It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This beauty queen was the face of a fake news website. She says she had no idea.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This beauty queen was the face of a fake news website. She says she had no idea.

So let's talk about what REAL fake news organizations do. So apparently, the Conservative Daily Review found this beauty queen's picture and through using Facebook, turned her into a prominent blogger of extremist (and fake) right wing news stories.

The Conservative Daily Post has a simple business model, according to court documents: use blood-boiling stories to channel hyperpartisan outrage into wads of advertising cash.

At the top of the funnel was the popular Facebook profile of pundit Laura Hunter, a Barack Obama-hating, Donald Trump-trumpeting activist blogger with a beauty queen’s face and close to a million followers.

She churned out posts at a dizzying clip, sometimes twice an hour — bogus stories about the FBI’s investigation into Hillary Clinton’s email server, or Bill Clinton’s involvement in an illicit sex ring. She frequently pointed out just how distrustful the American mainstream media was.

The stories — all of which happened to be articles from the Conservative Daily Post — were mostly untrue, a lawsuit says. But they apparently seemed plausible to their target audience of conservative readers, who widely shared many of the stories Hunter posted.

The real Laura Hunter is a Washington state resident who won the Ms. World pageant in 2016. The television actress and model has owned a photography business for 20 years, according to the site.

She’s also politically left of center, her attorney says — not the conservative Tennessee pundit that the Conservative Daily Post claimed.

She came face-to-face with her Internet alter ego in October after an email from a man named Michael Powell, according to the lawsuit. Powell said he ran an advertising agency in Las Vegas and had a client who wanted to use Hunter’s head shot “from a few years ago.”

But he dodged Hunter’s efforts to talk by phone, according to court documents. In another email, he asked her to send more head shots, ostensibly so he could persuade his “client” to use them.

Worried by the confusing conversations, Hunter Googled herself.

The top return linked to the conservative activist’s page on Facebook.

That’s when Hunter says she realized Powell had “turned her persona into a highly rated spokesperson for a right wing political website called the Conservative Daily Review.”

This is some shady # right here. I hope this "news" site gets shut down immediately and sued into oblivion. Identify theft is a serious crime and is totally NOT fake news.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

it amazes me that a tail denouncing a clickbait fake news site - uses a clickbait headline .

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

How is the title clickbait? It's all true and not sensationalized. What do you think it should have said?

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Edit: Ms. World and Miss world are two different organizations my bad OP, hope you understand my confusion.
edit on 2-3-2017 by Jdubious because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-3-2017 by Jdubious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

You would be surprised how often this happens. Put a pretty face on something, often times female, and turn them into ideologues writing about whatever (ultra conservative stories are common) behind a team of ghost writers.

The most common example I can think of is pundits who write books.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
She got Betty Davis eyes.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Except she's Ms. World 2016, not Miss World 2016.

Ms. World is an entirely separate pageant system for women over 26.

What's shady is the lack of #s given about doing an ounce of fact checking that seems to becoming rather prominent on ATS.

It's Ms. not Miss

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Check my edit, my apologies but I was trying to fact check and got it wrong.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

You would be surprised how often this happens. Put a pretty face on something, often times female, and turn them into ideologues writing about whatever (ultra conservative stories are common) behind a team of ghost writers.

It's a disgusting practice and could potentially ruin someone's life.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

A story by the Washington Post, which picked up on a tweet from Salon... LOL

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Aazadan

It's a disgusting practice and could potentially ruin someone's life.

And suddenly you care about ruining a life? Tons of women came out and claimed Trump sexually touched them and without a single fact check, everyone was ready to ruin his life over it. Then after Trump won, those women became useless to democrats and we never heard another peep. On top of that, the NYT interviewed a lot of his ex GFs to get negative stories and got nothing, so they lied about what the girls said. I don't recall you dismissing that. Does it only count to you if it reflects in favor of your agenda?

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I'm glad to see that she's following through with court proceedings--this type of crap is just one ingredient in the demise that we are seeing with modern "journalism."

I hope that she takes them for everything that they have, honestly. I have low tolerance for this type of shady crap.

BTW, you used the title of the story in your thread title, per ATS guidelines--it's a crappy title, but not yours.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Jdubious

I'm still confused:
Miss World 2016 is Stephanie Del Valle from Puerto Rico!

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Jdubious

I'm still confused:
Miss World 2016 is Stephanie Del Valle from Puerto Rico!

She's not Miss World, that's a different pageant.

Ms World is for women over 26 and is a seperate one.
www.msworldpageant.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Thanks. I was trying to find the link for that and I couldn't locate it myself.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

He posted the exact same link I posted nearly four hours ago so you must not have looked that hard.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
Gah!

I tried looking on google and didn't think to search my own thread.

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Wet the bed on my fact check, if you search Ms. World on google all you get is Miss world (which is different from Ms. World and MS world which is a multiple sclerosis website. Again sorry for the confusion that was not my intent.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join