It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can America really have health insurance with no (like 5K deductible) before the insurance starts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I don't understand it. Here in Japan, there is no such thing as a large deductible before ones insurance kick in.
The national insurance is quit simple, everyone pays into according to their income and the premium tops out around 7k a year.
30% must be paid at the time of service, this includes dental any eyewear exams.
So simple people.
Yes , there are caps on the fees that docs and pharmacies can charge, but so what, people are happy here for the most part, and me too.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
You still pay too much. Health care should be free. Everyone pays taxes for a reason. The pay to live health scam is disgusting

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It didn't take me much research to find that the system of socialized medicine is much better than what we have here in America. This country will soon be, everyone either is a patient or they work taking care of patients. The cost of our system is way too high, too much profit in medicine here and a lot of that money in the industry goes to lawyers and insurance companies. It has become a scam here, you can't get anything done on the first visit anymore it seems. Your illness keeps dragging on because the doctors keep sending you for all sorts of tests not even related to your symptoms.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It didn't take me much research to find that the system of socialized medicine is much better than what we have here in America. This country will soon be, everyone either is a patient or they work taking care of patients. The cost of our system is way too high, too much profit in medicine here and a lot of that money in the industry goes to lawyers and insurance companies. It has become a scam here, you can't get anything done on the first visit anymore it seems. Your illness keeps dragging on because the doctors keep sending you for all sorts of tests not even related to your symptoms.

so sad to hear that

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme
You still pay too much. Health care should be free. Everyone pays taxes for a reason. The pay to live health scam is disgusting

I said it is based on ones income. If you even make 10 million dollars a year, your premium won't exceed 7K. If you make very little like me, well my monthly payment is about 22 USD a month

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I get it. But does the government take 25% of your pay check every week? Do you pay tax on food and clothes and everything else you buy? According to trumps 2005 tax docs he paid 38 million in tax. And thats just 1 man. 1! The government has enough money through these extortion practices to take cars of peoples health needs. But...... This isnt rant forum. Im done

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

30% of the medical care received is a BIG NUMBER of dollars here in America.

Also the $7,000 premium you referenced is more than what a health plan would cost in America if there was no ObamaCare mandates jacking up the premium.

In pre-ObamaCare 2012, a $1,500 deductible for a 35 year old male (No maternity / Blue Cross) was $175 a month. Pay $1,500 out of your pocket and all medical costs the entire year were paid 100% by the insurance plan..including prescriptions.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Bottom line, health care is about the friggin money. You can't blame the care givers for this, they do their job well enough. Its about the denial of payment, heres a clip from Michael Moore's, Sicko.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Well, we have the right wing here that think the poor and the old and people with psychological problems and pregnant women should pay more. They think peple in general should pay quite a sum, that amount will go up with the new plan.

edit on 24-3-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme
I get it. But does the government take 25% of your pay check every week? Do you pay tax on food and clothes and everything else you buy? According to trumps 2005 tax docs he paid 38 million in tax. And thats just 1 man. 1! The government has enough money through these extortion practices to take cars of peoples health needs. But...... This isnt rant forum. Im done

Trump made a lot of money. Through laws that don't apply to you and me, he was able to count over 100 mil as 'non taxable'. Let's not be silly here.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Also the $7,000 premium you referenced is more than what a health plan would cost in America if there was no ObamaCare mandates jacking up the premium.

In pre-ObamaCare 2012, a $1,500 deductible for a 35 year old male (No maternity / Blue Cross) was $175 a month. Pay $1,500 out of your pocket and all medical costs the entire year were paid 100% by the insurance plan..including prescriptions.

It will get worse, according to the CBO. If you think that is bad... watch out.

Premiums are big or small all over the country. It depends on how many exchanges in a state. Some large insurance companies backed out for greed. That left no competition, so the remaining in a state jacked up prices.
edit on 24-3-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I was just using him as an example since he is the popular topic at the moment. Point was look how much the gov makes off 1 individual. They tax the shizznit out of us, blow most of it, then tax us some more. Scam.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Another unintended consequence (or maybe INTENDED) of ObamaCare is a rule put in place which prohibits health insurance companies from making more than a 80% profit, after all medical expenses are paid. The legal name of the rule is the "Medical Loss Ratio".

REF: www.healthcare.gov...

Anything over 20% must be refunded to the insurance purchasers. What insurance companies did is hike up premiums high enough so that their 20% "take" was large enough to keep executives and upper management bringing home big paychecks.

