It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do these Symbols mean on my Great Grandfather's Master Mason Sword? (Pictures Included)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
So my Great Grandfather was (who has been Deceased since before I was born and I am 25) a Master Mason. We have had his Sword as a Family Heirloom for quite some time now and I am curious to know what some of these symbols mean. He also had his name engraved on the Sword to. Is anyone here a Freemason and or studied the Group? Why do modern Freemasons need/use Swords for?

edit on 20-3-2017 by Stevemagegod because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2017 by Stevemagegod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Neat pictures !!

There are several Masons here at ATS.

They should be able to help with questions.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Stevemagegod

Looks like a York Rite Knights Templar sword. PM Ksig, he's in that side order.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Neat pictures !!

There are several Masons here at ATS.

They should be able to help with questions.

When I was still in College I had to take pictures of a Cool Object for my Criminal Investigation class and present it to the Class and explain what it was. I choose the Sword obviously been wanting to ask about the symbols for a few years now but i just kept on forgetting. Ha.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I remember there was a thread about a member who met Donald Nixon (Richard Nixon's Nephew) and how he was a member of the Knights of the Sacred Order.I wonder if your great grandpa was a member?

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3/20/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

I remember there was a thread about a member who met Donald Nixon (Richard Nixon's Nephew) and how he was a member of the Knights of the Sacred Order.I wonder if your great grandpa was a member?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Dam interesting read.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I also agree with AugustusMasonicus, it does indeed appear to be a Knights Templar sword from the York Rite

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Looks like a York Rite Knights Templar sword. PM Ksig, he's in that side order.

Thank you have narrowed down my Google Search but I'm still not getting any solid hits on the meaning of the symbols and meaning of the colors of the crosses.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Was his wife's name Florence?

ETA: Well, if it wasn't, the rest of this post won't mean much.

www.ancestry.com...

His wife's brother was a Freemason and Odd Fellow...

Traxler Ollie L. Traxler, 91. of Arthur died 10: 50 a.m. Sunday (Jan. 3, 1982) in Arthur Home, Arthur. Funeral services will be 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in Shrader Funeral Home, Arthur, with visitation 7 to 8: 30 p.m. Tuesday, with 8:30 p.m. Masonic services. Burial will be in Hammond Cemetery, Hammond. Memorials: Arthur Home. Mr. Traxler was born in Hammond, son of George and Sadie Traxler. He was a retired employee of Progress Industry Casket Division, a member of Arthur Vine Street Christian Church. Arthur Lodge 825 AF&AM and IOOF 742 Lodge. He married Svlvia Gentry in 1909. She died in 1969. Surviving are his sons, Darren "Deke" of Arthur; Darrell of La Porte, Texas; Dale of Atwood; Stewart of Sacramento. Calif.: daughters, Mrs. Corwin (Virginia) Hill and Evelyn Pellicari. both of Arthur; sisters. Feme Correll of Reno, Nev.; Florence Ebberts of Buffalo, N.Y.; Mrs. Harold Adams of Hammond; 16 grandchildren: 18 great-grandchildren; seven great-great-grandchildren. One son, one brother and one sister preceded him in death.

Link

Found an old address: Link

He may have lived in this area at one time.

I'm still trying to find the lodge.

edit on 20-3-2017 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Nice toothpick you have there. The style is for use in the off hand when thrusted forth after a block with the main sword it could find it's way between the ribs rather easily.

As far as pomp and ceremony goes... just that; the pommel appears connected to the Rosy Cross and Skull and Bones. The mystical union and of course death that which could take it away if the path or river has not been crossed to completion or basically immortality governed from the as above so below. Of course most of that is ran through as a mystery play these days; but the actual practices that they stand for are a valid thing; otherwise they would have never adopted such a thing or put so much behind it.

The rest appears order specific but yet still of the same order; just location business.

I've a tattoo on my left thigh of the Rosslyn Chapel... there's a lot of nice history behind all of it the more one may wish to get down and dig about. Of course, joining a chapter local to you would likely require a sponsor; but no better way to find out than go through it oneself forging a traditional link with your ancestral heritage eh?

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

The cross inside the crown is the symbol for the "Knights Templar Commandery" of the York Rite.

It appears that your Great-Grandfather was a part of his local group: "Hugh de Payens Commandery No. 30", of NY (est. 1860), so named after Hugues de Payne; co-founder and first Grand Master of the Knights Templar.

edit on 3/20/17 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Please while you are doing research, could you please also research the term, 'How to care for swords'

For now, oil the blade at the very least.

P

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
can't be good. mazons were only created to gentrify the egyptian-hebrew religions upon the populace.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
That indeed is a sword used by the Knights Templar in the York Rite.

I've done some articles on the symbols:

The Crown and the Cross: www.travelingtemplar.com/2012/09/the-crown-and-cross.html

Crosses: www.travelingtemplar.com/2013/06/crosses.html

Templar Symbols: www.travelingtemplar.com/2013/08/templar-symbols_5.html

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
That's a really neat sword and some good reads in here. Anything Augustusmasonic links I always read on the John

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
can't be good. mazons were only created to gentrify the egyptian-hebrew religions upon the populace.

Oh, man, you caught us. Hail Osiris!!!!! Or is it Yahweh? I keep forgetting...

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stevemagegod
Thank you have narrowed down my Google Search but I'm still not getting any solid hits on the meaning of the symbols and meaning of the colors of the crosses.

He gave you some links.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
That's a really neat sword and some good reads in here. Anything Augustusmasonic links I always read on the John

Yea, when I'm bearing down on a particular rough turd, I tend to think of Augustus as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

That makes two of us and that makes us a club

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: network dude

That makes two of us and that makes us a club

I'd say we need a secret handshake, but you need to wash your hands first.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join