It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

March Madness Blizzard of 2017 Share your pics.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
Just think how big of a snowman you could build!

Get to it!

Edit; or snowwoman.

Talking of Snowmen.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis
Ah Eisegesis that sucks! Although I will say that some of my best times at work were when we were "snowed in".

*ETA: After looking at this picture...I have questions. How is the car beyond covered but I can still see grass in the background????)

edit on 3/14/2017 by Martin75 because: something strange is going on in this picture

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I want me some of that!

We got left behind entirely this winter. It was mild as heck for the most part!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I want me some of that!

We got left behind entirely this winter. It was mild as heck for the most part!

You can have it! Roof of my fruit tree garden collapsed under the weight and now I have to trudge through the yard to save the trampoline before that goes next. The pine tree next to my house is a bit concerning also.

But alas, we still have power and internet and the genny is fueled and standing by in the event we do lose power. Without power to the well pump, we'll be without water. Last time we lost power was for four days.

There are pro's and con's to living in the forest.
edit on 14-3-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

No pics, but my daughter is stuck in NOLA because they've closed the Baltimore leg of her flight back to Buffalo. On the up side, she now has the chance to check out Frenchman Street. (my sound advice)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Just in case you are serious about your question Martin75, this sort of terrain, with tops and troughs, dips and peaks, often has a surprising relationship with snow.

The deeper parts often get the greatest number of feet of snow total, because the shape of the depression in the ground creates an instability in airflow, disrupting the stream of air such that anything caught up in the failing stream is dropped into the depression. The peaks however, like that little scrap of grass there, are always scoured by the strongest winds, so snow deposited there can be blown clear off that ridge, to settle elsewhere, in the lee of the wind, any place where the wind does not hit full on. This is different to a situation like you get when a wall is in the full force of the wind, and the wind just blasts that surface with snow, which gets lodged in place and does not move, creating massive drifts.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I will take em.

Sick of living the urban life. Its bad for the soul.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Thank you True!!! I was wondering if someone had "doctored" the picture. Here in WV our snow just piles up everywhere! LOL

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Well, clearly someone doctored the picture, because as you can see, there is textual information included, which, unless I miss my mark, is not something one finds very often in nature!

Another thing worth noting, is that when an area gets covered in snow, and the sun comes out, the first things to reveal themselves, are the highest points, generally. That does not apply to mountain tops, because they, obviously, are very high up, and often at a lower air temperature than further down, toward the foot of the mountain.

Interestingly, the dynamics which lead to depressions being filled with snow rapidly, can mean that uneven terrain ends up looking very even, as if it were flat, even if it is full of depressions, ditches and the like. Its only when the sun melts the snow that you note that the middle of these depressions have more snow than land in them! Hehe!
edit on 14-3-2017 by TrueBrit because: grammatical edit

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I will take em.

Sick of living the urban life. Its bad for the soul.

Currently at 20in and still getting about an inch per hour with no end in sight.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
LOL well I figured that the words weren't there! But the rest of your information was excellent! Could make walking across the field an interesting adventure!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Right and while you guys waking up to something really awesome, I myself was waking up into the low 80s in Central Cali. Trust me hell's heat in Bakersfield will starting early.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Indeed!

When I was between the ages of three and about eight years of age, we used to get really solid winters in my neck of the woods. A good few feet of snow was a fairly common occurrence at wintertime. I used to get my mother to take me down to the beach, because back away from the sands, was a huge common green area. The terrain there was rather non-standard, to say the least of it, back before the council decided it all needed to be level, and safe for the terminally idiotic.

There were depressions I could get completely lost in when I was a toddler, which led to me charging off into a snow bank, only to totally disappear from sight. My mother used to have to find me by the sound of crunching snow, and barely repressed giggles, as I carved myself channels under the snow! It was GREAT!

These days of course, I am not so small as to be able to get lost in a snowbank of that size, and what is more, it is becoming increasingly rare that any serious kind of snowfall will be encountered here, even during the frozen guts of winter. It is unfortunate, since the ceaseless rise in average yearly temperature means that I am denied the simple pleasure of the inconvenience that comes with a large amount of snow. I know many people are upset by snow, since it makes it harder/impossible to get anywhere for many. But for me, it is comfortable. Pleasant. It reduces the amount of nonsense I think about, reduces everything to the simple joys of hard physical work, surrounded by stark natural beauty.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
You and my husband would get along perfectly! I think I have actually had to pull him out of a snowbank! When he realized that we had missed the big one and only ended up with about 3 inches, I think he teared up a little, LOL. As for me, 3 inches is just fine. I hate being cold. If we could somehow warm up the snow, then maybe. The only snow my skis hit is the melted kind that belongs in a lake!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
I hate being cold. If we could somehow warm up the snow, then maybe. The only snow my skis hit is the melted kind that belongs in a lake!

You're not alone in that thought.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

which state is this?

Nvm: you said PA

edit on 14-3-2017 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
Thank you True!!! I was wondering if someone had "doctored" the picture. Here in WV our snow just piles up everywhere! LOL

I am a WV native... I miss it. I now live in N. Idaho. My car has been buried since about New Years; I MAY get her out this week, if the weather holds. We have had nearly 7 feet of snow this year. Yeah. 84+ inches of snow. At one point, about 6 weeks ago, my yard resembled a WWI battlefield... deep trenches we had to keep digging out so we could get to the wife's Jeep, the chickens and the goat pen.

I still have mounds of snow over 6 feet high in my yard from having the driveway plowed. Some of this crap may still be melting in June...

Blah...
edit on 15-3-2017 by madmac5150 because: My ducks are assholes

top topics

<< 1   >>

join