It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A PC ideology induces change which offends people.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
There is no shortage of examples of PC causing changes which leaves people scratching their heads. PC ideologies are formed to prevent offending people and in most cases have some understandable reasoning. But still many have noticed sometimes PC societal teachings leave people overreacting and perceiving offense when there isn’t any.

Take this example:
For people who haven’t heard about the Kokoda Track it is a pilgrimage trail where people come to pay respect to the people who fought and died fighting in the dense jungle of Papuan New Guinea. A chance to walk in the soldiers footprints and try to understand the harsh environment which they fought in.

Along the track there are four stone tablets which mark the values of the brave allied (mainly Australian) soldiers who fought together they are courage, mateship, endurance and sacrifice. In an article that came out today it is written that local authorities responsible for the area have changed the word “mateship” to “friendship” because of a perceived cause of offense. Obviously this has caused major offence with veterans and others as the term “ mateship” holds a special place in Australian culture as it did for the people who served and still serve. Here is how one veteran explained it. “Mateship is no longer a politically correct word because of its male, Anglo-Saxon connotations,”

My point is this. We have reached a point where people are so indoctrinated with PC ideology that they perceive offense when there is none. This inturn can actually have the reverse effect and end up offending more people overall.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ms898

Political Correctness is my sworn enemy because I know it will make us all miserable and under the thumb. We will hardly be able to move or breathe without offending somebody. We will all be moody and angry all the time. It is ludicrous and actually INSANE.

It is like communism. It will hold us all back and make us conform to something that will become increasingly archaic and truly irrelevant. This is the true meaning of retarded.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   

It's not PC to think PC is important.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I had a pig named PC.
Short for "Pork Chops."

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Political correctness is a feel good solution for idiots, I can't keep up! In America I've seen blacks go from colored, brown, negro, black and now the most offensive and divisive 'Africa American'!! I say black and anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my big black azz!!

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
As long as you acknowledge it's not worthless.

What scratches my head is why a story like you described can have real issues, the anti reaction is so intense people say "YEAH WE SHOULD GET TO CALL GAYS FAGGOTS". Uhm. No...
edit on 22-3-2017 by MacK80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Fags are cigarettes in Britain, one mans offense is another mans smoke?! Where does it end?!a reply to: MacK80

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

This inturn can actually have the reverse effect and end up....

....getting Trump elected.

You asked for it bit***s.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: MacK80
As long as you acknowledge it's not worthless.

What scratches my head is why a story like you described can have real issues, the anti reaction is so intense people say "YEAH WE SHOULD GET TO CALL GAYS FAGGOTS". Uhm. No...

I can understand why it might be hard to appreciate the offense caused by this but to the people who use this term "mateship" it has a greater meaning then friendship it is a stronger bond. Mateship has deep cultural meaning in the Australian psyche so changing it is offensive and most likely would be offensive to the people who served and used the term.
edit on 22-3-2017 by ms898 because: Typo

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
A major part of growing up is learning to accept criticism and realizing the world doesn't revolve around Yourself.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
You would think being Christian would include having consideration for others. Say you say "Merry Christmas" to an atheist and she found it offensive. Don't you think it would just be nice, considerate, and Christian to say "Happy Holidays" instead. Or, do we just take the low road and eff em by saying "Merry Christmas" ?

I never understand the outcry against political correctness. I think it is important to take other people's feelings into consideration. I don't say the eff word around my grandmother because she doesn't like.

Of course, my grandmother used say in her Edith Bunker like voice, "If you don't have anything nice to say, shut your God damn mouth."

edit on 22-3-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typos

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

You would think being Christian would include having consideration for others. Say you say "Merry Christmas" to an atheist and she found it offensive. Don't you think it would just be nice, considerate, and Christian to say "Happy Holidays" instead. Or, do we just take the low road and eff em by saying "Merry Christmas" ?

Im an atheist...and I really dont mind congratulating people Merry Christmas. And they to me...it's traditional...and brings people together. Hollidays is not the same as Christmas.

I dont really understand what you're on about.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I had a pig named PC.
Short for "Pork Chops."

LOL man...that so un PC of you. Poor PC...

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I understand what you're saying, and I even agree it's a problem, and I know about the greater strength of the word mateship like you're speaking, what I'm saying is that when these stories come along and are absurd to observe, the reverse reaction is often equally absurd, as if PC is a plague on society and should be completely removed, and the argument is formatted that it's okay to be a racist and a bigot and etc.

