It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Bots Spamming Trump's FB Page with Praise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I am not a follower of the Trump page, but every now and then I'll go on there. Just to "see what he's saying now". Yes, I am part of the shock jock politics disease.

A funny thing I noticed this morning during my latest viewing of his string of spam. Multiple accounts posting the exact same words. Fake account bots repeating their scripts.

Numerous users posted: "I don't understand why people are so surprised about what Trump is doing. He's been telling you what he's gonna do for 18+ months. The only shock should be how quickly he's doing it. Imagine that... a president who actually does what he says he's gonna do."

Numerous users posted: Amazing seeing all the protest signs saying "Refugees welcome here." Why aren't there signs saying "Homeless Americans welcome here." or "Pregnant teens welcome here" or "Homeless vets welcome here" or "homeless teens welcome here". We want to be the world's babysitters but can't even take care of their own."

When you scroll through several different posts, these words pop up many times on many different accounts.

The only reason these two stuck out to me was because they were thumbtacked to the top of the posts due to the high number of likes. I am sure there are many more repeats, as well as many more single fake account posts saying exactly what "they" want us to read.

I've witnessed this a few times in my career. Fan pages creating fake accounts so they can get a higher number of likes and replies. The illusion of positive reviews. For some reason I thought our government would be above such social media tactics. I am sure they are deleting a large chunk of content too. Yikes.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: HerbertMountainDew

I must be a bot then

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I'm not a Twitterer, but isn't that how retweets work?

A Retweet is a re-posting of a Tweet. Twitter's Retweet feature helps you and others quickly share that Tweet with all of your followers. You can Retweet your own Tweets or Tweets from someone else.

edit on 1-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Trump has a lot of social media bots, all politicians do. It's a way of manufacturing consensus and creating the illusion of support for their policies. It's just another piece in the game.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

I'm not a Twitterer, but isn't that how retweets work?

A Retweet is a re-posting of a Tweet. Twitter's Retweet feature helps you and others quickly share that Tweet with all of your followers. You can Retweet your own Tweets or Tweets from someone else.

It's Facebook comments on posts. Not on Twitter.

link   

originally posted by: HerbertMountainDew
Numerous users posted: "I don't understand why people are so surprised about what Trump is doing. He's been telling you what he's gonna do for 18+ months. The only shock should be how quickly he's doing it. Imagine that... a president who actually does what he says he's gonna do."

I've seen those exact words here a few times already too.

Above Top Secretbot.......

link   

I will have to take your word for it as I don't trust Zuckerberg and refuse to open a FB account.

How would you know the source? It could be one person who wants his thoughts to be known and not have anything to do with the government. I am surprised that FB hasn't figured it out and closed accounts by now.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Trump has a lot of social media bots, all politicians do. It's a way of manufacturing consensus and creating the illusion of support for their policies. It's just another piece in the game.

Crazy. Mental manipulation at it's lowest form.

Funny thing. A lot of the names of the fake accounts are Hispanic or Middle Eastern sounding. There are countless comments in the past few days with similar rhetoric of "I am a Muslim and I love Trump".

The intended spectator response? "See. If they don't mind what he's doing, he can't be anti-Semitic!"

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Kinda like how the media creates the illusion of the "a significant" lack of support?
edit on 1-2-2017 by Shamrock6 because: apparently we're arguing semantics so I needed to clear that up

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

It's a way of manufacturing consensus and creating the illusion of support for their policies. .

Um, he just won the election dude. That's no illusion of support.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

as this is a conspiracy site - try this explaination :

trumps enemies - create fake " bots " to spam trumps page with pro trump propoganda - in such a blatant and obviouis way

it gives them something to whine about

people screaming " false flag " used to be all the rage hear - now the battlectry of the wingnut is " fake news "

i miss the " false flag " wingnuts

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Um, he just won the election dude. That's no illusion of support.

The election is irrelevant. It's a standard political trick, even if voter turnout was so low that there were only 3 voters total, someone would win. That doesn't mean they have broad support.

