It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baxter the Robot Fixes Its Mistakes by Reading Your Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

…its decisions are not entirely its own, but those of a human sitting across the table—a woman with electrodes strapped to her head. The setup detects a particular signal in her brain’s electrical activity when she sees a mistake. In real time, the woman telepathically scolds Baxter... , and the robot corrects.

“We want this to be very natural and almost seamless.” And nothing is more seamless than a robot reading your mind.

...you can expect the range of communications to diversify as the technology matures. ...“We’re also very interested in the potential for using this idea in driving,” ...“where you have passengers in an autonomous car and ...the brain waves from the passengers get used by the car to adjust its own behavior.”

Baxter the Robot Fixes Its Mistakes by Reading Your Mind

Mind-reading telepathic robots. Way cool.

And backseat drivers directing your automated car telepathically. Mmm hmmm. Way more cool? Really?

But yes, mind-reading telepathic robots are becoming essential what with all the apps and devices hitting the market. Never mind prosthetics and medical add-ons. I assume wi-fi capacity is in the works, and fervently hope the hacking issue is dealt with summarily lest we have a replay of RL with our machines.

Check out the vid.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Does Baxter know what I'm thinking right now?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I'm an easy read... beer beer beer boobs firearms boobs firearms beer

edit on 3/6/2017 by ware2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Does Baxter know what I'm thinking right now?

No. You don't have a connection.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ware2010
We are on the same page. Are you Baxter? It works!

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
well, the robot will keep making mistakes if I am across the table from it. It can't read my mind, I am a scarecrow.

While I set there I would be thinking, I wonder what I can make out of the parts off that thing. It will run and hide.
edit on 6-3-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

While I set there I would be thinking, I wonder what I can make out of the parts off that thing. It will run and hide.

Hahaha

edit on 6/3/17 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Personally, I find this really astounding. Amazing.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ware2010
a reply to: Nickn3

I'm an easy read... beer beer beer boobs firearms boobs firearms beer

If Baxter can build other robots. It will probably give you one for the boobs. You will probably suffocate from it because bots don't know sex.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
VID - Brain-controlled Robots

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Here's a good one

www.engadget.com...

DARPA has laid the groundwork for thought-powered prosthetics

New research from the government's mad science wing, DARPA, could make life an awful lot easier for people who use prosthetic limbs. You see, DAPRA has devised what it calls the "Atomic Magnetometer for Biological Imaging in Earth's Native Terrain." Or, "AMBIIENT" if you're into the whole brevity thing.

Essentially what AMBIIENT does is isolate and shield the Earth's incredibly strong magnetic frequencies from a piece of equipment so that the minuscule ones produced by the human body can do things like control artificial limbs with the weak magnetic waves that are produced by thoughts. "Potentially on the horizon, for example, are sensor systems for detecting spinal signals, diagnosing concussions and brain-machine interfaces," the post from DARPA reads.

"High sensitivity magnetic sensing and imaging will offer a powerful new tool for medical research and clinical diagnosis of neurological and cardial activity," AMBIIENT's program manager Robert Lutwak says. The big idea is to make a version of the tech that is not only cheap, but one that can work practically anywhere without encountering magnetic interference. From the sounds of it, there's still quite a ways to go.

On April 3rd, DARPA will host a pitch-off of sorts where folks can propose their ideas for implementations of the tech. If you want in, you'll have to register prior.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Let the robot read your mind they said.
It will make your life easier they said
edit on 2017-03-20T18:58:26-05:002201720America/Chicago3 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Mind-reading telepathic robots. Way cool.

I'd love to be able to telepathically bludgeon every journo who uses 'telepathic' as a synonym for 'over the network' or 'radio link', or 'mind reading' as a replacement for 'basic biometric sensing'.

It sells ad impressions, but it's utter bollocks.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Good.
I was worried that robots would read men's mind and tell human women that we really are wondering what they look like naked.
Pretty much all the time.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Aw, c'mon. It works.

ED. to ADD:

First production versions of groundbreaking upper-limb prostheses becoming available to military amputees

DARPA launched the Revolutionizing Prosthetics program with a radical goal: gain U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval for an advanced electromechanical prosthetic upper limb with near-natural control that enhances independence and improves quality of life for amputees. Less than eight years after the effort was launched, that dream of development and FDA approval became a reality.

Under a recently finalized agreement between DARPA and WRNMMC, DARPA will transfer LUKE arms from an initial production run to the medical center for prescription to patients yet to be selected. Mobius Bionics will train the WRNMMC staff on fitting the prostheses as well as provide service and support of the arms.

Th e Machine Talks Back: Sensory Feedback from Brain-Controlled Prosthetic Limbs

Since the early seventies, scientists have been developing brain-machine interfaces; the main application being the use of neural prosthesis in paralyzed patients or amputees. ...

Optical techniques key to bidirectional brain-machine interfaces

...For more than 40 years, scientists have been developing brain-machine interfaces; the main objective being neural control of prosthetic limbs in paralyzed patients or amputees. A prosthetic limb directly controlled by brain activity can partially recover the lost motor function. This is achieved by decoding neuronal activity recorded with electrodes and translating it into robotic movements.

Such systems however have limited precision due to lack of sensory feedback from the artificial limb. Neuroscientists at the University of Geneva (UNIGE), Switzerland, have been investigating the possibility of transmitting this missing sensation back to the brain by optically stimulating neural activity in the cortex. They have discovered that not only is it possible to create an artificial sensation of neuroprosthetic movements, but that the underlying learning process occurs very rapidly.

edit on 21-3-2017 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Aw, c'mon. It works.

ED. to ADD:

Sorta like the list of refutory links on the other thread, these miss the mark. If I put a sensor on the remains of muscles or on motor nerves going to a limb, and use it to drive a prosthesis, it's not "telepathy".

new topics

top topics

join