It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump reverses position on private prisons!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This is my sole reason for turning against Trump...

Few profited more immediately from Donald Trump’s election than the private-prison industry. On Nov. 9, the day after Mr. Trump won, the Corrections Corporation of America (now CoreCivic), the nation’s biggest operator of private prisons, saw its stock price jump 43 percent; its leading competitor, the GEO Group, rose 21 percent. Stocks in those companies are up more than 100 percent since Election Day.

There was good reason for the optimism. During the campaign, Mr. Trump spun tales of crime-wracked cities and uncontrolled violence that, even though mostly divorced from reality, appealed to public fears. He also called the nation’s prison system “a disaster” and said: “I do think we can do a lot of privatizations and private prisons. It seems to work a lot better.” The industry responded by giving hundreds of thousands of dollars in support of Mr. Trump’s candidacy.

Under Mr. Trump, Private Prisons Thrive Again

Is this the industry we really want to succeed under Trump?

The Trump administration's plan to reconsider privately run prisons faces a web of complications amid litigation and allegations the industry cuts corners at the expense of security.

Last month, Attorney General Jeff Sessions rescinded an Obama-era memo directing the Bureau of Prisons to start phasing out the use of private prisons.

Trump administration reversal on private prison use faces pitfalls

For too long the private prison industry has profited off of misdemeanors and other crimes non deserving of prison. Then for Trump to reverse position on private prisons...

Slave labor... that's all private prisons are. Slave labor. Yes, make murderers and rapists be society's slaves. But a traffic ticket, marijuana, whatever else nonsense... no.

Really?!

Don't let this stand!!!!

edit on 3/17/2017 by EternalSolace because: Fixed quasi-grammatical errors...

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Sounds like people should be getting their local and State Govts. to address sentencing requirements rather than blaming Trump for the Prison Industry.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

When state governments are all too happy to turn the costs of incarceration over to the federal government... can we guess who wins out?

This is one thing state governments can't be relied upon to end.

edit on 3/17/2017 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Ummm don't judges sentence people? Prison is for housing and control of inmates. Laws and judges might be your issue. Don't do the crime if ya can't do the time.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Another of my soap boxes. Juries should determine sentences and judges shouldn't have the ability to override their sentences or reccomentdations. Our whole justice system relies upon sentencing from peers. Judges have too much authority as it is. If I tell a judge to go screw themselves, they can sentence me to months In prison for contempt. What gives them that right? To sentence someone for disagreeing? No... absolutely not. Judges are not the law.

edit on 3/17/2017 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Trump needs some place to put the poor old people who he will throw out of nursing homes and take food from through a budget.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Though it's not the old this type of legislation targets. It's the young marijuana, speed limit breakers, non child support offenders this targets. For profit prisons are there to see people jailed not because they deserve it. But because the state can make money off of them.

If you're pro for profit prisons, then you deserve to spend your days in our perpetual slavery at the hands of the states that support them.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   
This is one Trump decision that I do disagree with. The conflict of interests that exist in privatisation of prisons does more for the prison workforce rather than the incarcerated person. The overall social cost that this policy presents is detrimental to the state and individual while profitable to the corporations. Money only accounts for those that have it.

People have made mistakes for a long time and will continue too, it is how some of the great scientific break thoughts are made. Sure there are some people that do not play well with others and some thing needs to be done. As for the overall cost / benefit analysis of the private prison industry, I am not convinced that it is worth it.

edit on 17-3-2017 by kwakakev because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I love reading your posts. They always seem to make Trump some sort of mystical evil villain with super powers.

Trump supporters definitely need to call this out. But the way the Trump administration has been playing the media, I have to wonder if he's in this for the long haul of actually making good on his promise...I doubt that though

Even still, as a bystander to the craziness of the left and right going on, I cant say I'm all that upset with Trumpy.

Graffik

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

He is the most powerful man on earth. My grandchildren safety is in his hands. That is not a trivial thing. I am a mouthy grandma, but many others are just watching. Taking from 15 per cent of the budget to enrich the Pentagon and prisons, tells who and what he values.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Any correctional infrastructure which benefits financially from the population of a prison, is inherently flawed in concept. Such an infrastructure has no reason to wish to reduce recidivism, because such a reduction would cost the infrastructure money. Unless the goal of a correctional facility is to keep the truly dangerous felon off the street, and correct the behaviour of those merely caught up in bad circumstances by treating addiction, by teaching good skills, by providing a forum for therapy and promoting good mental health, RATHER than to make money doing it, then that represents a massive conflict of interest.

At present, no company running a prison would want to see it gradually empty, because its ability to make money would be drastically reduced, not having quite so many prisoners to use as cash cows.

It makes no sense to put a financial incentive into an already difficult arena, like prison management. Personally, I think even the concept of a private prison is deeply questionable, and the fact that they exist an absolute travesty.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Trump has the power to stop private federal prisons. People addressing their state and local governments has nothing to do with federal prisons.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I am nodding in total agreement with your view on this development.

No more to add.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Are people in america actually surprised by this?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

At present, no company running a prison would want to see it gradually empty, because its ability to make money would be drastically reduced, not having quite so many prisoners to use as cash cows.

That seems true but I know it would be cheaper for them if they had less inmates but still got paid....

An analysis of private prison contracts from across the United States reveals that state and local governments commonly enter into agreements that require them to keep prisons filled or pay for unused, empty beds.

www.prisonlegalnews.org...

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Both Generals Smedley Butler and Dwight Eisenhower warned us decades ago about the military industrial complex. But no one listened. This is exactly what they foresaw.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Interesting how you mention safety of your grandchildren are in his hands and then chastise him for putting more money in defense. Yes, the US spends blah blah blah than the next blah blah blah. Personally, every single government entity needs to be audited and reduced EXCEPT DEFENSE. If our government stopped playing police we wouldn't have to, but I think it's too far gone for that.

That is what I continually see from people here when speaking about Donald, good or bad, they are blinded by their hatred or faith.

Graffik

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

It is not the case that no one listened.

Many people took their words on board. But none of those people who understood the threat posed, had children who would go on to become the law makers, the statespersons. The people who heard the word and felt its truth did not raise children who wanted dominion over others. Those people raised children who wanted to free people from servitude, free their nation from corporate control. Those people raised anti-capitalists, the sort of people who chain themselves to digger trucks, and stand firm beneath the weight of water cannon fire, are regularly tear gassed and still refuse to back down.

They raised people considered traitors very often by the worst, the lowest elements of the population, whether they be sitting on their stained, rotting armchairs in their dilapidated home, swearing at their television from beneath a pool of beer foam, or lambasting the activist from a lectern in front of a camera.

The people who are the product of those who did listen, all those years ago, are considered hippies, their beliefs are considered anti-American, they are considered enemies by many and nuisances by the rest. Only a small few understand that their origins are as righteous as their intent, or that their determination is born of the same respect for civil rights, the same intelligence and understanding expressed by Eisenhower all those years ago.

You will find virtually none of these people in positions of power though, because to desire such a place in society is to either never have had the right mentality in the first place, or a sure fire way to forget the lessons that once made the individual in question a noble and decent one.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

They will only succeed in putting 50% of the people in the country into prison. At some point there will not be enough guards.

Of course there has been huge advances in robotics and artificial intelligence. Maybe eventually everyone will be arrested.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Trump flip flopped?

No, say it ain't so?!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join