It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Germany: Forty-two arrested in skirmishes following demonstrations against neo-Nazis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Police in the German city of Kiel used water cannons to break up a group of protesters that were trying to break through a barricade separating them from a neo-Nazi group. All told, German police arrested 42 of the protesters. The protest numbering some 7000 strong was against far-right extremism. Police had to be called in to protect the much smaller number of neo-Nazi counter-protestors.

story.news.yahoo.com
FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) - Police arrested dozens of violent demonstrators in northern Germany Saturday after roughly 7,000 peaceful protesters took to the streets against far-right extremism.

Some 42 protesters were detained in the northern city of Kiel following clashes with police who were protecting a much smaller demonstration of several hundred neo-Nazis, said Hans-Joachim Schmidt, a spokesman for Kiel police.

Angry protesters lobbed stones, bottles and firecrackers at officers during the "massive and difficult" clashes, Schmidt said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Germans citizens as a whole have little use for these fascist thugs that call themselves "neo-Nazi's" or Skinheads, or whatever. However, as with every society there remains a certain element that can cast a dark shadow across an entire people. One has to wonder why they were even allowed in such close proximity to the protesters at any rate. While they do have the first amendment right to protest and voice thier opinions (at least here in the U.S.) its clear that most of Frankfurt was not listening to thier garbage.

[edit on 29-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I was under the impression that a neonazi group legally cannot exist in Germany. After all, France won't even let you sell Nazi paraphernelia.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
I was under the impression that a neonazi group legally cannot exist in Germany. After all, France won't even let you sell Nazi paraphernelia.

I don't know what exactly the staus is. When the Prince Harry flap started, there were and are calls for banning the symbols etc. So I honestly do not know what exactly the legal status is. If the neo group was illegal, why didn't the police just arrest them and eliminate the whole reason for the conflict?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The irony however is that the actual nazis used these very same tactics, public demonstrations along with violent street tactics and anti-authority measures.

I'm not one to idiotically mouth the accusation 'nazi' at everyone I disagree with, and I wouldn't say that these anti-skinhead protestors are nazis (duh), but theyare doing what the actual old nazis did. Using violence instead of rational and responsible 'discussion'.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
People always see the people called neo nazis as a problem..
the only thing is that people who have a tension or which say thing
rightwinged like.. that the main portion of the criminals is of foreign nationality .. are called neo nazi eventhough the facts support the claim and prisons are full of people of foreign nationality and main part of the things we see happening on the streets are been done by these foreigners

Isn't then the problem not the wrong policy of the local governement of that nation?

they have weak and soft policy's on immigration, and many times the
people come to the coutry saying they fear there life in there countries but then they drive bmw here they have sporty clothing which is expansive like adidas, karl kani ect.

many people think then how is this possible .. but they don't speak up hard because then they are portrait like they are neo nazi.

I don't get is why are people always neo nazi if they see the problem and the facts support it. why do people say that?

I have had many conflicts with foreigners because if somebody does something I don't like for instand herassing a girl I say something about it.
mainly only foreigners did it when I saw it happen. and then when I said something about it they said that I don't have to say a thing because if I did I was a nazi:S
that was the reaction of the foreigner.. and from his friends.
well I didn't make any racist or discriminating languese .. but still I was a neo nazi in there point of view.

Sometimes I got the feeling that they think that they own the country
were they are nothing but guest.. and if we say something we are neo nazis.

What I trying to say is I can understand the feeliing of these so called neo nazis .. they are only trying to do the best for there nation .. in a way they see fit. if it is a good way is the otherside of the story. but if foreigners (guest in a nation or asylumsearchers ) do if our nation is there's and we may say no thing about it.. Yes the groups of so called neo nazi''s will grow
until policies change and restrictions are sharpend up to do something about weak asylum policies like letting in everybody and then check who they are.. if they change it like enter in the nation get to asylumcentres and don;t let them of there until we know who they are were they came from and what they exacly want. then neo nazi will have less ground to stand on.

Neo nazi only excist because of weak policies.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
It was a demonstration of the german party called NPD. Beside the NPD there is one right-wing party that's allowed to exist, that's the DVU.

2 or 3 years before the government tried to declare the NPD being against the constitution but the Supreme Court decided they are not.

As a foreigner you can't understand why such parties are still allowed to exist here in Germany but let me assure you, they know exactly what they are allowed to say and use the maximum space they can use with the existing laws.

Their demonstration wasn't illegal, though they are right-wing idio-ts - on the other hand the left wings aren't better at all. I always get the feeling they love to mess with the police and it's not about protesting at all. Both should be lawed out, they are the scum of society.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I wish people would educate themselves a little more.

Not all skinheads are Nazis. Similarly, not all Nazis are skinheads.

Not all skinheads are extremists. Some people shave their head for no particular reason at all. Some do it for aesthetics.

A large percentage of US skinheads are SHARPs. They can often be found beating down punk Nazi-wannabe kids, so all you big mouths don't have to get your hands dirty. They stand up and take the hits for minorities, preaching tolerance even when it makes them pariahs in their own communities. Minorities repay the favor by lobbing bricks and batteries at Skins who are brave enough to walk through their neighborhoods. Well meaning skins get jeered at by dumb high school kids too soft-skulled to know the difference, or even to care. They get sneers from society types who presume them uneducated. They get harrassed and arrested by the police for performing a public service. In a nutshell, these people get enough crap already, be more specific when talking about racists and neo-Nazis. Call them by their names, and leave other skinheads out of it.

Shoo
I agree with you in principal, extremism is a plague on humanity. However, I suspect that without the balance a swinging pendulum provides, the human locomotive would have gone off the tracks thousands of years ago.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I wouldnt have called the cops in i would ve let those neonazis just get beaten up. Yeah sure they have freedom of speech but we lost over a 100,000 people to these guys. WE HAve no obligation to keep them safe.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by benedict arnold
I wouldnt have called the cops in i would ve let those neonazis just get beaten up. Yeah sure they have freedom of speech but we lost over a 100,000 people to these guys. WE HAve no obligation to keep them safe.

You favour left wing extremists who praise peace and use violence to reach their aims? I would just ignore those right wing people, they are a minority and will stay a minority. No need to use 1000 violent leftists against 200 empty brains.

@WyrdeOne
I agree with your theory but I think parties who praise that one human is worth less than another, just because of his skin or whatever, don't have any reason to exist. Same goes for violent leftists.

Thanks for telling others the difference between Skins and Nazis. I know some skins and not one of them is right wing at all.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I definitely don't like violence. Sometimes there is no other choice.

I am glad these people are standing up against far-right wing groups.

If these people didn't show public opposition to these people it becomes a kind of implicit acceptance of them.

Kudos to these people for standing up and being counted.

Ever notice how the Police always seem to lean with the right wing groups? Police tend to favor police state directions in politics. They can't help it, they are police.

I wish many more people in America had visionary ideals that would stand up against bigotry, ignorance and fascism. If you won't stand up for your ideals how long will you have them? You don't have to have all the right answers to be able to recognize when something is wrong.

Going in the wrong direction is worse than having no direction.

edit spelling

[edit on 30-1-2005 by slank]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I think it's funny that when the right wing comes in the shape of a skinhead they're bad, but when they come in the shape of a pro-christian rich oil man they're good!!

top topics

join