But eventually, even the 30% to 50% price hikes weren't enough to keep up with the increasing number of Americans dropping their policies, because they couldn't afford them. So they started leaving the ObamaCare market. (Death Spiral)

If the American Health Care Act allows people to buy health insurance whenever they want, or need it, no health insurance companies will participate. Not unless Congress guarantees them a profit each year. Even ObamaCare isn't THAT liberal.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Yeah, it's called the public health clinic.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
All our systems, including life saving ones, are headed toward purges. If you can't afford or keep up, you are screwed. Our system is pretty easy to understand.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Exactly. On an HSA plan with a high deductible, you might have a deductible of 1,500 to 3,000, depending on your needs, but after you pay that for the year, everything else is 100% covered. No co-pays, no charge for prescriptions - nothing.

I love that kind of plan. You know that you are never going to go over that, no matter what. And you can put the deductible into an HSA savings plan pre-tax, so you are actually paying much less than the deductible.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Wasn't Obama that said that the healthy young should "pay more?"

And then there was the fairly standard $5k for a deductible and several thousand a year more deductible for meds.
It was a "dream" plan. It was an unworkable plan as the failing of the various aspects has proven. Will Trump do any better?
I don't know. Can he do any worse? Let's let him ram his program through congress without them or us knowing exactly what is in it. Fair enough?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
In usa 30% insurance claim denied and treated as never existed when client forgetting to add somthing.

Then again, united state of America is not a country.. its a business park. I laugh from my arse when silly people call them selfs citizens rather proudly.
edit on 24-3-2017 by Pandaram because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
The problem we have is not a healthcare problem... it's an insurance problem. We have healthcare. What we do not have is insurance to pay for it.

My question, which has never been answered to my satisfaction, is why must we have insurance to pay for healthcare in the first place? I scanned over the new healthcare bill last night. After beating my head against the wall several times, I was able to decipher most of it. It does nothing to fix the real problem: high prices. The individual mandate is untouched. It is still a health insurance bill, not a healthcare bill.

The situation is actually simple, like the OP said: either we as a society want guaranteed medical attention or we don't. It appears we do, so that means we have to provide it for everyone. If we're going to provide it for everyone, it must be paid for with taxes. There is no alternative. That's simply how it works. But Obamacare and this newest bastardization of Obamacare did not and does not do this; instead, it decides for people what they must buy: insurance.

Insurance itself is not healthcare. Insurance is money-care. It is nothing more than buying a promise. You pay a certain amount to the insurance company in return for a promise they will pay you (or on your behalf) if certain things happen. Insurance companies are businesses, which means they have to make a profit... that cannot and will not change. We could pass a law that says every insurance company in existence is forbidden from making a profit, and all that would happen is the insurance companies would just close down. Those running them would open other businesses instead.

That profit comes from the customers... it comes from you. The money the doctors make is paid by insurance companies on your behalf, so that comes from you too. By making insurance an integral part of healthcare, we have forced healthcare to become more expensive, in a time when people already couldn't afford it. We're going to make it more expensive for the insurance companies to operate, and expect them to lower prices. And if people can't afford to buy insurance, we're going to charge them extra in taxes. In what universe does any of that make sense?

There is a solution that would work, but it involves doing the unthinkable: removing insurance from the equation. We need three simple laws:
  • Require every doctor to see any patient, with obvious exceptions to prevent overloading doctors, regardless of ability to pay. Period. If someone needs a doctor, they cannot even be asked about insurance or income. No more filling out insurance forms. If someone has insurance, they get to fill out the paperwork and make a claim. Let the doctors doctor again instead of making them play accountant.

• Make it mandatory that insurers pay without requiring a medical degree to fill out forms. If an insured client is covered, make a clsim, attach a receipt, attach a medical diagnosis from the doctor, and the insurance company has 10 business days to get a check in their hands... or they get to pay five times the expected refund, plus 50% APR interest until it is paid.

• Set up a program so doctors who cannot collect within 60 days can contact the IRS for collection services. If they do, they get 50% of their bill paid immediately, and the IRS collects the bill. Set a maximum out-of-pocket based on income. Anything more than that is forgiven. Allow for payments for other bills. The IRS already knows who can and cannot pay, and they are the best collection service on the planet. Not to mention, there will be no more people getting 20 different bills they can't afford, each one demanding $10 a month.

There's other things that can be done, like limiting drug costs based on generic prices, criminalizing public advertisements for prescription drugs (aka drug pushing), requiring pharmacies to contribute to a database that lets patients see what their drug costs will be before they sign the discharge papers, tort reform, etc., etc., etc. But the main issue will be solved: everyone will have health care, and the government will pay for those who can't.

Isn't that what we want? Or do we want more insurance companies?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Japan, a more capitalist society than the US controls that by price fixing medical services.

<<   2 >>

join