It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is technology out of control?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Just looking for feedback and your thoughts on the subject. Is technology spinning out of control?

Digital photography and video that can be easily manipulated, cell phones with cameras in them, tiny digital audio recorders, hidden video cameras, DVD players in cars, Internet gambling, satellite radio, instant electronic messaging, etc. Is all this making our lives easier or more dangerous?

I read an AP report recently that a child molestor used an Amber Alert database to kidnap and assault a young girl.

In my profession of law enforcement, most judges are refusing to allow digital photos or video to be used as evidence because it can be manipulated.

Drug dealers are using high tech scanners to monitor law enforcement cell phone conversations and use this information to develop intel on cops.

An article in a law enforcement magazine advised that technology is now available which allows strangers to access your private e-mail account with a CELL PHONE.

A law enforcement bulletin from the FBI advised that, when staying at a hotel, you should take your electronic key card with you when you check out because these cards contain credit card information and your home address on them which can be accessed by crooked hotel clerks.

Just a few examples. I would like your opinions on this and possible solutions to such problems. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Unfortunately you are correct. Both digital photographs and video can now be manipulated, and the software required to do so is easily obtained. Photoshop, for example is occasionally offered free on a month long trial basis and is therefore available to anyone.

Whereas it is true that an electronic 'fingerprint' is left (for example in the form of pixelised images) it is possible that a high level Photoshop user can override that. Many photographs here in ATS are subjected to analysis in order to discover if they are genuine or not, but I daresay if a PSP user is knowledgeable enough, they could fool even the members of ATS.

JAK

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Unfortunately you are correct. Both digital photographs and video can now be manipulated, and the software required to do so is easily obtained...

Many photographs here in ATS are subjected to analysis in order to discover if they are genuine or not, but I daresay if a PSP user is knowledgeable enough, they could fool even the members of ATS.

Yea, but that is you in your avatar isn't it Pisky?

Jack

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
Yea, but that is you in your avatar isn't it Pisky?

Yes, but I used Pixy magic rather than Photoshop

Edit due to lack of alcohol

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Pisky]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
The ironic thing about all this? In many cases, the same corporation that makes the technology for invading your privacy is the same corporation that makes the technology for blocking those invasions of privacy. In law enforcement, the exact same companies making the new, high-tech radar units for our patrol cars are the same people who make the advanced radar detectors that can pick up the signal from our "new" radars! Not a bad scam, huh?

It doesn't stop there. In a lot of cases, the same company selling you that fancy burglar alarm for your mansion is the same company (usually under another name) that sells spyware and surveillance equipment for the burglars to use!

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Which is similar to the banks who lent the allies money to purchase weaponry to fight Hitlers Third Reich and then also lent money to him to fight us :shk:

I hope Hell is big enough to hold them all.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
At the risk of getting off the subject into politics, the same thing happened in Iraq in 1991. I was being fired upon by weapons that were sold to Saddam by the US Gov't during the Iran/Iraq war. I guess what it all boils down to is this: As long as we're making money, screw the rules! Sad.......

new topics

top topics

join