It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Potter: Occult Conspiracy?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Honestly, I think Harry Potter is wrong-headed about witchcraft and against religion (not that I have one, so it's not a big thing:@@
. But, yeah. I see what you mean.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I was honestly stunned, that Author of the Harry potter books made so much money in such a short time,unbelievable but true.I never read the books but when I saw that last TV commercial promoting the last movie.I was stunned at the horrifying Demonic Dragons in the short commercial.Will little children flock to see this movie? I thought this looks way too frightening for any kids under age of 10. Ok ,some of you may laugh at my concerns,I know that.I can only add my opinion here.As a kid in the school library I was fascinated by all the Ghost story books with authors like Alfred Hitchcock,Stephen King and any ghost books I could find.I was also a heavy Science fiction reader too.As a result I never went to Church,thought it was a complete waste of time,just because of the books I read.I came to the age of 12 where I had a choice of what kind of music I would "get into"Instead of going towards the light hearted pop music or dance music and get social with the girls and normal people in general.I wasted my Teen years in high school listening to "Black death metal"Black sabbath at first,then Judas priest,Iron Maiden which then lead to Slayer and Mercyful Fate.This of course lead to heavy alcohol consumption and I still don't remember much of those waisted years,many bad things happened I think.I still have not re-joined a church but after some weird experiences lately,I am thinking about joining one.This is the power of what a book can do to effect a childs life,it happens very slowly over time and not to every one.I am not saying Harry potter is evil,just that it may peak a childs interest in darker media.To this day, I am an older heavy metal guy,I can't help it I love horror movies and heavy metal guitars,King Diamonds music,totally evil stuff if you read the lyrics, he sings like a wimpy retard but has some other interesting vocal effects that fascinate me.the guitar is brilliant and any music like that will keep me "in it "forever,I'm just doomed I guess.I feel trapped in loving all the dark media and music.This is just a warning to parents.Un explained Bad luck really does follows me around and I wish I could go back and change what books I was reading as a kid and all those horror movies I saw.

[edit on 8-12-2006 by mistr_b2]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I was thinking about some of the new video games that have come out on the market.Many of them are actually far worse than any Harry Potter book.I was watching some young kids play The lord of the rings on a Nintendo game cube.Some really frightening stuff shown but kids seem to brush it off as normal ordinary visual stuff.I guess most kids know the difference from what is horror-fantasy and real life.Indeed, even though I was fascinated by horror stuff as a kid,I still turned out to be a mostly normal responsible Family guy.Any one have any thoughts about the video game world?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Is it a conspiracy? I highly doubt it.
Now if your an evangelical christian, everything is a conspiracy, everything is out to get you. The homosexuals want to turn you gay (saying this as I just came out of a forum discussing this...), Harry Potter is trying to turn your kids into witches...

In fact evangelical christianity tends to lack the one thing the "founder" talked about.
Love. With love, there is no fear...and no judgement (that is for God, not for the followers who are way to more willing to do the latter rather than the former.)

So, again, where are you coming from? No Harry is no conspiracy...as there are no witches. Even the black magic, etc. isnt what those that practice it think. It all boils down to science. Everything new in science or misunderstood is magic. There is no magic outside of science. Stories point to things beyond themselves, just as the story of creation points beyond itself in Genesis...as Judaims knows with the 4 levels of understanding of the creation story.

There is no grand conspiracy, if everyone turned to witches then what...there is no occultic power. The only hocus pocus evil is sorcery...and that is pure manipulation of another...not some dude in dark robes. This stuff is practiced by politicians all the time, as well as ourselves when we try to bend peoples will to our own.

Harry is a good read, and quite enjoyable. We need, as a human race, to get past all the fear...true, religion has done a great deal to bind us, but it is our decision to stay down.

Peace

Dalen

- seek and you will find when you seek with all your heart...(note, with all your heart, not in the places safe and familar for fear of being judged if you look elsewhere.)

[edit on 11-12-2006 by dAlen]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
read Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and it is much better then the movies.

i tried. I can't follow the books. I tried to watch the movies and can't follow those either. In fact, the first 2 minutes turned me totally off ... a handful of rings goes to this group, a bunch more to that group, still another group gets some .... timelines ...

