It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie Launches Bill to Abolish Federal Education Department

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It would seem there are quite a few who are getting a little (ok a lot) tired of the way the Education System has been purposely driven and taken over by a handful of people. How far it will spread amongst other States, will be a wait and see kind of thing.

I personally think it's a good thing!

Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) is introducing legislation that would abolish the federal education department. The bill, H.R.899, is only one sentence and states: “The Department of Education Shall Terminate on December 31, 2018.”

The congressman added:

Unelected bureaucrats in Washington, D.C. should not be in charge of our children’s intellectual and moral development.

States and local communities are best positioned to shape curricula that meet the needs of their students. Schools should be accountable.

Parents have the right to choose the most appropriate educational opportunity for their children, including home school, public school, or private school.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Chances this will be seen as an attack on things like Title IX?

I'd say pretty good, since the one line in that bill makes no provision for shifting responsibility for enforcing Title IX from DoE to somebody else.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I really hope this keeps moving.
The best thing we can do for the future of our country is get the Federal government out of educating our children.

As for Title IX, do we seriously still need that?
Our country has come far enough that if any state or local educational system refused to educate girls, people would not stand for it.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The Department of Education was formed in 1979. Our country did just fine before that - possibly better.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

Keep in mind, the Department of Uneducation has only existed since 1980.

And since then, test scores have plummeted and student debt has skyrocketed.

It doesnt add up, just do the math (while we still can).

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Seeing as some folks still think the only reason women's collegiate athletics isn't a bigger deal is because of discrimination, I think you can count on those folks having something to say about Title IX.

My argument is that women's basketball isn't as popular as men's because not many people want to watch a lay-up contest (I'm using hyperbole there) when the alternative is to watch dudes running full tilt and dunking on each other repeatedly. The counter to that argument is that the only reason I don't care about the lay-up contest is because of discrimination.

And I think it's safe to say "those people" aren't going to suddenly change their minds, when they haven't changed their minds in four decades of Title IX.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm sorry, but athletics are not the priority in education.
Athletics do have benefits for the welfare of kids, but I don't think it should be part of education.
And athletics are certainly no reason to keep the federal government in power over education.

(ETA: Of course physical education classes in schools are important.)

In my area we have many community sports teams, and that is where my kids got their athletic experience.
A few school teams as well - sure.
But the point is, communities can do this on their own.

As for colleges, if there is a demand for women in sports, and they want to attract students/consumers, then they will have to do what works for their success.

edit on 2/9/17 by BlueAjah because: eta

edit on 2/9/17 by BlueAjah because: eta

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Athletics tied to education isn't really my point at all.

My point is whether or not people will try to spin this in to an attack on civil rights, and I think we can absolutely count on that happening.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'm a teacher, and you have no idea how bad I and my fellow teachers want the Department of Education to go away. Local control of schools allows teachers to teach, and it holds us accountable. Right now, people talk a lot of smack about teachers, but much of what they say has to do with things that are out of our control. I want to give my students a proper education, but I have to be allowed to do it. Ridding ourselves of the DOE will not solve all of our problems, but it will be a very good start.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Please god, let this bill be passed. I'm on my 4th kid in public school, and it's definitely not getting better.
The fed has no damn buisness playing politics with my kids minds. All they have been doing is attempting to create political opinions in children through lies and manipulative lesson plans that have nothing to do with education.
English is not a requirement for high school graduation in the city I left behind.
How the hell is that unbiased? We had 3 schools just for non-English speaking kids....
I moved for a lot of reasons, this is one of my strongest.
Reading.
Arithmetic. (Math for you millennials)
Literature. (English for you millennials)
Science.
History.
Physical Ed.

All of it without a damn phone or computer!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Here is to hoping...

but I foresee the Teachers unions whipping the news media into an anti-children frenzy, that will doom it.

I have no problem with a union for teachers... but when they make it impossible to fire bad teachers, or even teachers convicted of crimes... they need to go.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Here is to hoping...

but I foresee the Teachers unions whipping the news media into an anti-children frenzy, that will doom it.

I have no problem with a union for teachers... but when they make it impossible to fire bad teachers, or even teachers convicted of crimes... they need to go.

Nah.

When they start to whine just tell them it will put Betsy DeVos out of a job. That ought to make them shut up and at least think for a while.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I laughed way to hard at that thanks..

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

The DOE was created by GHW Bush, under the guise o Reagan actually being president, for the sole purpose of miseducating our children. Charlotte Iserbyte, one of the first people in the department, ran in horror from what she saw. She claims collusion with the Soviets to create a more easily controlled society.

While you can argue with her sensationalism and style, you cannot argue with her facts. I lived through it, and can see it all so clearly.

The goal was to siphon off the extremely intelligent into a government program, and then miseducate the rest. Mostly be forcing rote memorization and testing as a standard, and not teaching logic and thinking. The "good student" of this day was praised for their docile nature. Not their incredible insight or curiosity.

How many of us felt the crushing burden of not being docile in class?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Nice!! I hope it passes. The federal government was never meant to control education. As it is now, it's propaganda, more than anything else!!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

I'm sorry, but athletics are not the priority in education.
Athletics do have benefits for the welfare of kids, but I don't think it should be part of education.
And athletics are certainly no reason to keep the federal government in power over education.

(ETA: Of course physical education classes in schools are important.)

I was literally just having this conversation with the hubby earlier this evening!! Great minds! Agreed; as I said to him, PE is one thing, and sports are another! At best, they should be extracurricular activities. PE is about fitness, not sports.

In my area we have many community sports teams, and that is where my kids got their athletic experience.
A few school teams as well - sure.
But the point is, communities can do this on their own.

As for colleges, if there is a demand for women in sports, and they want to attract students/consumers, then they will have to do what works for their success.

Agreed!! Sports are overrated as far as I am concerned. Mine have literally NO interest. One tried baseball, but didnt' care for it. Sports, these days, are treated more like something sacred.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Yeah because leaving it to the states has worked so wonderful in the past.

Can't wait for my niece to have Jesus in her science books here in Texas

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Shamrock6 - It may yes, but the birthing process always hurts.

BlueAjah - I hope it keeps moving as well, as you said, prior to 1979 these problems even 2/5ths of what they are now. Kids could still read, write, calculate in their heads,and comprehension was attainable.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Your backwards mind really amazes me, seriously? That's what you think? Oh waaaa!

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterMcKill
I'm a teacher, and you have no idea how bad I and my fellow teachers want the Department of Education to go away. Local control of schools allows teachers to teach, and it holds us accountable. Right now, people talk a lot of smack about teachers, but much of what they say has to do with things that are out of our control. I want to give my students a proper education, but I have to be allowed to do it. Ridding ourselves of the DOE will not solve all of our problems, but it will be a very good start.

I'm glad you came onto the thread and made a statement about this. I wish more Teachers would. People need to hear this non stop until people's clouded minds clear and they begin to 'hear' what's being said from those who live in this world on a daily basis rather than what the MSM tries to cover up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join