It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia launches girls' council - without any girls

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

It was an encouraging initiative for a country not known for giving women a platform in public life.

But when Saudi Arabia wanted to show off its inaugural girls' council in al-Qassim province, they overlooked one thing: the women. Pictures released to mark the first Qassim Girls Council meeting showed 13 men on stage, and not a single female. The women were apparently in another room, linked via video. The male-dominated photos have been circulating widely on social media, after the meeting took place on Saturday.

The Saudi launch was led by Prince Faisal bin Mishal bin Saud, the province's governor, who said he was proud of the conference and it was the first of its kind in the kingdom.

"In the Qassim region, we look at women as sisters to men, and we feel a responsibility to open up more and more opportunities that will serve the work of women and girls," he said.

The girls' council is chaired by Princess Abir bint Salman, his wife, who was not in the photograph.

In Saudi Arabia, a state policy of gender segregation between unrelated men and women is rigorously enforced.

But the country may be moving toward loosening some of its rules as part of its Vision 2030 programme.

Its goals included increasing women's participation in the workforce from 22% to 30%.

In his speech to launch the girls' council, Prince Faisal said women make up half of society, although looking at that picture, you would not know it.

www.bbc.com...

Well people, I wonder how come Trump did not put Saudi Arabia in the banned list and sold arms to a country known for sponsoring terrorism and violating human rights?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I like how this pathetic appeasement effort only covers one province. Real progress right there Saudi Arabia.

I predict at this rate a town of 15,000 in Saudi Arabia will no longer stone women to death for adultery after they get raped by the year 2070

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

*Saudi Arabia Launches Girls Council* - without any girls.

Not really surprising!! .... they don't even let women drive!

!www.dailymail.co.uk... html

edit on 14-3-2017 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

baby steps my friend, baby steps. It my be one small step, even fractional, but it is a step forward.

Seriously hard to not be pissed about this pathetic effort though.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

baby steps my friend, baby steps. It my be one small step, even fractional, but it is a step forward.

I think this particular baby has had its feet cut off...... figuratively speaking!

(post by MikeTrivisonno removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
And this is different then all those White Male Republicans making laws against women's reproductive systems?

How?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You mean kinda like this?

Donald Trumps EO on Anti-abortion laws.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Sounds like a pedophiles wet dream really and not exactly what i would call progressive in any shape or form.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

The OP even mentions Trump. His OWN words.

And I think you are missing the similarities between the two situations here.
Let me point it out for you.
Women's rights and their body are in question.
MEN not women, are making the final decisions.

See what I am getting at here?
edit on 14-3-2017 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Mar 14 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

i get it how you are pissed off that the women are somewhere else and no photographs of them with their bops and hair and the tight dresses, you see its a different culture and they do it differently, so why are you so triggered?

are you trying to impose something on another nation? looks like you are a typical westner person that would love to impose your ideas on another nation, well let me tell you something, you cant and you will not, so if you dont like it get over it and live with it, because nobody in this region gives a damn, so whine about it all you can

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
And this is different then all those White Male Republicans making laws against women's reproductive systems?

How?

The difference is we don't bury you up to your neck and throw rocks at your head when you break said laws....Don't believe me....buy a ticket to Saudi Arabia and attempt your feminist movement....better make it a one way ticket on second thought...

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

How?

The difference is we don't bury you up to your neck and throw rocks at your head when you break said laws....Don't believe me....buy a ticket to Saudi Arabia and attempt your feminist movement....better make it a one way ticket on second thought...

Still men making laws for women.

No difference.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So all Republicans are all men now?? Got it....There are no "women" law makers any more....Does that same rule of "men only" apply for Democrats too or just those sexist Republicans??

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

i get it how you are pissed off that the women are somewhere else and no photographs of them with their bops and hair and the tight dresses, you see its a different culture and they do it differently, so why are you so triggered?

are you trying to impose something on another nation? looks like you are a typical westner person that would love to impose your ideas on another nation, well let me tell you something, you cant and you will not, so if you dont like it get over it and live with it, because nobody in this region gives a damn, so whine about it all you can

It seems to have very little to do with culture and more to do with the barbaric terrorist sect of the religion they follow.

Since women in the more secular/moderate countries of the middle east have far superior rights than those in the barbaric gulf monarchies.

Wearing the Burka and similar symbols of oppression is not required by law in places like Egypt, Government held Syria, Iraq, Lebanon etc.

Of course women should be free to wear those if they want, but to impose it by law, and enact (severe) punishment for non-compliance, is wrong.

Indeed in Iraq, unlike Saudi Arabia, no woman will be executed as an adulterer for being raped. Indeed her rapist will be put to death instead. A far more just outcome in my opinion.

The tyrannical House of Saud and their servile friends can impose whatever barbaric & medieval laws they see fit. However I feel that a country that imposes such laws should expect no interaction of any kind from my, or any other country.

When they spread their barbaric sect of Islam overseas, radicalise other more moderate and peaceful Muslims in our countries, and support terrorist organisations actively at war with us, that is when we should take direct action.

In that final regard the House of Saud should have been deposed decades ago.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

How?

i dare you you ignorant person, stoning a married adulterer happened twice during the prophets period, and an interesting one happened during his time when a woman came to him and confessed of adultery and he asked her to go away turning her back and giving her a chance, but she she came back to him and said i did it and i want punishment, he told her come back after you give birth to the child, and when she did she came to him asking for punishment, and even at that time he gave her another chance and told her to breast feed the child for two years giving her a chance to stop calling for punishment but she didn't stop and after tow years she cane back to him offering her self for punishment and after she testified on her self for four times during those years he ordered the execution

its not like you can accuse anybody of adultery, there has to be 4 witnesses of the act at the same time and the same place by all witnesses otherwise there is no crime, its that difficult to convict an adulterer

(post by Deny Arrogance removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

It seems to have very little to do with culture and more to do with the barbaric terrorist sect of the religion they follow.

no that is wrong and its your opinion

Since women in the more secular/moderate countries of the middle east have far superior rights than those in the barbaric gulf monarchies. Wearing the Burka and similar symbols of oppression is not required by law in places like Egypt, Government held Syria, Iraq, Lebanon etc.

again its cultural to some countries, its not like that you will be killed for it

Indeed in Iraq, unlike Saudi Arabia, no woman will be executed as an adulterer for being raped. Indeed her rapist will be put to death instead. A far more just outcome in my opinion.

show me a case where a woman who was raped got a death sentence in our region, and im talking here the GCC countries not the twisted other regions

The tyrannical House of Saud and their servile friends can impose whatever barbaric & medieval laws they see fit. However I feel that a country that imposes such laws should expect no interaction of any kind from my, or any other country.

elaborate please, because im from a nabour country which is the UAE and we dont impose barbaric whatever things you mentioned which i see as fake news

When they spread their barbaric sect of Islam overseas, radicalise other more moderate and peaceful Muslims in our countries, and support terrorist organisations actively at war with us, that is when we should take direct action.

could you please prove this without a biased news network or a biased website?

In that final regard the House of Saud should have been deposed decades ago.

you have the right to say what ever you want but you dont have the right to impose it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join