It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Derailing ATS - do we know too much?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
In this this post the user 'mysterioustranger' wrote something that somehow rang a bell here:

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: ForteanOrg
Unfortunately, one thing I've noticed is that lately even new threads that are non-political seem to be routinely dragged there by the trolls until the thread is unreadable and so off-topic that people don't post there on the original subject any longer. A good portion of those threads just die and fade into obscurity. I guess that was the intent of the trolling after all. That effect alone will dissuade some people from even posting to start with.

I have seen a number of somewhat strange events happening over here that all seem to point towards an intentional effort to derail ATS.

It all started - for me at least - when we changed to the new site identity. Somehow the new identity distracted from the news, it was ugly (sorry folks, that's my opinion) and the site wasn't half as informative (to me) as it was. Oh, well, after a while you get accustomed to it, I guess. I did.

A while later the management of these virtual premises started to demand that we all would switch our ad blockers off. Protesters were hushed, or banned, or punished by disallowing them to upload pictures. This is of course not the way any intelligent person wants to be dealt with - and ATS is (was?) mostly frequented by folks that have a brain and like to use it. Simply demanding something because it makes you money does not work. Well, some left, some were banned, some simply wrote a few browserside scripts to get rid of the junk that others less fortunate have to suffer from. Hush. Bygones, water under bridges, on with the show.

Then we saw the death of quite a few board members. Even today, our ATS logo is still disgraced by an ugly black stripe - meant to serve in honour of the dead, I know, but it strikes me as rather odd that we're mourning still. Yes, people die, yes, we remember them, but not for months and months in a row.

Than we had that strange episode that resulted in the leave of Honourable Isaac Koi. I was flabbergasted: one of our most appreciated members simply disappeared - was threatened and felt that his life was in danger. Really? For posting information on ATS?

Then the trolls entered. They post at least 10 OP's each day about topics that have NOTHING to do with what ATS is all about, not even denying ignorance. Actually, I've never seen ignorance being demonstrated in such an unbelievable way, mods can't even keep up it seems. As 'mysterioustranger' points out: it's even worse. If you try to write a decent, non-political post, the trolls immediately come around to pull it down. And there seem to be "member" with A LOT of time on their hands, as if they have business here. Perhaps they have?

Sure enough, it are mad times when it comes to American politics. But the vile tone and constant trolling by a number of posters here does indeed raise the question: are they here to "discuss" politics - or are they here to shut down ATS?

So, it's just circumstantial evidence. But what do you say, fellow ATS-ers - are we being rigged by TPTB to shut us down? Have we (perhaps Isaac Koi) struck a nerve, discovered something that we should not have - and perhaps, the best way to disgrace us was to hire a few guys to trump.. er.. trample on our threads?

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I'm sure some of Brock's correct the record tools are here no doubt. Surely others as well. I see it on all boards on all websites.

Why? Because the establishment is losing control of the narrative.

My camel laughs at them.
edit on 17-2-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

It's probably only half true because there really are trolls with no lives aswell.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
There was a time when I would say that was paranoid, unfounded, and the basis of a witch hunt; that we cannot and must not, with no real evidence, start seeing COINTEL ops or what have you in every post that seems to fall below a certain threshold of on topic discussion or holds a bias that simply conflicts with our own (since we all have them, obviously.)

But today... while I still absolutely hold to the "we should avoid witch hunts at all costs" attitude and never want to see any ATS member suspected of such... I think it would be naive on my part, in this era of avowed and widespread, big money AstroTurf tactics, to assume that somehow ATS is immune from it.

And I'm sure all sorts of different interest groups - from the left and right alike - employ them. It seems to just be part and parcel of the internet now, and that makes me sad. (Though, to be sure... a ton of it is also just ordinary every day human behavior and tendencies, too. Which... also makes me sad.)

Peace.
edit on 2/17/2017 by AceWombat04 because: Added parenthetical note.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

It's probably only half true because there really are trolls with no lives aswell.

Some posts indeed read as if some robot compiled them..

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I have no problems with what anyone is posting. Although I am not fond of ad hominem attacks because I believe they say more about the person making the attack than the target. I like all the new threads too. I think the political and off-topic forums are great.

In terms of original ATS type threads, there's only so much UFO and Sasquatch comments you can make. I imagine if extraterrestrials landed on the Whitehouse lawn the entire community would spend more time focusing on UFOs. Just wait until we find out the reason why Sasquatch hasn't been capture is because they ARE extraterrestrials!

edit on 17-2-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typos

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

I share the sentiment. Perhaps we should install a system in which people first need to proof they are able to create a meaningful thread before they are allowed to post?

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
You should really give credit to Subrosabelow instead of MS.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
There's not much we can do besides inform ourselves and wait it out though, right?

