It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does compassion make us weak?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I'm sure many of the spiritually-attuned readers of this thread will be rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. But before you flame me or label me as a sociopath, please first at least consider what I am asking.

I am not saying compassion is undesirable or that it should be suppressed. I am simply asking if compassion stifles our ability to utilise our true strength and achieve greatness.

The thing about compassion is that it cannot exist without suffering of some sort. Think about that for a moment. You cannot feel compassion within yourself unless some other external entity is suffering. How can so many people believe that compassion is inherently good/beneficial when this is the case? Consider this before praying for more compassion in today's world; the more compassion there is, the higher the degree of suffering there will need to be to meet the demand.

Prosperity, peace and security (which it seems the vast majority of people — and probably all other creatures — desire) for all will not be the result if compassion is held as the most important virtue.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

No , compassion doesn't make us weak compassion makes us Human.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   

interesting...it would be appear that too much compassion may render one to meekness and satisfied that they are altruistic allowing no room for growth based on strength. I like your reasoning. Being as I am lazy I took the easy way out

bigthink.com...

#1. You probably have a soft spot for the wrong people
#2. You miss the forest for the trees
#3. You are more likely to develop unhealthy relationships (especially if you’re a woman)
#4. Empathy is emotionally exhausting (but compassion is not)
#5. People in pain don’t want you to feel their pain; they want you to be there for them

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Daniel 9:26; "After this period of sixty-two sets of seven, the Anointed One will be killed, appearing to have accomplished nothing, and a ruler will arise whose armies will destroy the city and the Temple. The end will come with a flood, and war and its miseries are decreed from that time to the very end.

That is what you are trying to get at. Is Christ weak?

Don't expect the world to do you ANY favours if you are gentle and compassionate. It will metaphorically crucify you at every turn. Is it weak to know this and yet still strive to maintain compassion? I believe it to be ultimate endurance and spiritual strength.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

No , compassion doesn't make us weak compassion makes us Human.

It shows us our humane-ness to other humans - an act can never make you human.
Its like saying a mass murderer of children is inhuman. Why do we then punish them, if they're not human, with the death penalty?
You are human irrespective or your acts. Compassion is a great trait.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
It depends. Not only can compassion vary in prominence within an individuals mind, but there are endless other factors to consider.

To what degree does one allow compassion to dictate their decisions?

I feel that The way in which one feels and directs compassion decides whether it is indicative of weakness or strength.

If a man has such overwhelming compassion for his family that he refuses to leave their side because he can't handle the separation, even if it is something that'll ultimately benefit the family such as a month away at work. (I may be confusing compassion with love there) In that case, the mans compassion is his weakness.

A simpler scenario would be a man who feels such compassion for humanity, he accomplishes nothing because every action probably negatively effects somebody in some way. If someone was consumed with that possibility they may never get anything done.

What if a housewife whom enjoys not working steps up, out of her comfort zone, and takes on a miserable job because her husband can't work because he is battling a crisis like addiction or depression? In that case her compassion would be strength.

Just some ideas, and why I think there are too many variables to definitively answer this one.

Thought provoking OP, S&F.

edit on 3-2-2017 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2017 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

why would you get baited or bait us into a religious discussion? You cannot think of compassion without the filter of religion?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

I agree with your thinking, however wouldn't the following be better described as loyalty or duty rather than compassion?

overwhelming compassion for his family that he refuses to leave their side because he can't handle the separation, even if it is something that'll ultimately benefit the family such as a month away at work

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Compassion isn't an act it's a feeling , it's ingrained within us and is part of our psyche , I believe it part of what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Compassion, expressing it, showing it, does not make us weak.

It exposes us to risk. The strength in compassion comes from expressing it anyway, despite the fact that it can leave one open to assault and abuse. Those who are strong would rather be compassionate and at risk, than be cold and protected, because unlike those who are weak, they can endure whatever assault might befall them, prefer that possibility than the possibility that they might watch a person collapse before them, and lift not a finger to their aid.

