It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump reverses position on private prisons!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

I hate his policies , that is why I did not vote for him. Invading Syria, threatening that Korean mad man with military retaliation and china, is not keeping us safe.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Follow the rhetoric:
Private prison companies making big bucks on locking up undocumented immigrants
Priva te Prison Companies Will Still Lock Up Immigrants, Despite DOJ Decision

Also look at his AG:
Jeff Sessions Reverses Government's Stance on Private Prison Use

If anyone is surprised that Trump supports private prisons then I really can't say why. The evidence to put two and two together has been available since Trump started talking about illegals.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: GraffikPleasure
a reply to: MOMof3

Interesting how you mention safety of your grandchildren are in his hands and then chastise him for putting more money in defense. Yes, the US spends blah blah blah than the next blah blah blah. Personally, every single government entity needs to be audited and reduced EXCEPT DEFENSE.

That is hilarious, because the defence and intelligence budgets are the ones which have the greatest current potential to be abused, to be defrauded, precisely because of the lack of oversight involved with them, and because of the enormous black budgets they have access to, some of which is derived from illegal activity, including but not even remotely limited to arms sales to questionable groups. You know, like the ones the US is supposed to be at war with?

If our government stopped playing police we wouldn't have to, but I think it's too far gone for that.

If the US started paying more money for policing than it does for systems which violate the rights of citizens, like the defence intelligence co-operative effort that is the mass surveillance network, then you would have officers who are well trained enough to only fire one bullet, rather than dump a mag, officers who can disarm opponents with knives, rather than relying on their guns to do the work most of the time. You would have officers who know the law so well that you will next door to never see them violate it, never see them arrest someone improperly, never see them make a bad call or even ruffle a feather of an innocent. But no, you would rather get your military industrial complex off the hook for all the evil crap it has done, all the dishonour it has bought to your nation over the years.

Clueless. Fundamentally clueless. You may see fit to extend your wrists, the better to be shackled by those who own you, but you have no basis to suggest or imply that the action is patriotic, nor to insist that everyone be on board with it.

That is what I continually see from people here when speaking about Donald, good or bad, they are blinded by their hatred or faith.

That is an ironic statement, considering that you are literally advocating for a military which has no oversight, no civilian control, no accountability for its funding what so ever.

edit on 17-3-2017 by TrueBrit because: corrected quote tag placement.

edit on 17-3-2017 by TrueBrit because: Tidying up

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
This is my sole reason for turning against Trump...

Few profited more immediately from Donald Trump’s election than the private-prison industry. On Nov. 9, the day after Mr. Trump won, the Corrections Corporation of America (now CoreCivic), the nation’s biggest operator of private prisons, saw its stock price jump 43 percent; its leading competitor, the GEO Group, rose 21 percent. Stocks in those companies are up more than 100 percent since Election Day.

There was good reason for the optimism. During the campaign, Mr. Trump spun tales of crime-wracked cities and uncontrolled violence that, even though mostly divorced from reality, appealed to public fears. He also called the nation’s prison system “a disaster” and said: “I do think we can do a lot of privatizations and private prisons. It seems to work a lot better.” The industry responded by giving hundreds of thousands of dollars in support of Mr. Trump’s candidacy.

Under Mr. Trump, Private Prisons Thrive Again

Is this the industry we really want to succeed under Trump?

The Trump administration's plan to reconsider privately run prisons faces a web of complications amid litigation and allegations the industry cuts corners at the expense of security.

Last month, Attorney General Jeff Sessions rescinded an Obama-era memo directing the Bureau of Prisons to start phasing out the use of private prisons.

Trump administration reversal on private prison use faces pitfalls

For too long the private prison industry has profited off of misdemeanors and other crimes non deserving of prison. Then for Trump to reverse position on private prisons...

Slave labor... that's all private prisons are. Slave labor. Yes, make murderers and rapists be society's slaves. But a traffic ticket, marijuana, whatever else nonsense... no.

Really?!

Don't let this stand!!!!

This is naive. Prisons don't sentence people to visit prisons.
Maybe you should take this up with your state reps and discuss sentencing issues.
Personally I think most people in prison belong in prison. Living crime-free isn't that tricky.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If prison population or prison control was one of your top deciding factors on voting then I guess you'd have a right to be upset. I doubt that's very many of you though. As a legal non-law breaking citizen I really don't care if prisoners are in a private prison or a govt one. I would bet if it's govt run it's going to waste money and be loaded over the top in bureaucracy.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Follow the rhetoric:
Private prison companies making big bucks on locking up undocumented immigrants
Priva te Prison Companies Will Still Lock Up Immigrants, Despite DOJ Decision

Also look at his AG:
Jeff Sessions Reverses Government's Stance on Private Prison Use

If anyone is surprised that Trump supports private prisons then I really can't say why. The evidence to put two and two together has been available since Trump started talking about illegals.

Good! Lock up illegals. All of them.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
If prison population or prison control was one of your top deciding factors on voting then I guess you'd have a right to be upset. I doubt that's very many of you though. As a legal non-law breaking citizen I really don't care if prisoners are in a private prison or a govt one. I would bet if it's govt run it's going to waste money and be loaded over the top in bureaucracy.