In a way, I'm glad I see the occasional thread like this, because it reminds me I'm not the only aware of how skewed our "free" internet has become. Then again, I don't have access to the super-duper secret ATS section (200 posts or smth) and I assume is different there.

Yet, for everyone who hasn't been into conspiracies the past 5-10 years orso and who ventures onto ATS (or reddit), this # must be extremely confusing. And that's pretty much the main squeeze from the establishment's playbook, disinformation. Not blaming ATS (owners) or reddit for this, as I don't know their situation, perhaps the Men In Black showed up on their doorstep kindly requesting them to take the measures they have.

All we can do is wait I guess...

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg
a reply to: AceWombat04

I share the sentiment. Perhaps we should install a system in which people first need to proof they are able to create a meaningful thread before they are allowed to post?

Not to take things off topic, but that's the same sort of logic that says we should force people to prove they are able to raise a child before breeding.

I don't know how you would go about making sure people know how to post before posting without massive censorship.

Go down that path and sooner or later it has to be either anything goes (4chan) or only what the mods say goes (Twitter)

This is why we have existing guidelines for threads... And if the existing rules were enforced we wouldn't need more.
Sound familiar?

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I'd love to know the story behind Isaac Koi, but I'm sure that info is somewhat sensitive.

I agree wholeheartedly. I originally came to this site in search of things that I feel the majority of other members were hungry for too. The real mysterious subjects that are just too damn interesting to ignore.

And the beauty of ATS was that even though there were conflicting viewpoints everywhere you looked, we more or less worked as a community to pool our resources and insights into a stimulating forum.

It's for that reason that I don't author any political threads anymore. If trolls are gonna stop by a thread on ancient Egypt or Edgar Cayce and try to pollute it, they'll just be easier to recognize.

edit on 17-2-2017 by AgarthaSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Oh it became quite the public affairs. Koi's last thread covers it in depth.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
I have no problems with what anyone is posting. Although I am not fond of ad hominem attacks because I believe they say more about the person making the attack than the target. I like all the new threads too. I think the political and off-topic forums are great.

Tell me about it, look what happened here (especially the second page) :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I imagine if extraterrestrials landed on the Whitehouse lawn the entire community would spend more time focusing on UFOs.

Nope, the hardliner debunkers would be on it like a shot...

Warmest

Lags
edit on 17-2-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Crap editing

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
ATS is suppose to be a place of intelligent discussions. Lately, there are people on this site who will throw the most vile vitriol at posters they do not agree with ... even outside of the political threads. For example some of the Mandela Effect or Afterlife threads where posters are humiliated and shot down just for their beliefs. I for one, would just explain my point of view that it "could" be false memories or whatever, but there is no need to simply throw insults at posters who believes in what they think they are experiencing. Express your points and let them express theirs. Listening to and debating (not insulting) differing views is what we use to do here on ATS.
edit on 17-2-2017 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

(post by Tristran removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Tristran

Lol I'm avatarless
But that in itself is my statement

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

Discussions on the boards appear the same as always, if not slightly better then years past, namely because of a few changes made by ownership.

Our posts don't get censored nearly as much as in the past by mods and as such you see a bit more # throwing. We can ask mods to increase moderation (which they don't have the staffing for) or we can grow thicker skin. We can't have it both ways.

As far as respect to the community is concerned ATS is still on a higher level than most boards. IMO.

edit on 17-2-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I am no particular Alex Jones fan, though I do visit his website from time to time.

He is right about one thing: there really is a war on for our minds. That is, the public perception IS manipulated by the powers that be.

IMO the internet and sites like ATS is the perfect place for those with a particular agenda to work. There are groups who use these places to advance an agenda.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Being here for almost 10 years, I have witnessed quite a change in ATS.
It's not the same old conspiracy site, that mush is certain.

There are many members here who seem to have nothing better to do than completely destroy any rhetoric that isn't fitting their narrative, and compiling thread after thread of biased political drivel. This is used to be a site that was all things conspiracies and now it just seems to be nothing but arguments about poli-ticks.

It's getting old.
I personally don't see how some posters here have the time to create so much.

There is a new hunch I have.
Maybe it's designed that way from the previous POTUS administration to purposefully derail any thoughts and commotion about conspiracies that may have been valid in the past. Almost releasing the flood gates to overpower any information with enough disinformation as to seemingly make the entire place a joke.

Funny thing is, there were a few threads on that very topic made long ago.
All vanished into obscurity.

Then there are the members here that have "clout"...beginning to join the politicks crowd.
SMH.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I agree that ATS still have something to offer. That is why I'm still here. Having a thick skin is not the problem I guess for people like us. However, we have to remember that we are all here to "discuss" and seek new "ideas" (at least I am), throwing insults and vitriol usually just devolves a thread and becomes counter productive to discussions. I do however understand your points and I guess we have to find a balance somewhere with ATS's current resources.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join