

edit on 28-4-2017 by SpaceBalls because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Let's say a plane travels across a latitude on which the spin of the Earth is equal to the plane's top speed.

This is perhaps the more interesting point in the first place. This means that in this case a plane "travels" the Earth without actually moving through space and in reference to celestial bodies.(ignoring the other motions)

Is that right?
edit on 28-4-2017 by SpaceBalls because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

All evidence of Moon Landings are lost.

Still looking for that curvature !

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Retro reflectors were left on the moon and when a powerful enough laser is shined on them it reflects back both proving that space travel is real and that people have been on the moon. Myth buster did an episode on it. Of course I'm sure there will be people who say this is propaganda.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join