It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Racist food photography': Is social media fuelling 'cultural appropriation'?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Microaggressions in food, yes food. Put chop stick in rice or Asian dishes on bamboo mats this is racist.

Food media is generated by white people for whites. So when it goes outside Western canon, it not uncommon to see things generalized (racism).

"Food media is predominantly generated by white people for white people, so when the subject veers toward anything outside of the Western canon, it's not uncommon to see things generalised, exotified, or misrepresented. "
www.bbc.com...

Micro aggression in social media are reflective of the "food media". And microaggressions can be as simple as lack of research. (racism)
Rice with chop sticks or Asian food with banana leaves- a big no no. (racism)

"I think microaggressions in social media are reflective of food media as a whole in that appropriation," Noche tells BBC Trending, "These microaggressions can be as simple as a lack of research."

Whether it's taking photos of dishes with chopsticks sticking straight up into rice or noodles (which can be seen as offensive in some Asian cultures)", she says, "or dramatisation in the props used to style ethnic foods (why are Asian dishes so often styled on bamboo mats or banana leaves with chopsticks?)".

Andrew Zimmern has also fallen into this stereo typing of food (racist). He is a chef and dared to do a recipe for Filipino Short ribs and had the nerve to put chop sticks by the food.

Noche added that established food blogs like that of Andrew Zimmern also fed into stereotypes.

"(His) recipe for Filipino short ribs is styled with chopsticks even though Filipinos traditionally eat with spoons and forks or their hands".

Zimmern has not responded to a request for comment at the time of writing.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
What? Huh?

How, why is this a topic?

The ATS downward spiral continues....

+39 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

#BlackOlivesMatter

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Oberlin College did it first!

My favorite was the black students mad they weren't getting enough fried chicken.

Earlier this month, students with the school’s black student union protested outside of the dining hall at the Afrikan Heritage House, after demands for more traditional meals, including more fried chicken, went unmet, according to the campus paper, The Oberlin Review.

Every time some hapless group has fried chicken as a cultural meal during Black History Month they are vilified for racism, but here is proof they are right.

Another article, published by The Review in November, detailed what students said were instances of cultural appropriation carried out by Bon Appétit. The culinary culprits included a soggy, pulled-pork-and-coleslaw sandwich that tried to pass itself off as a traditional Vietnamese banh mi sandwich; a Chinese General Tso’s chicken dish made with steamed instead of fried poultry; and some poorly prepared Japanese sushi.

“When you’re cooking a country’s dish for other people, including ones who have never tried the original dish before, you’re also representing the meaning of the dish as well as its culture,” Tomoyo Joshi, a student from Japan, told the paper. “So if people not from that heritage take food, modify it and serve it as ‘authentic,’ it is appropriative.”

People just need to chill out.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Wow. So if I were to post a picture of me eating some sushi with chopsticks would I be racist? Lol Seems to me that people are running out of things to complain about.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

#BlackOlivesMatter

Trump has proclaimed March as Irish-American Heritage month.

so it's #greenolivesmattermore

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Can't see the irony to how abused the "your a racist card" that has been a staple since Bill Clinton's admin has become?

Now it has been reduced to to call food stylists racist for adorning food with chop sticks.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

That depends on any microaggressions that you throw out while dinning on a protected food.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Ya I can see it.

But do we need to?

These kind of topics need to go away.

Enough micro-aggression topics.

Your considered, or it's considered racist if___________.

Trump this.
Trump that.

And P.S
No disrespect to the OP.
Just tired of seeing ATS become a shell of it's former self.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Fairly irrelevant compared to the manner in which some other cultures advertise.

Do Not Click If You Are Easily Offended.

N.B. Myselfaswell does not condone the use of overtly racist images.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I don't get it, Asians use chopsticks.....

Is putting a fork next to a plate of spaghetti also racist?

edit on 2-3-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Honestly, anything outside of the "Trump this, Trump that" category is a bonus for me.
edit on 2-3-2017 by PageLC14 because: Made an oopsies

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Microaggressions? Protected? Man, I never realized these things applied to foods! Lol

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Depends on what the gatekeepers of what racism is and isn't say. I guess we will have to wait with baited breath.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This is nothing new. There has always been a schism between those that are food "traditionalists" and the rest of the culinary community that usually embraces new, innovative fusions.

It's not racist in any shape or form. It's more about style, letting chefs give their own twist to traditional dishes and trying to appeal to a certain market with specific visuals/tastes.

For example, the Jamaican stew mentioned in the article traditionally may not have mango in it, but the chef may have used the Jamaican stew as a "base" to create his/her own version...which includes mango.

The point is to enjoy the food, or don't. Leave the "politics" out of it.

edit on 2-3-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

Ya, I can't believe this got past the mods. DaCook actually really cooks. Do everything from sushi to soul food, and a whole bunch in between. Exactly, what is the problem here?

Denny

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
'cultural appropriation'

If there ever was a 'snowflake' term!
No one can make and eat fried chicken but blacks?
Then no one can eat filet mignon and caviar but whites!
Right?
What devolved, mindless idiocy!
Anyone can cook or dress or accessorize however they like!
If it bothers some 'delicate doily', tough titties, grow some skin! *__-

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DaCook

Exactly, what is the problem here?

People need a reason to be outraged so they can believe they are better people while making sure everyone sees them doing it.
People also have too much time on their hands so a 1st world problem engulfs their lives fairly easily.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I lived in South Korea when I was a kid for a while, I practically mastered the chopsticks as soon as I hopped off the plane.
In the 20+ years since we left, I've eaten damn near EVERYTHING with chopsticks, save for soups, for which I have a Chinese soup spoon my Chinese immigrant stepmother gave me. I don't much care for eating with western silverware, I prefer the control and slowness of my 'sticks & the physical feel and weight of my spoon.

I'd tell the asshats to suck something, but I don't have that, so they can kiss my lily white Asian eating utensil appropriating ass instead.

edit on 3/2/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

Putting chopsticks upright in a bowl of rice is basically done for the dead.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join