It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harrison Ford -- Video of Taxiway Landing | TMZ

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
I made him a beet salad when I worked at ABC Kitchen in NYC.

I can't beet that story

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Big airports are confusing as hell, and yes sometimes taxiways are more "bright painted" than runways, some years back in El Paso, ground control gave me clearance to cross a runway and I saw a jetliner on my right taking off....WTF?
edit on 22-2-2017 by manuelram16 because: spell

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The FAA is coming for him.

He'll have to beet a hasty retreat.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Surely this is to be expected of a pilot who comes out of hyperspace in the middle of an asteroid field?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
At one of the nearby fields a couple years ago, a guy I know was just about to enter a taxiway when the ground guy told him to hold up. Some dolt apparently lined up on the taxiway and there was no convincing him not to land. He landed--with the gear up--and came to a scraping halt in front of the poor guy holding short. Makes Harrison's little move look pretty innocent.

This kind of thing happens a lot. This just got publicity because, well, he's famous. He'll probably be prescribed remedial training with a certified flight instructor, both ground and flight training is most likely. The FAA is more focused on helping improve pilots and safety then cutting them down and slapping suspensions and revocations these days, and it is a much more constructive approach.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

These jokes are so bad I think Mr. Ford and I should make a hasty rebeet before this thread revolts.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: grey580

Probably not much. It's happened a LOT more than you think.

I'm quite surprised how often it happens, in the examples you listed, they are major airports that would have PAPI Lights?
I use them religiously in simulation to verify my rate of descent and position of where I need to be, plus using the HSI for glide slope.
edit on 22-2-2017 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2017 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Ford is senile and should have his pilot's license taken, before he causes a major catastrophe.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Yeah, they all had PAPI lights. Those are just a few of the ones that landed on the taxiway. That's not even touching the ones that managed to land at the entire wrong airport.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

So should we yank the license of everyone that's ever done this? It really wasn't as big a deal as it's being made out to be.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
I made him a beet salad when I worked at ABC Kitchen in NYC.

I can't beet that story

Lettuce hope the salad was done correctly.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

a reply to: jacobe001

Yeah, they all had PAPI lights. Those are just a few of the ones that landed on the taxiway. That's not even touching the ones that managed to land at the entire wrong airport.

That always surprises me. There's an airport in Jackson MS that was once 'the' airport, but it was eventually relegated to small planes and short runway military use only and another was built outside of town (right in the middle of the worst area EVAR for gusty crosswinds 24/7).

Every few years, some Delta partner will drop a jet into Hawkins Field, and they have to strip the thing out, put in just enough fuel to make JAN, and take off with a minimal specialty crew.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

My favorite was the Dreamlifter that landed at the wrong airport thinking it was the military base it was looking for. They almost didn't make it out.

(post by UnBreakable removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

a reply to: Bedlam

My favorite was the Dreamlifter that landed at the wrong airport thinking it was the military base it was looking for. They almost didn't make it out.

I think JAN is about the only airport that I've had a commercial pilot do a TOGO on. The last time, it was a clear day and we had to make something like three approaches when the gusty crosswinds started tipping the wing over the first two times.

Once, long ago, was coming into Birmingham, AL on a commercial flight, and the guy started doing a pretty normal approach, except I didn't recall the airport being THERE, where we were coming down. The guy sitting next to me was a private pilot who started yelling at the cabin crew 'wrong airport! wrong airport!' and the pilot pulled it out. Was never sure which strip he was homing in on.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
From a recent crash here in Australia..
Airports

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Darn!, had to check what is a PAPI light! just another term for VASI....

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
One would normally think the FAA is out to help pilots but after the whole deal with Bob Hoover it seems they still like to do some boneheaded stuff. Because it was in the news and others weren't, I wouldn't put it past them to suspend his license for a while at least.

Zaph, they may have landed at the wrong airport but that is OK since the landed on the runway. Alright, there doesn't seem to be a sarcasm tag on this board.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Flipper35

My personal favorite:

Delta A320 lands at Ellsworth.

"Daddy, when did Delta start flying B-1s?"

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I live close to London Gatwick,which in case you don't know is the worlds busiest single runway airport.It used to have just the normal runway 08/26 with taxiway one parallel to it.But it got 'Harrisoned' a few times so they painted threshold markings on it and redesignated it 08L/26R with the main runway becoming 08R/26L.
So strictly speaking it's not single runway any more,and planes land on the taxiway all the time.They have of course made a new parallel taxiway,I wonder how long before this one gets 'Harrisoned'?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join