Too much work. Too much thinking involved. I just want mindless entertainment.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Rockpuck
read Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and it is much better then the movies.

i tried. I can't follow the books. I tried to watch the movies and can't follow those either. In fact, the first 2 minutes turned me totally off ... a handful of rings goes to this group, a bunch more to that group, still another group gets some .... timelines ...

Too much work. Too much thinking involved. I just want mindless entertainment.

Sauron basically taught the elves how to put their soul essence into objects...
He wanted to trap them, and made in secret a ring to rule the others.
Well they found out, and hid the rings. And also, made some rings later without him knowing about it.

I can see how it could be confusing, tons of backstory, quite interesting.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Draco buys the hand at some point (can't remember when) because he uses it as he leads death eaters into the catles in the 6th book.

READ IT AGAIN or probably it would be better to have somebody READ IT TO YOU. Draco does not buy the HAND OF GLORY. HIS entry point for the DEATH EATERS into Hogwarts is The Cabinet who's twin/ portkey is in " the Room of requirement.

This room is in effect all things to all people. For Dumbledore it a room filled with chamberpots " in a time of need", for the Weasly twins it is a sanctuary
"in a time of need", For Harry it is a "place to teach with all the requsite books at hand."
For Draco it is a place to complete his betrayal and consumate his duplicitous
nature.
In fact it does provide "All Things to All People". Kind of like Pauline Xianity
attempts to do.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Dark Lord
READ IT AGAIN or probably it would be better to have somebody READ IT TO YOU. Draco does not buy the HAND OF GLORY. HIS entry point for the DEATH EATERS into Hogwarts is The Cabinet who's twin/ portkey is in " the Room of requirement.

NOt sure they were saying the hand of glory is what got them in Hogwarts.
But he sure did use it to give light to himself when they used the "twins" magic dust to darken everything around them.

So whether he bought it, got it as a gift, he had it.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Harry Potter is not overtly ‘anti’-Christian, on the contrary, Harry Potter works because it is not subversive to the Christian religion, but actually runs parallel to not only many elements of Christianity, but many other mythos, past and present, worldwide. Similar themes ranging from his early years to his heroic exploits are shared by other legendary figures such as Jesus, Moses, King Arthur, and many other sources from every inhabited continent. While some can line-pick individual aspects of individual stories and tie them into anti-religious propaganda implied simply by external concepts of Pro and Con , Harry Potter is much more inclusive than individual lines and single elements suggest, and further reading actually provides the basis of the popularity of Harry Potter.

A prophet tells of the miraculous birth of a savior. A leader attempts to destroy the savior and as such the savior is sent into hiding until such a time as he can fulfill his destiny.

Can you correctly identify the name of the savior in the above instance? It could easily be seen as Harry Potter. While Harry Potter’s birth itself was not miraculous, the events surrounding the death of his parents are in a way the beginning of his new life as a savior to the Wizarding World. Harry Potter was prophesized to come, and Voldemort set out to destroy him before Harry had the chance to destroy Voldemort. After this event failed to result in Harry’s death, he was then hidden and adopted by the Dursleys.

The events could just as easily be seen the biblical accounts of Moses’ story. The Pharaoh’s prophets tell him of the dangers of Hebrew male children and Pharaoh orders them all to be killed. After Moses’ birth, he was set afloat on the river in a small basket and was found by Pharaoh’s daughter and adopted into the Egyptian ruling class.

Bible accounts also describe the prophetic birth of Jesus, his hiding in Egypt away from King Herod who wished him dead. Although Jesus was not adopted, he did have to adopted the life of a carpenter’s son, until such a time as he could allow his true nature to be revealed.

Arthurian Legend tells of a boy who was conceived in secret and raised by an adopted family. Arthur then took his prophesized place as ruler of England. Like Harry, Arthur was not treated particularly well in most accounts, but does not allow his early life to dictate his character and shows many noble characteristics.

Luke Skywalker of the Star Wars mythos was born of a mother who died, like Harry, and was sent to relatives to live, like Harry, unaware of the prophesized journey he was about to undertake, again like Harry.

There are other bit parts of other savior stories that also fit into this theme, but my understanding of them would not do justice to the point I am trying to put forward, and I am almost certain to get details wrong. However, the births of Buddha, Hercules, and Zoroaster also relay similar themes.

