It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Math Problem

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Face it, you're a dinosaur......but a lovable dinosaur

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Okay, so I'm interpreting your response here......as backing up my feeling that listening to hubby, who has been working in the industry for 20+ years, is unwarranted paranoia. (ironically like "fake news!" ) I personally AGREE WITH YOU.

He, being the bread-winner, isn't in agreement.

Although yes, it's a "thought experiment" regarding the most economically and humanistically responsible choice -- even if it is inconvenient --- is being practiced.

I buy recycled whenever possible. I am against deforestation. I am FOR paper and plastic reuse/repurpose. I am not afraid of using e-transaction, and have an active paypal account and use epay for my own personal bills.

He doesn't trust that. And since he is an IT guy with giant bank expertise, I trust him. Meanwhile, I'm trying to balance my commitment to nature and environmental protection....AND my commitment to privacy and record-keeping.... with this 'digital' stuff.

PHYSICAL PAPER is more durable. I won't ever give up my physical evidence of my life. Books, photos, objects, whatever. I will NOT 'digitize' my entire life.

edit on 1/19/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

lol!! yep. And you should talk to my MOM!!! Holy elder!! WAY WAY WAY unable to keep up. Dad was better at it, but he died in 2010.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

Also, on thinking more ----- the libraries were burned by conquering religious fanatics way back in the Muslim/Christian thing......yeah - Constantinople, Alexander, blah blah ---- BURN IT!!
I am talking about the equivalent of "book-burning." WE MUST NOT ALLOW THAT, whether it's a smooth "transition" from hard copy to digital, or a violent "transition" from having a building with books in it burned to the ground.

we MUST have physical libraries.....and photos, and images, and letters.
WE MUST LEAVE
PHYSICAL EVIDENCE that we existed.

I really don't see how anyone who found their way to this site could possibly deny that.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I think we need a first world problem thread.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Utterly useless post. It's about the principles of the thing....the long term cost to the planet.

OMG.

Seriously. Srsly. You people are truly deplorable.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Utterly useless post. It's about the principles of the thing....the long term cost to the planet.

OMG.

Would this be a bad time to point out that electronic transfer solves that envelope thingy?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It would be a redundant use of time. But thanks for your contribution. Yes, obvi --- the paper and manpower is costly.

You all call yourselves 'conspiracy theorists', but trust the "cloud" without question. It is baffling. Utterly incredible.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

OMG.

And this thread isn't?
Srsly.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

PHYSICAL PAPER is more durable. I won't ever give up my physical evidence of my life. Books, photos, objects, whatever. I will NOT 'digitize' my entire life.

You shouldn't give up those things but it would be smart to back them up digitally in case of floods, tornados and such.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If you're not comfortable moving away from checks, don't.

Then, Don't pay the bill.
They'll charge you the extra dollar, and you'll have a dollar well spent on not dealing with the problem.

Or send them $120, and have that dollar paid off- plus the next two bills.

I pay my gas bill $200 at a time, but it's propane and only used to run my gas stove. Almost never have to deal with them sending a bill!

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

They are the one's providing you the service.

When that service stops being a service to you, take your business elsewhere.
Make them compete for your hard earned money.

If it comes down to putting a tank outside your home and then requiring a home delivery of service, they can receive your paper check on those days...

No matter what you decide to do...
Nobody is going to give you more than your money's-worth...
at least with the postal service still making home deliveries, they at least try to provide a service,
for an ever-changing nominal fee...

money is that magical force that causes the Earth to rotate...
The Earth will stop rotating if we all stopped getting our hands on it!

edit on (1/19/1717 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

You included the cost of the time for someone to send you a bill for $1.05, but you left out the cost for your time. Is your time not important?

Separate account with the amount of money needed for monthly bills and pay online. If it is compromised I will only lose the amount of one months bills. A loss yes, but not nearly the fiasco if my bank account was compromised. A file with copies of the bills themselves and the confirmation emails that show them paid. Has worked well for me for about a decade now. If you do not want to go digital, DO NOT let "the system" make you. There are still things I only pay cash for, and there are a few places I do business that only accept cash.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Thanks! Yes -- my "time" is actually about making these decisions. I am in charge of making these decisions. I am the Executive Housekeeper. The Head of Household. This house is in MY NAME only.

So "my time" is compensated by my husband's trust in me to do the best thing.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

i am doing both.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I'm with you. Stroke the check, attach the stamp, use a wet sponge to seal the envelope (you're not getting my DNA that way, copper). It may be a losing battle, but I'll fight digital currency until the day I die.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I would just send it in. No chance taking any risks but in all honesty, it prob won't matter if you skip till next month.

I recieved msgs from my electric and my water dept. informing me that i have been enlisted into a paperless billing program and would no longer be recieving a bill for either utility. I always call in my bill and pay over the phone. However, i don't do the robot voice msg thing. I make sure i speak with a real human and always right down the confirmation code in my check registry. So far i haven't had any problems in the 5 years i've been doing this. So far

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I am currently watching The Borgias (streaming on Netflix) and they used passenger pigeons. I was actually thinking when I watched that scene that it would be an awesome thing to bring back.
Passenger pigeons went extinct at the beginning of the 20th century.

Where I live some utility bills can be paid at banks and grocery stores.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Ha....I'm 48 & I think the same way you do.....We try to use only cash, & bank only what needs paying for....I'm a bit old school like that. I'm infuriated I have 15 & 12 yr old, that DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SIGN THEIR NAMES! I'm teaching them, someone has to, since they took cursive out of schools, but I do agree with the posters that said just call it in, or go online & pay. We aren't so trusting of banks ourselves, but I do love just picking up the phone & punching in a few #s & it's done. I don't like them in my account though, so we never sign up for auto pay......NEVER!! Good luck on your decision......ppssttt....get yourself a nice big safe

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Passenger pigeons went extinct at the beginning of the 20th century.

Can we make new ones??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join