I base a large part of my political opinion on how politicians stand on private prisons and the war on drugs as I see both as the largest sources where freedom is infringed. If your rhetoric paints you as going backwards in either of these two issues then I've written you off. I'd take a status quo politician like Hillary Clinton over reescalating the war on drugs or increasing private prison use again any day.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: stolencar18

50 bucks says you've done something illegal or are doing something illegal (whether you know it or not). When we start adjusting laws/sentencing to keep people in prison for profit its less about not breaking the law and more about whether you're part of the group that's making the laws.

You would have to be deliberately obtuse to think anymore that many of the laws that serve to fill prisons weren't done so under dubious moral prerogatives. Even Nixon's former domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman has admitted Nixon's backing of those new harsher laws/penalties was for the sole purpose of jailing their opponents (liberals and blacks). To quote:

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people," former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman told Harper's writer Dan Baum for the April cover story published Tuesday.
"You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

www.cnn.com...

Do you still feel the laws are fairly created and adjudicated?
edit on 11am17famFri, 17 Mar 2017 08:11:57 -0500America/ChicagoFri, 17 Mar 2017 08:11:57 -0500 by Wayfarer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
making prisoners turn a profit will make the state incentivise giving lengthy time for any/all crimes. police state. Anyone arguing for this is a authoritarian.

for profit prisons is a disaster of a plan. every prisoner should cost the state, and therefore prevention of recidivism should be the main focus, not see money everytime someone gets years lost.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
yea its a terrible idea, was/is a failure and has no place in a democracy. hopefully trump gets it.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I reread what I put... I didn't mean to say defense should not be audited or reduced..I meant it should be audited but not reduced. I apologize for your need to write a long reply that is not true.

But to answer what you do mention that is relevant to my beliefs..

You say we should train someone to disarm people with a knife?,train people to take people put with just one bullet? Lol do you know how much TRAINING costs? Or.. they could use an extra magazine or two...

Don't talk down when your own thinking is heavily flawed.

But one more time, I apologize for not separating my statement about every department needs to be audited (and I'll add routinely), and their budgets should be slashed, except for the budget of defense.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Hopefully you are consistent and opposed all of Obama's drone strikes and boots on the ground as well.

And NK needs to be taken down a notch. All they do is fear monger for money every year. Plus, do you take serious any that's towards you or your grand babies? Well I don't think we as a nation should be playing nice with anyone that threatens the US or it's allies.

China... There's so many issues with our relations with them that it is no way near one sided as you probably think it seems because of big bad Donald.

BTW.... I voted for Johnson... Knowing he would lose, but for this party representation in 2020

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I was with the Dixie Chicks, against the Middle East invasion at the beginning. We will never leave now, no matter who is prez. Oops another terrorist was just born. We can't reproduce troops that fast.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I do know how much training costs.

I also know that the standards of policing required, in order that justice be best served, the innocent best defended, are such that this training, regardless of the financial burden that represents, is necessary.

As for my thinking being flawed Graffik, lets look at the reality of the situation.

At present, the MIC is responsible for another two decades of war for profit, maintaining a proxy army to excuse that for profit war, and its intelligence arm is shoulder deep in mass surveillance. Despite all of these things being absolutely against the law, the spirit of the law, and against the wishes of a significant percentage of the population of your country.

Do you think sinking even more money into the MIC is going to solve those problems, make the psychopaths running the show think twice about continuing? Because from where I sit, providing these people with more money is about as likely to result in greater peace, and a freer society, as a bullet to the head is going to improve the average persons brain function.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree to an extent. But it does give pause to other nations just the same right? ..no way nation like NK could take on the US.. look at their budget.

Almost anything and everything can be streamlined and made more efficient. Simply taking money from the MIC is not going to fix anything.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

So you are against Hillary on the issue correct?... Or which year of Hillary is the better question.. 2008 you did not agree with Hillary on the war issue right?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Well no big freakin' surprise. Trump is nothing more than a stooge just pretending to care for the people.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I have disagreed with Hillary about a lot of things. When she made the baking cookies at home comment, that was just what I was doing as a young mother at that exact moment. Hillary is the not president making life and death decision right now.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

That could be the reason we can't get any more current tax records on Trump than 2005.

The Private Prison Industry is a very, very large part of the economy here.

Everybody who is anybody has a chip in the game.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

No it does not give pause to other nations.

The greatest, the ONLY threat to the US from a military standpoint, is and always was Russia. Diplomatic relations with Russia could be improved by forcing your idiot politicians to stop waving their phalli in the faces of most other world governments, for a start, as well as working with, not against Russia, to bring some peace to the world.

Furthermore, the MIC can ONLY be defeated, by starving them.

It actually WILL work to ONLY pay serving members of the armed forces, to refuse to continue to engage in contracts with private companies, to take all research and development, all engineering and manufacture of military equipment in house, whether that is airframes or assault harnesses. All military issue gear, should be made by the state, precisely so the MIC, the private sector can never influence whether or not wars are fought.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join