The childhood and initiations of many of the saviors in question seem to mirror each other. The saviors grow in exile, whether they are aware of it or not, and that exile is protecting them from hidden danger. There are usually numerous hardships that come from their adoptions, and character is built out of these hardships.

Though the initiation of each of the mentioned saviors appear to be different, many of the differences are only superficial. Each of the saviors have possession of strength that is unique to them. Moses speaks directly to God and appears to use God‘s power as his own. Jesus is the walking son of God and performs miracles. Arthur is chosen by Excalibur and wields the magical blade and scabbard in battle. Luke has the Force. Harry Potter has the scar on his forehead that seems to protect him from evil.

Seeing as Harry Potter is a work of modern mythology, it is interesting to look at individual aspects of the story as they relate to other savior stories and see the parallels. On more than one occasion, the stories carry over onto more than one savior story.

Harry’s wand chose him in his story. At the core of Harry’s wand is one of two feather’s given by Fawks the phoenix. The other feather was in the core of Voldemort’s wand, and the wand chose Harry because of the connection of the two feathers. Excalibur chose Arthur in much of the same way. Excalibur chose Arthur because Arthur was the rightful owner because of his blood, and the wand chose Harry because of the essence imparted on him by Voldemort at the time of his failed execution of Harry.

The Mentor also plays a large part in many of the other savior myths. Moses and Jesus spoke directly to God, Merlin helped Arthur become a powerful king, Obi-wan (and later Yoda) helped Luke become a Jedi, and of course, Dumbledore advises Harry. The Mentor almost always gives the savior beneficial wisdom and never leads him astray. The Mentor is the role of Father to a savior that almost always does not have access to an Earthly father.

There are many other interesting parallels to be drawn, but I don’t want to take all the fun out of discovering your own truths. It is very simple to see the popularity of Harry Potter, it is the retelling of a very familiar story that has been told for ages untold. Is the conspiracy ‘anti-Christian’, or is there a more insidious conspiracy at work?

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I think people are looking farrrrr to deeply into Harry Potter. Granted, Rowling does some AMAZING research work for character names, wand woods, mythical creatures/stories, etc... But really...

It's a fantasy series, just like Lord of the Rings or Aragon, or even all the Dungons and Dragons books....

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
where the harry poter books originally German old old German children books that she found translated and changed a little?

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedangler
where the harry poter books originally German old old German children books that she found translated and changed a little?

not that is a nice conspiracy.

could be...the brothers grim collected tales and put them together, then disney took them and twisted them so every american kid think disney came up with them (including the little mermaid)

Tolkien borrowed from every thing and created his own world for the U.K. to have their own legend.

so i wouldnt be surprised that she found some tale, though I havent heard of it.
This makes her one lucky gun, as she made millions for...nothing.

But thats how money usually comes...not to those that slave.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well I've read all the books as well and I can tell you, the first book does not read like the rest of the series, especially the first few chapters. I would not find it hard to believe that Rowling only authored the first book of the series.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudAmerican

Ummm what did I just read?

I read the first three posts in this thread and am sad for ATS. It's stuff like this that is turning me away from ATS. I'm sorry.

Edit: Read a little more. I have faith again.
edit on 10/3/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonoligist Zac
Honestly, I think Harry Potter is wrong-headed about witchcraft and against religion (not that I have one, so it's not a big thing:@@
. But, yeah. I see what you mean.

JK Rowling is Christian. The series has been said to relate to her struggle with her faith. SHE'S A WRITER! She can write whatever she wants. I know that these people aren't serious. Are they?

I've got to take a step away from my monitor. I'll be back later.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Old thread. Whoops lol
edit on 10/3/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749
[more

Just pointing out this thread was created in 2003!! I think the OP may have moved on to different things by now. At least I hope so

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
of course, there is no other logical explanation

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sunsetatdawn
reply to post by drew1749
[more

Just pointing out this thread was created in 2003!! I think the OP may have moved on to different things by now. At least I hope so

LOL

Oh wow I need to pay more attention. Now I feel like an idiot. Still even by 2003 standards it was a stupid thing to say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join