It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on Mars? Think Again: NASA

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whynotman
I would call that Karma

....??.... karma? For who and for what?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It's all about probabilities, and nowhere in the source article does it analyze the data. It just says the probability is "high." What exactly does that mean? As has been stated, our probes have never been hit. What are the chances a single colony could be hit? If Mars were actually inhabited at the same density as Earth, the maybe, but it is probably not worth worrying about. Much ado about nothing.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You are right, sometimes the only way to go is underground.. just like our ancestors.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
So, like, I am absolutely exhausted after a long day at work, so my question may be stupid, but.... is there any hypothetical way we could make the atmosphere thicker with time?

Sensible question, It seems there are different ways, here's one, or at least part of,

Importing hydrocarbons,
Another way to create a Martian atmosphere would be to import methane or other hydrocarbons which are common in Titan's atmosphere and on its surface; the methane could be vented into the atmosphere where it would act to compound the greenhouse effect.
Perhaps a lot of Moo Moo's AKA farter carters, would also help. Biggest problem would be containing the warmed up atmosphere.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 22-2-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: Box of Rain
We still send humans to live in the orbital space station, and the space station is just as likely to be hit with a micrometeor or larger piece of rock, considering it is located above the protection of the atmosphere.

An object the size of a baked bean can, would be totally devastating for the ISS, as anything hitting it would be travelling at the speed of a bullet, around 17,000 MPH.

The impact at that speed would rip right through it, damaging all life preservation on board.

All true.

However, my point is that we don't view that possibility as a "show stopper" in trying to live beyond our atmosphere. The threat exists, yet we press on.

It seems pretty obvious that the same threat goes for Mars, so I'm not sure why this was brought up in the context that it was, a context that implied the possibility of an impact will somehow prohibit or be a tremendous impediment to the idea of a successful Mars base or Mars colony.

edit on 2017/2/22 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Massive umbrellas!

...Or just live under the surface...

...or bullet proof glass domes...

I mean seriously, the International Space Station doesn't have an atmosphere but people still live on it.

You can't seriously be telling me that the NASA has only just noticed that the atmosphere of Mars is thinner than that of Earth?

When the first British people colonised America, they forgot to take food and ended up eating poo. There wasn't much of an atmosphere at those dinner parties I should imagine.

There are going to be challenges posed by living on a different planet by virtue of the fact that it is a different planet. The alternative is that we give up on everything and wait for extinction.

This is a bit of a non-story in my opinion.
edit on 22-2-2017 by Inc_9x because: Spelling mistake

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

OK. Let's dig.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Was it Clifford Stone who said there was oxygen on mars and you could live normally, I remember vaguely a so called whistleblower saying this that the atmosphere on mars was the same as here on planet earth

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
More fake news, dare I say. The real news from NASA is that impacts on Mars happen more often than previously thought. That's it. MSM sources then take it up and add a touch of sensationalism, putting words into NASA's mouth in order to grab people's attention.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: theruthlessone
Was it Clifford Stone who said there was oxygen on mars and you could live normally, I remember vaguely a so called whistleblower saying this that the atmosphere on mars was the same as here on planet earth

Uh huh. And John Lear says the moon has an atmosphere and that people live there, on Jupiter, and Saturn. It was Basiago that said mars has a normal atmosphere, and also that it is inhabited by Sasquatch. He was taken there when he was ten years old, just before or after he time traveled back to the 1860s and listened to the Gettysburg address.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
So, like, I am absolutely exhausted after a long day at work, so my question may be stupid, but.... is there any hypothetical way we could make the atmosphere thicker with time?

Yes there is . See Professor Carl Sagan's theories on colonizing Mars in a decade
All it takes is seeding with moss and lichens
Peace

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

That's right ,how will they answer that question?
They see it coming that Elon will be there first discovering that they've been there all along.

Even duststorms seem to have no effect on the rover who's still driving.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I feel the same fear for all of our astronauts on the ISS, and other space missions. Not only are there millions of rocks flying past, but thousands of man-made objects circling the Earth a high speed.

IMO, the odds of having one of our craft obliterated in space, is greater than a colony on Mars being wiped out. What does everyone else think?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Every time I watch something about future projects on mars terraforming always crops up, terraforming would help create an atmosphere like earths meaning incoming projectiles would burn up like they do here

BUT this would take a long time for mars to build a thick enough atmosphere to save lives, it wont happen in ours or our children's life times but future mars dwellers wont be forced to live underground like we would now

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

LOL the moon is full of craters, didn't stop them from landing there did it? Or maybe....

NASA has found out that a human colony on Mars could be wiped out in minutes!

the minutes turned to hours and they came safely back - or maybe they never went to the moon?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Ive said it before, find somewhere underground, cave system.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yes, they did not set up shop and live on the moon. No lunar colony.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join