It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh dear, they are getting desparate.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Certain tories and their press mouth-pieces have been getting all hot under the collar about these proposed posters.

and

- Certain writers in the UK press seem to have forgotten all about their previous 'PC-ism gone mad' comments and wriggled amazingly to be able to pronounce this as 'anti-semetic'.
(Rees-Mogg of the Times and Melanie Phillips of the Daily Mail especially seem to have gotten hypocricy down to a fine art as anyone seeing their previous thoughts about 'cultural swamping', immigrants and foreigners would know)

It also seems to have escaped their notice that this was a series of 'try-outs' on a web-site and not a full public poster campaign.

Personally I think 'pigs might fly' a perfectly suitable long established expression in the UK and I would love for someone to explain just how the hypnotism image is 'anti-semetic', exactly.

They're getting desparate, here's a clue as to maybe why.....

www.mirror.co.uk...=15139010%26method=full%26siteid=50143%

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

whats so wronge about using the "when pigs can fly" humor?

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally said by Blair in March 1997
Positive policies win elections not negative campaigning

Really Mr Blair....try following your own advice

[edit on 6-2-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Hmmm, I'm sorry, but using computer-generated montages to stick your opponent's face on animals or funny situations is sooooo passé. The Labour Party can find better.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Well it seems to me its labour who are getting desperate. If they've done such a good job, why can't they have a poster campaign about all the wonderful things they've done for the country? Why not posters about their record on crime? Why not point out how pumping billions into the NHS has been excellent value for money because every penny spent, has been spent well? How about pointing out that they haven't raised taxes like they promised? OK, so that one really would be taking the p!ss

The reason they don't is because as usual, they prefer personal attacks and smear campaigns. Has anyone seen a tory poster that attacks ANY labour minister by name? Thought not

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
Well it seems to me its labour who are getting desperate.

- In which parellel universe is this meant to be so? Labour are on course for a 3rd successive landslide in the coming general election. Wake up.

If they've done such a good job, why can't they have a poster campaign about all the wonderful things they've done for the country?

- There haqve been and there will be more. Have you not seen the '......more nurses posters'? Or the .....more doctors posters?

There will be also plenty of 'don't let them wreck it' types too - we learned that style well from the tory crowd. It seems only tories think they should be allowed to play like that, hmmm?

The reason they don't is because as usual, they prefer personal attacks and smear campaigns. Has anyone seen a tory poster that attacks ANY labour minister by name? Thought not

- So tell me, what is the difference beyween that laughably sad 'Demon Eyes' campaign showing Tony Blair with - wait for it - 'demon eyes' (I kid you not
) or the latest tory poster showing Blair and Gordon Brown looking like they're boxing each other?

I think you are just being highly selective in what you recall about all this to the point of lying.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   

- In which parellel universe is this meant to be so? Labour are on course for a 3rd successive landslide in the coming general election. Wake up.

sminkey, seriously - labour is seemingly headed for another victory, yes. but you seriously think this would be the case if there was a valid and strong alternative? I am seriously thinking about spoiling my vote as a protest as there isnt a government that could represent me or, IMO, our country's interests as well as they should.

- There haqve been and there will be more. Have you not seen the '......more nurses posters'? Or the .....more doctors posters?

everytime i watch PMQ's (on average about once a month), all i hear is tony blair attacking the tory record of EIGHT years plus ago. that is now history. i want to know what the government is going to do for me, not what the tory party did before i was old enough to vote or how bad they would do. why is there no interest in politics? because the men who run our country, typically, are old fashioned, childish pigs who are more interested in personal vendettas instead of representing us.

- So tell me, what is the difference beyween that laughably sad 'Demon Eyes' campaign showing Tony Blair with - wait for it - 'demon eyes' (I kid you not
) or the latest tory poster showing Blair and Gordon Brown looking like they're boxing each other?

so labour should rise above it. exactly what i said about personal vendettas. posters such as this (i havent seen the latest one youve mentioned) are pathetic.

[edit on 18/2/05 by gareth_24]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gareth_24
labour is seemingly headed for another victory, yes. but you seriously think this would be the case if there was a valid and strong alternative?

- We have what we have I'm afraid. Until others stand up and bring on this strong alternative we got what we got.

I am seriously thinking about spoiling my vote as a protest as there isnt a government that could represent me or, IMO, our country's interests as well as they should.

- You are free to 'enjoy' that liberty under our system. But until everyione is up for that game I'll be doing my best to ensure a Labour win cos the prospect of a Howard tory alternative is just too horrendous to contemplate.

everytime i watch PMQ's (on average about once a month), all i hear is tony blair attacking the tory record of EIGHT years plus ago.

- Be fair Gareth, that is only part of it.
PMQ's is all about that kind of thing. It is showmanship and theatre. It has never been any different. It most certainly is not where the work is done in British politics and never has been.

so labour should rise above it.

- OK, to a point.
So long as we aren't forced to do what the tories love us to do, in other words Labour being forced to defend a higher standard that they have no mission of ever defending themselves.

exactly what i said about personal vendettas. posters such as this (i havent seen the latest one youve mentioned) are pathetic.

- Demon eyes was from the 1997 campaign but the boxing one was a month or two back.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

- Be fair Gareth, that is only part of it.
PMQ's is all about that kind of thing. It is showmanship and theatre. It has never been any different. It most certainly is not where the work is done in British politics and never has been.

of course, but im talking about the perception that the public gets and watching PMQ's, Question Time, etc. all they do is bicker and squabble like children. This is the public image of politics. and to be honest, i wonder if its much different behind the scenes.....!

top topics

join