It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow, Here is a good example of stupid: Ex-convict commuted by Obama arrested on drug charge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
You get a 2nd chance from a life sentence and less than 2 years later you are back in prison for the rest of your life. You would think that someone who took the time to learn law and petitioned the President of the United States for leniency would at least stay clean and enjoy the golden years left.

www.kristv.com...

SAN ANTONIO -
A 68-year-old San Antonio man whose life prison sentence was commuted by President Barack Obama is back in jail after authorities say he crashed his car into another vehicle while fleeing from officers following a drug deal.

A federal magistrate judge on Friday ordered Robert Gill held without bail pending a hearing later this month.

Gill was arrested in 1990 and sentenced to life for coc aine and heroin distribution conspiracy. While in prison, he studied law and petitioned the president for a second chance. Obama commuted Gill's sentence in 2015. The San Antonio Express-News reports he'd been working as a paralegal at a San Antonio law firm.

He's now charged with possession with intent to distribute 500 grams or more of coc aine.

edit on 5-2-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Where's the food?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Not just a food example, the fest example.

Seriously though, back to the chow line with this guy. Some people never learn.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Not a fan of undoing sentencing set by the courts. Sometimes ... but, not a fan

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Where's the food?

Ooops... fixed it.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Not a fan of undoing sentencing set by the courts. Sometimes ... but, not a fan

I am a fan when a wrong is clearly seen, but in this case he was right to go to jail and right the second time to go to jail....not a good choice either way for the President to make.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Sometimes people are exactly where they deserve to be...in jail.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I strongly suspect this is the first of many of Obama's pardons that will go south.

Obama showed the same poor judgment with Guantanamo releases, with released detainees going on to murder more innocent people.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I am one to favor second chances for many..most even, but you gotta do a bit of research, perhaps get some talking in with the person to see if they are still of a criminal mindset. I wont guess this guys views at the time, but I suspect there was enough to clue in that his views of the quick $ didn't change much (clearly it didnt).

Sucks that this guy chose a..miracle really to throw it away. Perhaps he felt there was no way to survive, was institutionalized, who knows, but obviously this is a fallen through the cracks situation.

Its one thing to give a person their freedom, but if they have no way up, then they will most likely just revert to get money quickly by any means necessary mindset..and that means crime.

Could envoke a halfway house requirement for a few years from long term imprisoned to transition to the outside world..some solutions should be considered.

(yeah, I know this is meant to be a "stupid Obama" thread, but I felt like addressing the meat of the subject instead of just a silly bash thread)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

This reminds me of a relative of mine. Her son had been a known (by the family) thief since he was a young teen. When he was finally caught by the police breaking into cars and outbuilding in the neighborhood, she said that he'd just fallen in with a bad crowd. His speech to the judge was a good one, full of remorse and even outlining plans to "do better" in the future. She paid a lawyer a lot of money, (mortgaged her house to do so) to get him let loose. She filled her Facebook pages (I'm fold by those who do FB) with how sorry he was, how he was going to make something of himself now that he'd had some time to think about things in jail.

In reality what he'd learned in jail was the right things to say to a judge to get the judge to let him out on probation. It worked like a charm.

Fast forward two months and the police appear at her door again. They've got video of him stealing giant screen tvs from WalMart and evidence that he's been breaking into cars and homes in his own neighborhood again. They ask to search her garage and she's so sure that her baby is clean that she gives permission. They find guns, tools and electronic equipment stolen in the neighborhood right there behind some boxes.

This time the excuse is "Well, he got into a bad crowd and started doing heroin so he really didn't know what he was doing when he was stealing all that stuff. Strangely enough, even though he claimed to be addicted to heroin, he never suffered any withdrawal symptoms in jail.

Fortunately for her neighborhood (and members of the family from which he'd been stealing), the judge didn't buy the excuses this time so he's spending the next eight years in a prison. Thank goodness. Now we can have a Christmas party without having to lock away any meds that might appeal to him (there's pretty good evidence that he stole his 90 year-old grandfather's pain meds) or any electronic device or jewelry that he could pocket.

Bottom line, some people aren't meant to be in civil society. That's why we build jails.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Life for selling coc aine... bit harsh like not as if he's killed anyone.....

Justice.. sell a product a customer wants life in jail.... become a peadophille never do time

the world is mad

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Pay attention to this people.

The president has the authority to commute sentences.

But another doesn't have the authority to make an EO.

Interesting.

All I can say is O sure knows how to pick em.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

almost instant karma:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This reminds me of the thug kid who was denied a life saving heart surgery, because the doctors refused to give him a new heart, given his criminal in and out of jail history. Well the family and MSM screamed racism, so the doctors did the transplant to save their own asses, and less than a few months later the "teen" was killed when he crashed his stolen car while running from the Police.

Some poor person who lived an honest life had to die because the heart was given to a thug instead.
edit on 5-2-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
dbl post

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Usually when this happens the ready excuse is that society never gave him a chance because he was an ex-con, so he couldn't get a job. It's good to see that in this case, he was gainfully employed, so there was no good excuse for this.

He fully earned his just desserts here.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Guys been in jail for 27 years, I'm sure he'll know the ropes. Probably institutionalised anyway.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

But another doesn't have the authority to make an EO.

Ridiculous. Trump made 18 EO's so far, and only 1 is being challenged.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Drop me out.. like we didn't see this happening.. No doubt we'll see more 'Obama's Free-birds' re-offending as well... *sigh*...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join