It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump administration to propose 'dramatic reductions' in foreign aid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: gortex

Most foriegn doesnt help the poor.

It just funds corruption and BS.

Have you looked at the UK foreign aid budget?
Hundreds of millions are being sent to China and India!!!!! Two countrys with nuclear programs and space programs!!!

Foreign aid is effectively a codeword for bribe money. It doesn't go to help the poor. What it does do, is buy the US airspace rights and secures overseas deals for our companies. It's much more expensive to not give out foreign aid.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Text

I just got back from China. Exactly what type of program did you do? I saw tons of expensive cars, expensive shopping, etc. Don't let anyone BS anyone, there is a ton of money there. Took the Bullet Train from Beijing to Xian. So where is there a bullet train here that does 200 mph? Our hotel in Shanghai (Park Hyatt) is the 9th tallest building in the world and it stands next to the 2nd tallest building in the world. Shanghai at night looks more like Las Vegas. Also saw ghost towns of housing that is going unused. Build housing for the poor? Seems no one wants it.

Why are we sending billions to Israel? Which poor people are we helping there? Traveled the Dominican Republic and yes there are people living in paper and scrap wood huts. Problem there is any money given never hits the poor people who need it. I knew the people who ran the FDA there.

Denny
edit on 5-3-2017 by DaCook because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DaCook

Sorry that the quote didn't come through. Still learning this website and how it works. Anyway it was to the person whom said they did charity work in China. Go to the British Concession in Shanghai, tell me how many poor people you see. It is known for it's world class architecture and restaurants. Been there, done that, and I don't believe it.

Denny

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I think you were answering me.

First of all, China is a huge country. There are obviously very wealthy areas and people. However, the income/capita and other variables, which are the kinds of metrics you have to look at, are still low.

Also, development globally isn't just income, but governance, human rights, anti-corruption, environmental sustainability, etc. Those are also targeted in international development programs.

As to Israel, I agree. Military aid is not the same thing as development aid though.. You do realize that right?

As to the Dominican Republic, there are legitimate aid and NGO programs that help the poor. I know, I worked in low income farming communities in the north of the country.

You guys are right that corruption is a major issue in many of these countries, but that itself is targeted in many development governance programs.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
edit on 5-3-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: 727Sky

Gotta pay for all those new tanks , bombs and planes somehow I guess.

Let the starving poor of the world starve , making Murica Great and tax cuts for the rich must come first.

Mulvaney said the Trump administration will release its budget proposal on March 16. Reuters has reported the administration planssignificant proposed cuts in many other domestic programs.

No doubt domestic programs targeted at helping the poor of the US , Bombs and tax cuts for the rich must come first.

You cant save them all,and why should we give to people who hate us at all? Just for you to feel good about yourself? not a good enough reason.

Stop giving to africa,warlords just grab it anyway. Stop selling food and water to the saudis. Stop giving to egypt...they stab us in the back alot. Point is th emoney is better off here than places its never made a difference in how they treat us.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

I can help, too. I have considerable experience of international development cooperation at the project and programme planning level. I can help members understand, for example, what checks are used to ensure that aid money is not misspent, how projects are monitored and evaluated, and so on.

Anyone who thinks foreign aid is just handed over to Third World despots to do as they like with is sadly in error.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

I can help, too. I have considerable experience of international development cooperation at the project and programme planning level. I can help members understand, for example, what checks are used to ensure that aid money is not misspent, how projects are monitored and evaluated, and so on.

Anyone who thinks foreign aid is just handed over to Third World despots to do as they like with is sadly in error.

As a cog in the machine do you actually know the warlords do not get it anyway? they might not get it directly but its awfully easy to get it other ways.
Although some gets where its going,but point is we have problems at home to deal with first so screw the rest of the people saying gimme gimme gimme.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

How do you know what kind of cog I am? What position I occupy in the machine and what information I handle? What privileged information do you have access to?

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

How do you know what kind of cog I am? What position I occupy in the machine and what information I handle? What privileged information do you have access to?

A cog is a cog no matter the size. the machines broken. Time to stop handing out freebies to people who don t appreciate it.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

The machine is not broken.

And those looking for information and insight about international aid rather than simply looking to ventilate their small-minded prejudices may find my presence here useful.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

And those looking for information and insight about international aid rather than simply looking to ventilate their small-minded prejudices may find my presence here useful.

So what's up with Haiti?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

It’s a poor country. Do you have a specific question?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Im not being prejudice. Im saying look after ourselves first. Until we do screw the rest of the world. See im being inclusive.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Im not being prejudice.

I didn't say you were. Though you do seem remarkably unwilling to learn more about the subject under discussion here.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Finally something I can get behind him on

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

As a cog in the machine do you actually know the warlords do not get it anyway? they might not get it directly but its awfully easy to get it other ways.
Although some gets where its going,but point is we have problems at home to deal with first so screw the rest of the people saying gimme gimme gimme.

WHy do you assume you know, as a non-expert nor a practitioner?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Why do you assume you know, as a non-expert nor a practitioner?

Oh, experts are all washed up now. The amateurs are having a go.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The media is reporting that the G20 policy makers are having trouble cornering the US officials over "free trade".
US wants the ability to use tariffs if necessary and that creates investment risk for companies that might suddenly lose US market share due to a tariff levied against them.

Something going on here??

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join