It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speaking In Tongues

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

He and Calvin lived two centuries apart. By a man's testimony he will be justified, or by his words he will be condemned. Can you show where Spurgeon taught a different gospel than the one in 1 Corinthians chapter 15? Can you provide a quote where he rejects the blood atonement of Christ?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by truejew

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
You do realize there is a difference between infilling and the baptism of the Holy Spirit correct?

They are the same. We are born again of water and the Spirit one time, not two

Wrong, the infilling happens at conversion, the baptism of the Holy Spirit generally is a secondary experience to that. The disciples received the Holy Spirit when Christ appeared to them, they saw Him resurrected and they believed and He breathed it into them. They received the "baptism" of the Holy Ghost 50 days after that in the upper room. A person cannot repent and trust the gospel without the ministry of the Holy Spirit. And the Spirit is given to all who ask of the Father. (Christ's own words)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

reply to post by truejew

He and Calvin lived two centuries apart.

Does not matter.

By a man's testimony he will be justified, or by his words he will be condemned. Can you show where Spurgeon taught a different gospel than the one in 1 Corinthians chapter 15?

Yes, he taught a different gospel. It did not include death (repentance), burial (baptism in the name of Jesus Christ), and resurrection (receiving the Holy Spirit).

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

You do realize there is a difference between infilling and the baptism of the Holy Spirit correct?

They are the same. We are born again of water and the Spirit one time, not two

Wrong, the infilling happens at conversion, the baptism of the Holy Spirit generally is a secondary experience to that. The disciples received the Holy Spirit when Christ appeared to them, they saw Him resurrected and they believed and He breathed it into them. They received the "baptism" of the Holy Ghost 50 days after that in the upper room. A person cannot repent and trust the gospel without the ministry of the Holy Spirit. And the Spirit is given to all who ask of the Father. (Christ's own words)

Wrong, conversion happens when a person receives salvation by grace through faith according to Acts 2:38. A person is not born of the Spirit twice.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

The gospel is Christ died was buried, and rose again the 3rd day according to the scriptures. All who place their trust in Him already have eternal life. John 6, Romans 10:9-10, 1 Corinthians 15

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Please explain what Holy Spirit the disciples received the day Christ rose from the grave, 50 days before Pentecost. (John 20:22)

Are there two different Holy Ghosts?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Here's what I believe.

en.allexperts.com/q/Catholics-955/Tongues.htm

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

The gospel is Christ died was buried, and rose again the 3rd day according to the scriptures. All who place their trust in Him already have eternal life. John 6, Romans 10:9-10, 1 Corinthians 15

All who truly place their trust in Christ, know they are not too good to be like Him. They die to sin by repentance, get buried with Him in baptism, and receive the Holy Spirit to live in new life.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Please explain what Holy Spirit the disciples received the day Christ rose from the grave, 50 days before Pentecost. (John 20:22)

Two different Holy Spirits seems to be what you teach. Trinitarians love their multiple spirits and gods/persons.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
Here's what I believe.

Seems to be the same or similar as NOTurTypical is teaching and is not correct. However, you are welcome to jump in on the discussion with your ideas if you like.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackViolet
reply to post by junglejake

Hello JJ,
Thanks for the opportunity to post on your thread.

I shall start with this-

1 Corinthians 14:2--"For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him

1 Corinthians 14:4--"He who speaks in a Tongue edifies himself."

There are many scriptures that speak (heh) of speaking in tongues and they explain
the whys and wherefores of doing so,
The two main reasons are for the edifying of the believer and for communication
with God.
I myself speak in tongues,Now in saying that i don't consider it to make me a spiritually
superior person as i don't take it that if you do that you are more Holy than someone
who doesn't,It is the fruit of our actions and our hearts before God that make us
what we are.
I can do it at any time that i want,It is like speaking a normal sentence cept i don't
know what it means tho it sounds like Hebrew or an Eastern language,
How did i get it,Well,I asked God,I said to him that i wanted to speak in tongues
as it says in his word,There was one time that the Holy Spirit fell upon me
quite strongly and after that i could do it,I know that when i do that i feel awesome
inside and that when i want to pray about something and i am not sure of how God
wants me to pray then i pray in tongues for a while and then what i need to say in English
starts to well up in me,
Thats about all...