It's honestly refreshing to read your anti-sjw thread because it's not purely propaganda like 99% of them. It's a relevant case-issue.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I think it's a bridge. The Christian should consider to saying Happy Holidays, while the Atheist should just consider saying "Thanks" with false gratitude.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I never understand the outcry against political correctness. I think it is important to take other people's feelings into consideration. I don't say the eff word around my grandmother because she doesn't like.

That is basic manners. PC is messing with us on a behavioral level. That is something to worry about. It is being deliberately forced on us by agents who are not revealing themselves to us as an authority yet claiming MORAL AUTHORITY over us all. They are showing that they want the whole world to behave like this; that it is the answer to all behavioral woes we inflict on ourselves.

It is dangerous because it dares to be thought of as some kind of cure. It is not FREEDOM. It is being used to control us to certain expectations. On a basic level it is total state nosiness, poking its Gonzo nozzle even into our bedrooms, our classrooms, everywhere. Is it not obvious that is is like the Blob:

Beware of The Blob, it creeps And leaps and glides and slides Across the floor Right through the door And all around the wall A splotch, a blotch Be careful of The Blob Beware of The Blob, it creeps And leaps and glides and slides Across the floor Right through the door And all around the wall A splotch, a blotch Be careful of The Blob Beware of The Blob, it creeps And leaps and glides and slides Across the floor Right through the door And all around the wall A splotch, a blotch Be careful of The Blob Beware of The Blob, it creeps And leaps and glides and slides Across the floor Right through the door And all around the wall A splotch, a blotch Be careful of The Blob

Damn! I love firing nuclear warheads at Political Correctness! I hope this one exploded!

edit on 22-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
SJWs and people that in general promote PC culture are creating Newspeak and they are not even aware of it.
it's not something that i can even take seriously at this point, because it's almost completely made up by and from people that have no interest in actually fixing social problems, they are all just looking for a way to virtue signal.
it's not "how can i fix this big problem" it's "how can i be perceived as being better than everyone around me"

and you know what, i don't have a real problem with those type of people, the world has always been full of people that want to change things not for progress, but just so they can feel better about themselves with minimal effort.
My problem is the useless idiots that bow their heads and comply without question, living in the fear of some minimal negative online feedback that would just dissipate within a week, as the horde moves onto it's next self masturbatory "battle"

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Is pooping in non-appropriate public places "Freedom"? Pooping from the mouth is equally subject imo.

PC is a lens. You see it as a monstrous censorship, and I see it as a known understanding that certain things in public light is not okay to just openly promote, like Racism, or Nazi's, or some degrees of homosexuality and sex.

Partisanship really dilutes this issue. Telling someone they're a crazy religious fanatic isn't very PC now is it? It's only framed the way it is because of politics. The Right uses PC to their advantage all the time, and is more snowflake than ever.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: MacK80

I understand what you're saying, and I even agree it's a problem, and I know about the greater strength of the word mateship like you're speaking, what I'm saying is that when these stories come along and are absurd to observe, the reverse reaction is often equally absurd, as if PC is a plague on society and should be completely removed, and the argument is formatted that it's okay to be a racist and a bigot and etc.

It's honestly refreshing to read your anti-sjw thread because it's not purely propaganda like 99% of them. It's a relevant case-issue.

My issue is that through societal pressures and indoctrination people are constantly looking for things that aren't there. This type of ideology is dangerous because it curbs people thoughts and expressions out of fear. In this case it has had the reverse effect of offending people.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MacK80

The point being is that THEY are not using it like you do.

Is pooping in non-appropriate public places "Freedom"? Pooping from the mouth is equally subject imo.

Yeah, right! You who are so PC says something like that to me and I am a total stranger. I don't know why, but the word "hypocrite" and also the word "liberal" has just come into my mind; I wonder why that is? I think I should put them both together:

"Liberal hypocrite"

Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder what that means?

You see, I who am totally "anti Christ" as far as "Messiah PC" goes would never be so rude to you.

I will have to take your posts with a pinch of salt because even within a few hundred words you come undone just like a teddy bear losing its stuffing.

That is why, my friend. That is why I loathe Political Correctness. Beware of The Blob dear reader.

edit on 22-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join