It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Your Shampoo KILLING you?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
a reply to: dashen

But it sounds SCARY when you say biotin.

What's funny are the posters who "avoid chemicals" - everything material is a chemical. Including water, plant juices, and air.

What's even FUNNIER, to me, is that I, out of pure curiosity, went and did a word search for "avoid" on page 1 and 2 of this thread. Just to find a substantiation to explain your "quotations" there.

What I found:

Caver78 was the first hit, he mentioned lye and getting hurt, and said it's unavoidable that someone would.
ValentineWiggin got the second hit, but only by quoting Caver78's post.
Rickymouse got the third hit but was saying he avoids fake coconut oils.
I got hits 4,5,6 when I said I avoided things that make my hair oilier, like moisturizers.

On page 2, you were the first hit.
And I was the second hit for quoting you.

So what are you insulting me over a strawman argument you concocted without having support to legitimize it?
Thinking you sound real clever? Who are you referring to specifically? Back it up.

You do know that people, if they did say they avoid chemicals, are inferring that they avoid questionable or known dangerous chemicals right?

Don't just drive by insult people.
Step up to the plate.
Play ball, you're a tough guy.
edit on 1/22/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
"What's funny are the posters" who like to insult an entire thread (or most of it) and demean people when they are actually just intimidated and insecure about themselves so need to belittle people for doing something GOOD like researching and learning about chemistry and product safety issues and bettering themselves and their consumer activities.

Actually it's not funny, but what is funny is how I have an even bigger ego problem and can't help but twist it back around on the initiator of the negative energy...

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

I think good old fashioned hot water is the best way to kill germs. I do not have wipes anywhere in my house. I use only unscented soaps and glycerin to wash clothes and bathe. No shampoos of any kind. Oranges, Limes and Lemons are what we use to clean if we want a real fragrance.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: doubleE211

I think good old fashioned hot water is the best way to kill germs. I do not have wipes anywhere in my house. I use only unscented soaps and glycerin to wash clothes and bathe. No shampoos of any kind. Oranges, Limes and Lemons are what we use to clean if we want a real fragrance.

I don't use wipes or hand sanitizer concoctions either.

My Xwife used to work for a 'ecofriendly' cleaning company that would go clean people's houses and they only used vinegar and didn't use any of those "questionable" cleaning products most people pollute their homes with.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
you need to check a common chemical in anti dandruff shampoos
the chemical is Selenium sulfide
Hazardous in case of skin contact (permeator), of i
ngestion. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact
(irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of inhalation. Sev
ere over-exposure can result in death.
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can
produce target organs damage. Repeated exposure
to a highly toxic material may produce general dete
rioration of health by an accumulation in one or many
human organs.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

When my wife got cancer and she had to do the big detox, she noticed after the first week that she REEKED of lavender in the morning. She wasn't using anything chemical. Turns out that the shampoo she had used for years had a lavender smell. It took almost a week for her body to sweat it out.

A friend of hers that did the same therapy had an odd odor for the first few weeks that she eventually identified as the chemicals used for perms. She had had a perm done once every three months for years. The smell was so bad that once she sweat it out they had to repaint their bedroom to get rid of the odor.

We just use a castille soap.

S&F...

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: GreyScale

LOL! That's hilarious about the paint. I Hope your wife is OK.

My wife got those pads that you put on your feet when you go to sleep and it pulls all the toxins out of your body overnight. It's truly disgusting the next morning.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Yeah, well, so is my deodorant, shave cream, soap, the air, food, water and probably more that I don't know about. The reality is, if you're not living out in the woods, not bathing, shaving, hell, you can't even eat the animals because they are drinking the water, you can't get away from all that stuff. And those who think they are getting away from all the chemicals by rubbing a potato on their armpits or washing their hair with oatmeal, are just getting it from somewhere else.

We're all gonna die from Something. Quit worrying and have some fun while you can.

I couldn't have said it better myself. God proclaimed 120 years for humans to live, although unnatural men have reduced it by a third, by all account. It's truly a shame.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
a reply to: GreyScale

LOL! That's hilarious about the paint. I Hope your wife is OK.

My wife got those pads that you put on your feet when you go to sleep and it pulls all the toxins out of your body overnight. It's truly disgusting the next morning.

