It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Your Shampoo KILLING you?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
a reply to: rickymouse

I hate when I need to get out...

Winter time Pro tip: Put your towel in the dryer before you get in the shower and have someone bring it to you when you're ready to get out. Do the same for them of course.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

I think there are many products in use that are cancer causing chemicals. I think many people use products and have no idea they are making themselves sick using them. Cologne, perfume, cleaning products, dyes and latex to name a few.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I have long hair, it's down to my scapulae (shoulder blades) and I tie it back.
I'm in the top 5% of oily hair, but you won't notice if I address it proactively and appropriately.

When I take care of the issue it does not get oily as fast (as when I use the wrong products) and my hair is not oily but instead it is (like right now) very soft and at the proper moisture level and so it shines and has the right volume (which for me is still thin but light). If I do it right it will take days for it to get oily again, if I do it wrong it'll be oily before the day's over.

And yes I have a lot of soaps that match some of my shampoos as per ingredients, but because I'm so picky it is challenging to match soaps with shampoos. I just try to pick a good mixture of scents that align.

Now certain soaps are designed for the face (and have less ingredients) than those designed for general body use. For example I have one with avocado olive and charcoal that's for the body but the facial bar is just avocado and olive. I have not ever used these particular soaps and probably won't for awhile but I found them interesting so will check it out.

Oh and things like humidity and temperature clearly play into all of this, obviously.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

originally posted by: muzzleflash
a reply to: rickymouse

I hate when I need to get out...

Winter time Pro tip: Put your towel in the dryer before you get in the shower and have someone bring it to you when you're ready to get out. Do the same for them of course.

I'm looking for Her.
lol.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Yeah, well, so is my deodorant, shave cream, soap, the air, food, water and probably more that I don't know about. The reality is, if you're not living out in the woods, not bathing, shaving, hell, you can't even eat the animals because they are drinking the water, you can't get away from all that stuff.

You cannot escape it, but you can minimize it. I tend to only wash my hair once every month or less, I don't use deodorant, I don't use shaving cream I just use an electric buzzer and/or scissors, and I don't drink tap water. But yes when it comes to food it's very hard to escape processed crap or stuff exposed to unhealthy chemicals.

link   
a reply to: doubleE211

I usually laugh at how EVERYTHING says "known to the state of California to cause cancer" but I think there may be some truth to it. The thing is, no one uses the proper PPE for these things. Take Lysol wipes for example, if you look up the MSDS you will see that you should use gloves. How many people do that? I don't.

Now, if you are a teacher, and you want to sanitize and disinfect a surface - say, a student's desk, do you wear gloves to handle the disinfecting wipe (or immediately wash your hands following contact with the wipe), allow the desk to remain wet for 10 minutes, and rinse thoroughly with water after it has air dried? This is the proper procedure for using these wipes, as stated on the label! Or worse, do the students do this themselves?

link   

originally posted by: doubleE211

I think there are many products in use that are cancer causing chemicals. I think many people use products and have no idea they are making themselves sick using them. Cologne, perfume, cleaning products, dyes and latex to name a few.

I cannot stand it when guys wear a lot of cologne.
For women and perfume it has to be a very weak scent, if I can smell them from more than a foot away they better go with something weak and non-aggressive.

I don't care if they are giving themselves cancer I care about them polluting my air and giving me lung cancer for smelling their toxic aroma.

I haven't worn cologne in 15 years.
If I decided to wear it I'd go with something very weak and only apply it in the tiniest amount.

Now even if it's carcinogenic my extremely rare use of it would be acceptable because those cancer cases are the result of continued excessive use.

---- People you don't smell good if I can smell you at all 9 times outta 10 -----
edit on 1/22/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I have no idea what shaving cream is for, lol.

I just use a triple blade razor and dry shave, but then again I grow very little facial hair.

So get that - I use a non electric regular old school razor and I've never cut myself once.
I'm 35yr old. Not one little tiny cut ever. I'm not even exactly that careful....

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I don't use shaving cream either, just hot water and my soap. I drink tap water though because I have a well with a sediment filter, a UV light, and a water softener. If I was on city water I probably wouldn't drink it.

All the crap in our food is a whole other animal lol
edit on 22-1-2017 by FauxMulder because: DAMN YOU AUTOCORRECT

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

I don't use shaving cream either, just hot water and my soap. I drink tap water though because I have a well with a sentiment filter, a UV light, and a water softener. If I was on city water I probably wouldn't drink it.

All the crap in our food is a whole other animal lol

Sediment filter right?

Or is your water really sentimental and you can't stand it?

Sorry hahah

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

HA! Yes, sediment. Damn auto correct!

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Oh and since we're sorta discussing the general topic of questionable chemicals in everything we eat, drink, put on our skin and in our hair - I wanna point out that I'm at Panera Bread right now and they advertise that they go out of their way to ensure dozens and dozens of all sorts of questionable additives are not found in their food products.

They actually run a lot of their own farms and facilities so they can achieve this much more readily than many other locations that are reliant upon other industries to pick up the ball on removing harmful or sorta harmful chemicals.

I really hope that other companies follow suit and take Panera's example seriously.

This photo is older and as far as I know just about every one of these if not all is now out of the food.
Think about it. If the pic's too small just google Panera's no no list.

Think of what we can achieve in the future if we go this direction??

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

For that matter, go look up the msds on potassium hydroxide, the lye your Indians used to saponify the grease.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Damn that's a lot of stuff! Now I'll have to look up all that crap

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Dude, biotin is b vitamin

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

It was the settlers that used the lye but still, looks to be pretty fun stuff.

The majority of safety concerns with lye are also common with most corrosives, such as their potentially destructive effects on living tissues; examples are the skin, flesh, and the cornea. Solutions containing lyes can cause chemical burns, permanent injuries, scarring and blindness, immediately upon contact. Lyes may be harmful or even fatal if swallowed; ingestion can cause esophageal stricture. Moreover, the solvation of dry solid lyes is highly exothermic; the resulting heat may cause additional burns or ignite flammables.

The reaction between sodium hydroxide and a few metals is also hazardous. Aluminium reacts with lyes to produce hydrogen gas. Since hydrogen is flammable, mixing a large quantity of a lye such as sodium hydroxide with aluminum in a closed container is dangerous—especially when the system is at a high temperature, which speeds up the reaction. In addition to aluminum, lyes may also react with magnesium, zinc, tin, chromium, brass or bronze—producing hydrogen gas.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

But it sounds SCARY when you say biotin.

What's funny are the posters who "avoid chemicals" - everything material is a chemical. Including water, plant juices, and air.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Star and Flag for an interesting read AND non-political! Lol!

I used to was my hair everyday, but I've whittled it down to once every 4 or 5 days. My hair was getting dry and damaged, and I figured I was stripping the natural oils. At first my hair was feeling oily after skipping a day or two, but once it got used to it it's fine. Not sure if I could go a month though! I'll have to try that vinegar and baking soda recipe. Does it matter what type of vinegar? White, apple cider, red wine (hic)?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
a reply to: dashen

But it sounds SCARY when you say biotin.

What's funny are the posters who "avoid chemicals" - everything material is a chemical. Including water, plant juices, and air.

That's why I add a descriptive term in front of the word chemicals like "questionable".

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
S and F just for describing what I do when bored in the bathroom to a tee.....

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join