Those who are weak, however, put on an iron face when shown others hardships, because they know they lack the fortitude to survive if their compassion were misplaced somehow, and so rather than expose themselves in strength, they shy away pathetically.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Actually, it's the total opposite. Compassion is a strong trait. Let's say your child breaks a limb at school, and her classmates and teacher rushes to her aid, how in any way shape or form does that make her classmates and teacher "weak?" Coming together to help someone in need is a very STRONG trait. Also, compassion is what drives firefighters to rush into burning buildings and rescue people. That is a sign of bravery, NOT weakness.
edit on 3-2-2017 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Compassion makes you Human.

Lack of it makes you a Psychopath.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Sure its a strong feeling that allows you to act in a compassionate way. You used the words "makes us", hence I used the word act. Do you not think animals are saddened when their offspring are killed? Our remaining dog went on a downer for a few days when we had to euthanase our other dog

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Whatever Dark Ghost is having tonight, people,please make sure I don't get any. Are the bottles labeled with a sticker or something?

edit on 3-2-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: GoShredAK

I agree with your thinking, however wouldn't the following be better described as loyalty or duty rather than compassion?

overwhelming compassion for his family that he refuses to leave their side because he can't handle the separation, even if it is something that'll ultimately benefit the family such as a month away at work

More like infatuation, or obsession, or.........I am at a loss for a better term, but yes I would agree compassion is not it.

Not loyalty because on the surface that scenario would seem loyal, but is really self serving.

That would be assuming the decision to stay home was the husbands because he was afraid to deal with the emotions and thoughts that will arise as a result of being separated from his family.

Rather than staying because your family is begging you to stay.

Not duty because unless a mans presence is required for some reason, like protection. It is his duty to provide no matter how hard it may be. In my hypothetical scenario the man is shirking his duty.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Some animals do display traits we perceive as compassion , whether it's the compassion we feel or self interest is unknown as we cant communicate with then to ask.

I've seen video of animals such as elephants who seem to show compassion for their friends and family , perhaps it is a trait shared by higher level intelligent creatures.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   

From my point of view compassion does make us weak. I, and I speak for my partner too, are tired of showing compassion. 30 to 40 years of showing compassion has cost us physically, mentally and, in terms of assets made us broke.

Stupid mental people leeched us with their stories of hard luck until we hit the wall. "YOU" you smart arse complainers and whingers need to invite these people into your home. Let them suck the life blood from you and your family while you think....I am doing the right thing.

When your daughter is raped consider how YOU feel about your stupid, stupid goodwill. It doesn't work stupid happy tree hugging freaks.

I challenge you, effniks" lovers to stop protesting, show compassion and take control in a family of, "ME WANTING COMPASSION until their views destroy you.

Showing comnpassion//////sucks.
Poor bugger me,

Stupid stupid people. There are others that are smarter than you who do nothing,,absolutely nothing and will use your feelings of tree hugging empathy to paste you to a wall. Yes, a tick to them.

bally

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Not sure if your post is satire or not...but anyway, at least you provided reasoning for your views. Something few others have done so far in this thread.

Instead I got the usual "compassion is actually strength", "you are probably a cold, weak person" and the circular logic of compassion being good because we have been programmed to think that it is.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
Whatever Dark Ghost is having tonight, people,please make sure I don't get any. Are the bottles labeled with a sticker or something?

ETA: On second thought, not taking the bait...

edit on 3/2/2017 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Thank you sir, madam for your reply. I am certainly not a weak person. 40 years plus seeing the worse that people have to offer.

Crap people don't deserve compassion. Sure, my weakness used to be I'd give an individual a chance. Once they stuffed us around and started leeching us then out on their arse. And I say to you sir/madam, compassion goes only so far. Don't call me weak because I've seen and dealt with stuff that would make any roady puke.

You don't know me. Don't call me weak else you call my whole family weak.

Weak are the ones you show compassion to and throw crap back towards you. Weaker are the ones that support these actions.

kind regards,

bally

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join