According to the doctors she should have died about 4 years ago. She didn't accept that and is feeling great! So yes, we're doing fine. Thank you for taking the time to post the topic... I know that some people just say "we can't avoid everything so we'll just eat cheeseburgers till we die" but there are undisputed benefits to just being observant of your diet and what you're putting in and on your body. We have not messed with the foot pad things yet but we have friends that swear by them. I think I'm doing the same with putting cilantro and spinach in our normal diet.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Have we talked about the common dangerous chemical. Dihydrogen Monoxide?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Generally recognized as safe is a odd and scary designation given to all sorts of additives and chemicals.
EWG’s Dirty Dozen Guide to Food Additives: Generally Recognized as Safe – But is it?
www.ewg.org...

When It Comes To Food, “Generally Recognized As Safe” May Not Mean What It Sounds Like
consumerist.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

As a generally skeptical person, just the phrase "generally recognized as safe" is ominous enough. From your link:

Generally Recognized As Safe” doesn’t mean any testing was done
• These substances do not actually need to be reviewed by the FDA
• Submitting new substances to the FDA is a voluntary process
• Consumers who buy food are basically the guinea pigs for its safety
• Public health advocates say a recently finalized rule actually manages to reduce oversight

So yea not good. Thanks for the links

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

"Is Your Shampoo KILLING you?"

Just my Head and Shoulders.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
That's why I add a descriptive term in front of the word chemicals like "questionable".

What makes one questionable to you? Please don't say "I can't pronounce it".

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

I hate bladed razors. I will cut my beard with a bladed razor 2-3 times in the year at most. I usually use a set of barber's clippers. Granted, they don't cut nearly as close - but I never EVER get an ingrown hair. The nice thing is if it is just you using the clippers and keeping them oiled regularly, they don't have to be replaced or sharpened practically ever. As an added bonus, most towns have places that will sharpen barber's clippers for a minimal fee. I won't ever change this way of doing it, because it is much more comfortable in the long run!

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

What's even FUNNIER, to me, is that I, out of pure curiosity, went and did a word search...

Anal much? Wow, a multiple paragraph monologue on doing word searches.

So what are you insulting me over a strawman argument you concocted without having support to legitimize it?
Thinking you sound real clever? Who are you referring to specifically? Back it up.

I don't think you quite know what a strawman argument is.

There were a number of posters, you included, who were going on about "chemicals". It's a pet peeve with me, like saying "frequency". Everything in the # universe that's matter is a chemical.

You do know that people, if they did say they avoid chemicals, are inferring that they avoid questionable or known dangerous chemicals right?

Then they're being imprecise, or ignorant, or both. There are endless websites that sound like page 1 of this thread with people whinging on about never eating/using/exposing themselves to "things they can't pronounce" ...and they actually mean it. That's their gating factor. It's bad if they can't pronounce it. I suppose if they learn how, it suddenly becomes innocuous. I can't follow that logic, personally.

Certainly no sane person would bathe in 12 molar hydrochloric acid. But "cyanide" is easy to say, and it's 100% natural and organic.

Don't just drive by insult people.
Step up to the plate.
Play ball, you're a tough guy.

The thing was complete in itself. You got it, too. You just didn't like it.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

"What's funny are the posters" who like to insult an entire thread (or most of it) and demean people when they are actually just intimidated and insecure about themselves so need to belittle people for doing something GOOD like researching and learning about chemistry and product safety issues and bettering themselves and their consumer activities.

Learning is good! I've got several books I can recommend on frosh inorganic chemistry. Knowing what some of this stuff is would help you read about it cogently, and not just get info from sites that have lines like "It's only one atom away from plastic/rocket fuel/bug spray" or the like.

Actually it's not funny, but what is funny is how I have an even bigger ego problem and can't help but twist it back around on the initiator of the negative energy...

I hate to break it to you, but there is no such thing as negative energy, either.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with death by shampoo but my son believes if it says Sauve, it's shampoo.

He's been washing his hair with Sauve strawberry body wash.
edit on 2017-01-22T19:54:32-06:002201722America/Chicago1 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: doubleE211
I use only unscented soaps and glycerin to wash clothes and bathe.

The old lady has baskets full of "products".

I keep something like two - Dr Bronner's lemon lime sugar soap, and their citrus hair rinse. Both smell good but rinse off and go away down the drain. I hate things that leave a scent on me. I don't even need the rinse unless my beard gets long, the soap alone makes it frizzy and coarse feeling.

You should never use antibacterial soap. Triclosan is too persistent in the environment. I am surprised this hasn't caused a stink yet. It really screws with the bacterial balance downstream of sewage plants, and it'll kill your septic tank in a year or two. It just doesn't go away.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
a reply to: seasonal

As a generally skeptical person, just the phrase "generally recognized as safe" is ominous enough...

But then, it's also generally something you'd reasonably be exposed to all the time. Like salt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join