It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA Official Accused of Helping Monsanto `Kill' Cancer Study

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

The Environmental Protection Agency official who was in charge of evaluating the cancer risk of Monsanto Co.’s Roundup allegedly bragged to a company executive that he deserved a medal if he could kill another agency’s investigation into the herbicide’s key chemical.

The boast was made during an April 2015 phone conversation, according to farmers and others who say they’ve been sickened by the weed killer. After leaving his job as a manager in the EPA’s pesticide division last year, Jess Rowland has become a central figure in more than 20 lawsuits in the U.S. accusing the company of failing to warn consumers and regulators of the risk that its glyphosate-based herbicide can cause non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

EPA Official Accused of Helping Monsanto `Kill' Cancer Study

“If I can kill this I should get a medal,” Rowland told a Monsanto regulatory affairs manager who recounted the conversation in an email to his colleagues...

Plaintiffs’ lawyers said in another filing made public Tuesday that Monsanto’s toxicology manager and his boss, Bill Heydens, were ghost writers for two of the reports, including one from 2000, that Rowland’s committee relied on in part to reach its conclusion that glyphosate shouldn’t be classified as carcinogenic.

This comes from the Roundup Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2741, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (San Francisco). While not surprising Monsanto has had some shady activity, on top of that the EPA is claimed to be involved in that too. Monsanto's reply is that these claims are false, taken out of context.

Interesting to see the outcome of this in court. Meanwhile, cities and Washington State are suing Monsanto for PCB pollution.

Another article:

The filing was made public by a federal judge in San Francisco handling the litigation. The judge said last month he’s inclined to require a retired EPA official to submit to questioning by plaintiffs’ lawyers who contend he had a “ highly suspicious ” relationship with Monsanto. The former official oversaw a committee that found insufficient evidence to conclude glyphosate causes cancer and left his job last year after his report was leaked to the press.

"Monsanto Accused of Ghostwriting Papers on Roundup Cancer Risk" - Source - Yahoo

edit on 14-3-2017 by dreamingawake because: spell check issues.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I heard about this today... sounds pretttty damning to say the least. Surprising? Only to those who have been sleeping under a rock

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If Monsanto goes down, nothing else is going to grow on the soil that is loaded with roundup. There is a lot of roundup that has been sprayed on a lot of fields in this country. If that land is worthless, then we will be in trouble.

That is the plan, ruin everything so only their products can be grown. They then control the world.
edit on 14-3-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If Monsanto goes down, nothing else is going to grow on the soil that is loaded with roundup. There is a lot of roundup that has been sprayed on a lot of fields in this country. If that land is worthless, then we will be in trouble.

That is the plan, ruin everything so only their products can be grown. They then control the world.

As nuts as that sounds, it actually makes a lot of sense....

This is a prime example of why families who have the ability should grow their own gardens. That way they know what is going onto the food they eat. Just like the victory gardens of WW2. However I know this is not feasible for all people.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Scum. Of. The. Earth.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
there will be at least one very vocal resident monsanto defender in shortly to defend them and poo poo on this article and law suit. you will recognize them by the style they use.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Government is a racket, always has been.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Does this matter?

The system is not about what is right, it is about money. Are we to think that a law suit can not get tainted?

The whole thing stinks. Not only is this sprayed on a number of different grains to control weeds. It is sprayed on wheat after harvest to control fungus growth.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Trump taking 2 billion away from them doesn't sound so bad now. Maybe they can drain the EPA swamp and get some people in to make honest policy decisions.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
GLYPHOSATE

Chemistry or material safety data sheet

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

That is an old MSDS. Can you find a new SDS? The rules changed in 2014. And the ones I've seen, at least admit that it "May be toxic to aquatic life"
But still list that it ISN"T on the Sarah title III, or even on CA's list of toxic's, which is unbelievable, since some really "benign" stuff is on their list.
(I work with SDS's)

As much as I want to Monsanto fry, and as much as they deserve to, I think them being bought by Bayer is going to keep them around. After all, all they will have to do is change a few names, and people will forget about it. Well, some people.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

ill be happy to serve you a glass full.....you know...since its supposedly so safe.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: tribal

your post reminded me of this.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore
You haven't heard? Monsanto and GMOs and Pesticides are the bees' knees!

Oh, wait--they're murdering the bees' knees, that's right. I get that confused sometimes.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Not only is Roundup sprayed everywhere, it is genetically implanted in GMO corn. The bugs eat the corn and their stomachs blow up. Yet it completely safe to human beings, right?

An important point to be made here is that both parties, Dem's and Rep's support Monsatan. If you think the politicians in the party you support are in it for you, IMO you are sadly mistaken. Politicians are their own team: the ruling class. And they care little to nothing for we the filthy masses.

Also, if you are a supporter of "science" then look into what has happened to scientists who have fought against Monsatan. Scientists are not any more objective than lawyers. Even the ones employed by universities spend half their time trying to get grants. Once a grant is obtained, they're not going to bite the hand that feeds them.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

WELL DONE!

Let's hope this goes forward with rockets.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

That is on par with Marge serving Mr. Burns, Blinky, the three eyed fish!

Unfortunately, he is not a Monsanto spokesman.

Patrick Moore (born 1947) is a Canadian scientist and former president of Greenpeace Canada.

He has sharply and publicly differed with many policies of major environmental groups, including Greenpeace itself on other issues including forestry, biotechnology, aquaculture, and the use of chemicals for many applications. According to Greenpeace, he is "a paid spokesman for the nuclear industry, the logging industry, and genetic engineering industry" and is an outspoken proponent of nuclear energy and skeptical of sole human responsibility for climate change.

Wikipedia: Patrick Moore (environmentalist)

Wow, sounds like a fun dude! Likes nuclear energy and disavows human's involvement in climate change? I do not think I will be buying him a beer anytime soon! I doubt he would drink a beer with me anyway.

The interview was on GMO and RoundUp and the thought that it causes cancer. The response is classic!

BTW, kids don't ever drink RoundUp! Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
These mono culture farming practices need to change, and glyphosate what could possibly go wrong

Farmers sprayed 2.6 billion pounds of Monsanto’s glyphosate herbicide on U.S. agricultural land between 1992 and 2012, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

source

Thats just in the U.S alone, the soil in the U.S will be arid for a long time when these mega corps are done peddling their poison.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The EPA isn't here to protect Americans or the environment, it's purpose is to protect the corporate cronies who run the EPA.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tribal

I actually like dandelions and have no use whatsoever for weed killer; it's a waste of money and lazy, if you don't want them? Make a hook with your fore finger make a circle around the base of the plant and pull it out takes all of 1/2 a second. All pulled by the time spent to make money to buy weed killer, put gas in a vehicle and then go buy some weed killer.

Nah Ima go buy some junk waste way more time and money than just getting down on the knees and pulling. If I am going to be frivilous; I'd rather put my time and funds elsewhere.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join