Turnout was horrible. For the year leading up to the election social media bots were all over the place making the candidates look more popular than they were.

Big social media numbers are a tool that can easily be manipulated to make someone look more popular than they are. Politicians love doing this, but some celebrities (is there a difference between the two anymore?) do it too.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

He's talking about posts on Facebook, not tweets on Twitter. Understanding that you don't use Twitter, I'll also add for future reference that retweets are clearly identifiable as retweets. The retweets have green retweet icons and the top and say "Blah Blah Retweeted." Nobody who uses Twitter would mistake them.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

as this is a conspiracy site - try this explaination :

trumps enemies - create fake " bots " to spam trumps page with pro trump propoganda - in such a blatant and obviouis way

it gives them something to whine about

people screaming " false flag " used to be all the rage hear - now the battlectry of the wingnut is " fake news "

i miss the " false flag " wingnuts

I long for another Jade Helm, if it means that the Trump is great/Trump is horrible threads would get reduced to one out of three instead of just about half of new topics

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Kinda like how the media creates the illusion of the complete lack of support?

Have they done such a thing?

We had the lowest voter turnout in 16 years for this election, despite the fact that it was likely the largest push to get people to go out and vote ever, thanks to the internet and social media which didn't exist in the past. If you go by how many actually went out and voted, Trump has a small, loyal, and loud fanbase but for the most part people are pretty ambivalent towards him.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Lots of anti-Trump bot activity on Trump's Twitter too.

Many negative comments get loads of hearts.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I seem to recall a fair chunk of the media reminding us daily that Trump's campaign was a joke and stood no chance to win. Pretty confident that's not a "Mandela Effect" type of thing.

I'm not sure how you can call 62 million and change a "small fanbase" but if it makes you feel better, okay. If you go by how many people actually went out and voted Trump has a fanbase just about the size of Clinton's, which is to say nearly half the votes, so I mean....okay?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This should be a concern about politics in general. Not another excuse to say "well, the other side does it too!" Like everything nowadays, blame shouldn't be placed on just one party. Both are guilty of being shady.

I pointed this out as another example of a psychological tactic taking advantage of the common unaware naive American mind. There is no code of ethics or ethics committee monitoring these people.

People are so quick to turn the conversation back into Trump vs Hillary. Red vs. Blue, type of thinking. I think it's all a big mind#, and it's scary.
edit on 1-2-2017 by HerbertMountainDew because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I seem to recall a fair chunk of the media reminding us daily that Trump's campaign was a joke and stood no chance to win. Pretty confident that's not a "Mandela Effect" type of thing.

I'm not sure how you can call 62 million and change a "small fanbase" but if it makes you feel better, okay. If you go by how many people actually went out and voted Trump has a fanbase just about the size of Clinton's, which is to say nearly half the votes, so I mean....okay?

What I remember the media saying, or rather what their sources said (mass media has never been great at communicating complicated concepts like polls) was that Trump had a low chance to win. Low isn't none though, and it happened to work out for him. The most likely outcome isn't always the guaranteed outcome.

As far as comparing him to Clinton goes, Clinton isn't/wasn't exactly popular either so I'm not sure you're helping your case there.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I'm not sure calling nearly half the people that voted a "small fanbase" helps whatever you think your case is. Really not even sure why you're using numbers of actual voters for your argument to begin with but cool. I'm not claiming Trump is wildly popular.

Multiple outlets predicting a landslide victory for Clinton is the media giving the impression that Trump had a huge lack of support.

All you're doing is arguing semantics at this point, and you're doing it on points that aren't even relevant to anything I've said. "Small fanbase" is however you choose to define it in this instance, and you're jumping on my use of the phrase "complete lack of support" as a finite concept, rather than simply a phrase used to point out the media's spin that Trump was severely lacking in support. I can edit the initial comment and remove the "complete" if you're willing to edit your comment about creating the illusion of support, since I'm willing to bet that there's more than zero percent support for Trump's policies.

Whatever floats your boat man.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join