It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iridium-1 Launch 1-14-17

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Fascinating!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Congratulations to SpaceX and Iridium on a successful launch and recovery! It is nice to see the Falcon 9 back up and flying. Hopefully, they have resolved all of the issues that lead to the explosion on the pad with Amos-6 last September.

The camera on board the first stage as it came down was incredible. I believe this is the first time (at least that we've seen) that particular camera has provided footage from stage separation though to the landing burn and the actual landing without any cut-outs.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

sadly yes

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
Yay, more Iridium flares?

Apparently not:

www.trymodern.com...

The 2nd generation bus features only one main mission antenna (along with two solar panels). Unfortunately, the MMA is no where near as reflective as the first gen antennas, meaning that the age of Iridium flares most likely will come to an end after 20 years. The company opted for this simpler design because fewer parts were needed. The MMA’s surface also does not need to be as reflective as before.

Whether this is a good thing or not is up to the reader.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: apex
I'm puzzled as to why anyone would consider Iridium flares a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: apex

now thats nice

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

they are bad because a lot of people mistake them for ufos

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Didn't the original Iridium go broke and were going to deorbit all their satellites but the government bought them at the last minute? They took it for their own private communication system after that.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord

they are bad because a lot of people mistake them for ufos

But if those people then actually look up what they saw, rather than posting it straight on youtube, that's one more person educated. They could, theoretically at least, also be used to help convince those people who believe all of Space travel is faked.....

Actually, in my research of that post, the negative I saw described was that they tend to get in astronomers' long exposure pictures.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Been skimming thru the iridiumsite and cant seem to find any information
on the speeds and bandwidth for their service......
Anyone know?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I was at Vandenberg for the launch. It was a perfect day. Clear blue skies, pleasant temperatures, and no wind. Lots of fire and bone-rattling sound at liftoff. Following second stage separation, plumes from the first stage thrusters were visible as it maneuvered toward its landing site off the coast. The SpaceX public affairs rep wasn't willing to call it a success until all of the satellites were deployed.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

It was a beautiful launch. I haven't gotten to watch one on tv or online in years, so it was fun to see one again. I'd love to be able to be present for one.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Shadowhawk

It was a beautiful launch. I haven't gotten to watch one on tv or online in years, so it was fun to see one again. I'd love to be able to be present for one.

Come and visit me in Charlottesville/UVA.

We do semi-regular launches from the NASA facility on Wallops Island, VA.

And I agree with you....they're a beautiful thing to experience especially in person because you not only get the visual experience, but you also get the sound and earth/air vibrating experience along with it.

Let me know if you're ever in the area. I've got plenty of room in my house.

<< 1   >>

join