When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. Acts 2:1-4

I know there are some who say that it is not right or that it was for a certain time and that's fine,
I have to be accountable for myself before him and that includes allowing others to have the same
so i have no judgment on it,

As Paul said

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 1 Cor 13:1

Good thread JJ,

God bless

Violet.

same here

except for me, 30 years ago, I was with a friend of mine in a service and the preacher stop preaching and said.. "everyone stand up, get a partner and begin to pray in tounges" .. he and I just stood looking at each other and just bowed our head and out came a language that I still have to this day ..

yes.. it's reall..

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Two different Holy Spirits seems to be what you teach. Trinitarians love their multiple spirits and gods/persons.

Come on, no red herrings allowed. Which Holy Spirit did the disciples receive in John 20:22? That was 50 days before the feast of Pentecost. I never said there were two Holy Spirits, I said there is a difference between "infilling" and "baptism".

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

All who truly place their trust in Christ, know they are not too good to be like Him. They die to sin by repentance, get buried with Him in baptism, and receive the Holy Spirit to live in new life.

This is all true, but that isn't the gospel of Jesus Christ. The gospel is clearly explained in 1 Corinthians 15, Romans 10:9-10, John 3:16, and Christ's declarations in John 6. He who believes is justified, salvation is by faith alone through grace alone. (Ephesians 2:8-9). And once a person is born again the Holy Spirit aligns our wills with the Father's will to do His good pleasure. (Philippians 2:13)

But your pure, naked gospel is 1 Corinthians 15.

edit on 16-9-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
Here's what I believe.

Seems to be the same or similar as NOTurTypical is teaching and is not correct. However, you are welcome to jump in on the discussion with your ideas if you like.

That's not at all what I believe and am "teaching". There are "tongues of angels", and "diverse tongues" (languages of man). I've said the same here in this thread. Deception and bearing a false witness isn't a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

edit on 16-9-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Which Holy Spirit did the disciples receive in John 20:22? That was 50 days before the feast of Pentecost. I never said there were two Holy Spirits, I said there is a difference between "infilling" and "baptism".

Jesus gave the disciples a temporary filling to give them power until the feast of Pentecost. That temporary filling is no longer needed since the Holy Spirit was poured out on Pentecost. If there was both an infilling and separate baptism of the Spirit as you say, every one would receive an infilling the same way the disciples did. Have you received this infilling by Jesus visably standing in front of you and breathing on you? Probably not, and neither does anyone else because it was temporary and for the disciples only.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

reply to post by truejew

This is all true, but that isn't the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Yes it is. Death, burial, and resurrection is the Gospel. Salvation is by grace through faith. Faith repentance (death to sin), faith baptism in the name of Jesus Christ (burial with Him), and receiving the Holy Spirit by faith (rising to new life), brings the free gift of grace from God.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

That's not at all what I believe and am "teaching". There are "tongues of angels", and "diverse tongues" (languages of man). I've said the same here in this thread. Deception and bearing a false witness isn't a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

You do teach that there is no initial evidence and all who spoke in tongues in Acts 2, had the gift of tongues. So, no deception.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

I have just recently gotten the gift of speaking in tongues. It is good to see it as a GIFT and not as a possession
It's incredibly easy to do, you must only receive. Remember that you must have reverence to the Holy Spirit and have faith in Jesus' Passion.

Peace to you

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I

IT~! great job brother !

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

In addition to my previous post...

I said, seems to be the same or similar as...

"Seems to be the same or similar as NOTurTypical is teaching and is not correct."

There was no deception or bearing false witness by me. However, your statement falsely accusing me of those things, is deception and bearing false witness.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join