It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake News breeding ignorance.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
So just a bit of a observation, and a obvious observation and that but one that I think is worthy of discussion.

Now is it just me or is the advent of fake news the holy grail of revisionist conspiracy theories? Honestly in thread after thread we see frankly silly and lazy argument of people refuting actual facts as just being "fake news" because it does not fit with their views. I for one am getting a bit fed up of this, its impossible to engage anyone in any meaningful and factual debate when if someone is faced with information that challenges their views they simply dismiss it as "fake news". How can we progress in debate or your quest to deny ignorance if we just pull out the fake news card every time we are faced with information we dont like.

And its the hypocrisy of it as well that can be seen all over the internet, in debates where members dismiss information they do not like as coming from established fake news sources yet then post counter information from a trustworthy source. What makes one source "real" news and not "fake" news? quite simply it is the beliefs of the reader does not matter how accurate the information is so long as it enforces the views of the reader. This attitude is just a toxic breading ground for ignorance.

All media is bias, all media these days has a political spin but if several news sources start running a story that says "North Korea launched some missiles today in a test" then I am fairly certain its true. Journalism is the first draft of history and I think it is so dangerous to start calling it "fake news" because we don't like whats happening in the world. If your favourite politician says something abhorrently derogatory about a milk farmer that shows said politician is a grade A dick head, then dismissing this as fake news and pretending it never happened is behond ignorant when you start doing that you've gone full retard and i have no hope for you.

Actually when you start dismissing everything you dont like as fake news that is the point at which there is just no point in engaging in the debate. It becomes a exercise in futility.

Anyway just some night time thoughts.
edit on 8-3-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I am not sure about the "bread" part

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Watcher777

I am not sure about the "bread" part

I am dyslexic deal with it.

link   
The whole time I was reading the OP all I could think of is how some here have stated that they would support falsifying information in order to remove the president of the united states.

Which raises the question, How do you "engage anyone in any meaningful and factual debate" if they are willing to use lies in order to fulfill their "feelings" with regard to a situation or person.

link   

Now is it just me or is the advent of fake news the holy grail of revisionist conspiracy theories?

"Advent of fake news." Where you been?

Oh, generating more fake threads.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Anyone care to actually discuss the point of the thread or just keep attacking the player not the ball?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Anyone care to actually discuss the point of the thread or just keep attacking the player not the ball?

Do we have to use facts or can we just make stuff up in order to fit the desired outcome?

Or does it depend on which side of the argument one is on?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Fake news has always been around, it's how they have helped form our opinions of other nations and other agendas.

In real terms it's propaganda from all sides, and you have to decide to choose one, or not.

Do I believe everything that the MSM say, no, do I believe everything alternative news sites say, no. It's difficult to decipher at times and be damned if I can call it 10% of the time, if not less.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

You're right. To discount something as "fake news" without being able to say why that is the case is a common fallacy. We see it against all sorts of news, both left and right.

It's the genetic fallacy. It fails to assess a piece of journalism on its own merit, but reaches a conclusion based on where it comes from, whether the journalism is true or false.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Its good they use that identifier. people who start shouting fake news simply out of ideological purity can ultimately be dismissed.

"scientists are overwhelmingly concerned about global warming"
"fake news"

What is the alternative? Who is the "real news"? Infowars? I have been noticing people around here using yournewswire.com..because that seems legit. heh

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

And sometimes when they get on a roll, they will use a separate statement from the very same source that they just got through labeling as fake to bolster their own argument because now the source agees with them.

I saw this just the other night. When James Clapper denied that their were any wire taps on Trump, the guy supporting Trump said Clapper was a proven liar based on false testimony he had given before Congress and then less that a minute later, he quoted Clapper on another subject where they were in agreement and used him to bolster his own position.

And I always heard that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Not any more!

In these crazy times, they just float back & forth on both sides of an issue, proclaiming "fake news" when anyone disagrees with their current position and pre-determined bias.

Retired SCOTUS justice David Souter warned us that our downfall would be brought about by the onset of willful ignorance and he was right as rain.

It's happening right before our eyes.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Well, considering you compared our President to "Hitler" and then even went as far as sanctioning fake material to get him impeached...

It isn't really the aspect of fake news breeding ignorance, we have several members here who have broken through the veil to provide evidence and food for thought. In fact, there engaging conversations going on right now and even a few members extending the olive branch and agreeing to a middle ground, to a certain extent, still its progress.

To be honest, the truth resides between the lines now and that requires some critical thinking, shifting and skimming techniques of the average daily browser.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Well I'll give you one thing. Fake news definitely breeded ignorance.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Me for two.
Fake news is a tool for those who want to silence the free press and subvert discention, it's a buzzword so unsurprising it would be picked up here and used for the same purpose as the originator intended.

In my opinion.

edit on 8-3-2017 by gortex because: Spelling , damn spell check

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

That describes anything with CNN attached to it and many others. No need to waste time looking at their fake content, just recognize it for what it is and move on.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

That's right... You were advocating "fake news" for impeachment..

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Well, considering you compared our President to "Hitler" and then even went as far as sanctioning fake material to get him impeached...

So what does that have to do with this thread,

If you feel you still want to discuss these issue with me then i have thread on them that you are free to post on.

Attacking me over comments made on another thread is pretty poor form.

You are not the only one though.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Interesting, so fake news is a tool for silencing "Free Press", even though the "Free Press" is also spreading fake news?

Remind of the real news?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
The whole time I was reading the OP all I could think of is how some here have stated that they would support falsifying information in order to remove the president of the united states.

Which raises the question, How do you "engage anyone in any meaningful and factual debate" if they are willing to use lies in order to fulfill their "feelings" with regard to a situation or person.

I would not resort to lying in order to get rid of Trump. Mainly because I don't think it's necessary.

If it ever filters it's way through the fog of deceit, the truth will take him down all by itself. Who knows, might even land him in prison.

On the other hand, Trump falsified information throughout his entire campaign to get elected to that position so it doesn't surprise me that some people feel that way.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Fake news is a tool for those who want to silence the free press and subvert distention

Agreed.

I dont think the media do themselves any favours though there have been instances were they have reported on something that when fact-checked is proven false. The problem however is that these few examples then get blown up by some to say all mainstream news is fake news.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join