It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Racist food photography': Is social media fuelling 'cultural appropriation'?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well, Celeste Noche who I doubt anyone has ever heard of, is now in the news. I'd imagine that was the true intent.

Now I suppose I should go hide in a closet and secretly eat some Peking Duck; the closet I go to, to enjoy a Big Mac in case someone see's me.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Traditionalists would say that using a soup spoon is wrong, as it is customary to "slurp" the soup by tipping the bowl in to your mouth.

You must be racist...ya, that's it.

Actually, many of those culinary "taboos" are rooted in superstition.
edit on 2-3-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

The over use of the "your a racist" continues.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
What? Huh?

How, why is this a topic?

The ATS downward spiral continues....

More fake victimization of a non important issue, yes ppl do and say stupid sht all the time and it is annoying but so better suited to the Rant or Mud Pit forum , an important issue of which I am not certain anyone posted on as yet is this judge that gave community service to a former student that sodomized a mentally challenged school mate with a coat hanger along with others while ranting about east coast liberal influence , this same judge gave similar punishment to another rapist ...now that's cause for social unrest.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

That is a long sentence.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I am probably the most liberal pro-establishment , anti-racist, pro-political correctness person on this board.

I support BLM..

I recognize my white privilege

But the one trend that has come out from my fellow liberal bretheren...

That seems counterproductive, bats*** crazy and just ludicrous...

Is the whole "Cultural Appropriation" thing

I'm not afraid to say it. It's too far.

When white people wear dreads.. embrace hip-hop culture... wear kimonos and eat fries rice with chop sticks... dress up in traditional garb of other cultures and countries and attend those events...

It is a sign of respect, intrigue, and a compliment to those cultures.. not an adoption and misrepresentation

It is a sharing and appreciation of culture

It's counterproductive when people yell at my fellow white people for embracing other cultures. It should be encouraged! That's how racism will be defeated.

I almost feel like the whole anti cultural approprivation movement was started by conservatives to make us liberals look crazy and contradictory

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I cook lamb chops on a comal....

Is that racist or multicultural? I would hate to offend.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Microaggressions in food, yes food. Put chop stick in rice or Asian dishes on bamboo mats this is racist.

Food media is generated by white people for whites. So when it goes outside Western canon, it not uncommon to see things generalized (racism).

"Food media is predominantly generated by white people for white people, so when the subject veers toward anything outside of the Western canon, it's not uncommon to see things generalised, exotified, or misrepresented. "
www.bbc.com...

Micro aggression in social media are reflective of the "food media". And microaggressions can be as simple as lack of research. (racism)
Rice with chop sticks or Asian food with banana leaves- a big no no. (racism)

"I think microaggressions in social media are reflective of food media as a whole in that appropriation," Noche tells BBC Trending, "These microaggressions can be as simple as a lack of research."

Whether it's taking photos of dishes with chopsticks sticking straight up into rice or noodles (which can be seen as offensive in some Asian cultures)", she says, "or dramatisation in the props used to style ethnic foods (why are Asian dishes so often styled on bamboo mats or banana leaves with chopsticks?)".

Andrew Zimmern has also fallen into this stereo typing of food (racist). He is a chef and dared to do a recipe for Filipino Short ribs and had the nerve to put chop sticks by the food.

Noche added that established food blogs like that of Andrew Zimmern also fed into stereotypes.

"(His) recipe for Filipino short ribs is styled with chopsticks even though Filipinos traditionally eat with spoons and forks or their hands".

Zimmern has not responded to a request for comment at the time of writing.

The problem I have is that people of all races and countries and cultures make mistakes such as these from simple ignorance.

The people making these assertions suffer under the delusion that ONLY white people are not all knowing about every single culture out there. In reality, virtually no one is, even those who strive to be so and are well traveled.

Impossible standards, and a double standard when applied to only white people.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You post this sarcastically? If not, I completely disagree with you.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
What? Huh?

How, why is this a topic?

The ATS downward spiral continues....

It is a good topic... The op is exposing the downward spiral of identity politics, which while ostensibly claiming to represent social justice, actually engages in all manners of extremisms. And given it's prominence in modern discourse, these topics are important to deconscruct.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I don't think it is ignorant to use chopsticks with rice. It is the height of foolishness for the story to consider any of this to be any more important or relevant than another poorly done SNL skit.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

a reply to: Black_Fox

Can't see the irony to how abused the "your a racist card" that has been a staple since Bill Clinton's admin has become?

Now it has been reduced to to call food stylists racist for adorning food with chop sticks.

Agreed. It's become absolutely over the top.

This isn't to criticize real, rationale activism.

But, this isn't it..

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Is a hot dog with mayonnaise conisdered as depiction of a gangbang next? People need new hobbies i guess. This crap is completely out of control. Sausage Party was a biopic well i didn't see that coming that's for sure. Stupidity should be outlawed.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

This can't be a real issue. Calling this micro aggression is silly and so is the term micro aggression,

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I don't think it is ignorant to use chopsticks with rice. It is the height of foolishness for the story to consider any of this to be any more important or relevant than another poorly done SNL skit.

of course, I was generally agreeing with you.

And it's an insane standard of those people to think that white people need to at all times have some hyper-perfected practice with anything, a hyper-awareness that isn't applied to anyone else.

Also, the idea of "authentic" foods is a fallacy itself, as virtually all dishes are products of cultural fusion over the centuries. For example, many southeast Asian cultures use a red pepper that they didn't even have until the Portuguese introduced it to them.

This sh%t is getting insane.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

I cook lamb chops on a comal....

Is that racist or multicultural? I would hate to offend.

Dayuum!! that is making me hungry , please offend me ..btw what is truly offensive is corn, tuna and pineapple on freaking pizza..

edit on 2-3-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
I am probably the most liberal pro-establishment , anti-racist, pro-political correctness person on this board.

I support BLM..

I recognize my white privilege

But the one trend that has come out from my fellow liberal bretheren...

That seems counterproductive, bats*** crazy and just ludicrous...

Is the whole "Cultural Appropriation" thing

I'm not afraid to say it. It's too far.

When white people wear dreads.. embrace hip-hop culture... wear kimonos and eat fries rice with chop sticks... dress up in traditional garb of other cultures and countries and attend those events...

It is a sign of respect, intrigue, and a compliment to those cultures.. not an adoption and misrepresentation

It is a sharing and appreciation of culture

It's counterproductive when people yell at my fellow white people for embracing other cultures. It should be encouraged! That's how racism will be defeated.

I almost feel like the whole anti cultural approprivation movement was started by conservatives to make us liberals look crazy and contradictory

Yes "cultural appropriation" is one area where identity politics has gone off the rails. All cultures borrow, synthesize, adopt, etc. People from every country in the world "appropriate" elements of western culture, and vice versa. ALL OF THE TIME, FOR CENTURIES. It's how cultures evolve often.

I mean sh$t, buddhism started in India and spread to virtually all of Asia. ALL of those cultures "appropriated" Buddhism, as it didn't start in their countries!!

It's almost as if the identity politics people have a very superficial understanding of history and anthropology.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Yes, it is silly.

When there is worry about offending people with pictures of food and tools/silverware used to eat it, it's nuts.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

a reply to: Antipathy17

This can't be a real issue. Calling this micro aggression is silly and so is the term micro aggression,

Microaggressions and cultural misappropriation are farcical concepts at best.

It really does seem like political correctness will be the chief contributor to the downfall of humanity.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost
As more things get identified as racist, the pendulum will swing back as it always has. It would be nice it it could end up somewhere in the middle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join