It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Post Cries Uncle: Stop Using ‘Tainted’ Term ‘Fake News’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The lies, the false information on Obamacare certainly describes fake news.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The msm had it themselves to blame. They have been so biased and dishonest that even if they do accidentally tell an honest story no one believes them.

I love the excuse from some people that the rights fake news (which absolutely exists) is somehow worse or different.

The example that is always given is they said the pope supported trump. If that's the best example that can be given, it's laughable.

How about the msm spouting of hands up dont shoot even after it was proven a lie. That one false news story has led to real violence and division. But somehow some people don't think this qualifies as fake news. Obviously, the pope story had so much more of an effect.

This is just one example. Now that people are waking up to the lies of the msm places like the post are scrambling to spread more propaganda but are finding it is back firing.
edit on 9-1-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
one of the better quotes: ...

“The speed with which the term became polarized and in fact a rhetorical weapon illustrates how efficient the conservative media machine has become,” said George Washington University professor Nikki Usher.

Well duh.

That's because the liberal media fake news stories were multiplying like rabbits.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

As were the conservative stories.

Many shared by yourself, so don't think you're above it.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Wasn't it the MSM who came up with the term "Fake News" in the first place??????

Now it's 'tainted' because people OTHER than the MSM started using it to describe the MSM...who came up with it to begin with?????

Perfect!

Got it!!

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Actually we're going to keep using that term. Thanks for the idiom its designed for idiots like the established media.

Here is a suggestion for them, years ago, in my youth and teens, media was the truth seekers. They didn't ooze regime worship!

They were into the conspiracies and when officials claimed one thing, they'd go out of their way to interview real experts, and scientists, and university professors who said the opposite and discredit the official bull#.

That was before a few people bought it up all up and consolidated it.

I really despise regime worship. You know, my dad pushed me into journalism courses and was going to do the sociology route in college, but ended up bailing, as if perhaps would have been in danger with my strong ideas if exposed. Hidden and out of sight, was probably the best path.

But will say this, real journalism, truth seeking, is a calling, like teaching and counseling and science and medicine.

Yet these official media dark hats pervert the word.

So, turns out, we're the journalists, both alternative news sites, AND forums that create momentum in platforms.
edit on 9-1-2017 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
So, the Post is pi$t because people are realizing that Don Henley was 100% correct back in 1982? They did the waking, now let them deal with the once-sleeping giant.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: sad_eyed_lady

Instead, call a lie a lie. Call a hoax a hoax. C

WTF Sanity prevails?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Fake news is easy to spot. Examples:

1) Superstation95
2) Secureteam10
3) Hillary wears colostomy bag under suit/flashlight is diazepam injector
4) Queen Elizabeth is a reptilian.
5) Barack Obama, as a senator, had sex with a random guy who came to town asking a limo driver for someone to show him around.
6) Trump is screwing Ivanka. (I hope it's fake news, I really believe it is not true).
7) Obama signs secret paper to take your guns away.
8) Niburu is ready to show itself (year after year, it's ready!).
9) CNN interviews 'fake' protester who is an employee. (Guy was actually protesting and worked with the anchor at another station a few years before).

Conservatives are now trying to use the term 'Fake News' for most MSM soursces. I have posted real news from CNN or Huff PO or WaPo and even if it was covered by BBC or the AP Wire, I have gotten responses like 'More fake news from X'.

It is just silly. Reporting on polls that later proved unreliable is not fake news.

It should be obvious what fake news is, but conservatives HAVE used the term in the wrong way.

Trump is racist and sexist.

your efforts are noted and irrelevant. You get no stars for that.

We, the dumb people, have decided what is fake news...we are the majority...and that's how its gonna be.

Sooner you deal with it...the easier it will be for you in the future.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
one of the better quotes: ...

“The speed with which the term became polarized and in fact a rhetorical weapon illustrates how efficient the conservative media machine has become,” said George Washington University professor Nikki Usher.

Well duh.

That's because the liberal media fake news stories were multiplying like rabbits.

Before Trump kicked Hillary's azzzz, CNN TV started putting fake news fact-checker blurbs right next its headlines, to make people think that their fake news was real. I'll be as happy to see CNN go away, as I was when Trump was elected.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I did research into the fake news stories and found out a lot of them are hoaxes used to generate advertising revenue. I have a problem with fabricated facts, which were really present in certain conservative news stories - or possibly ones that were made-up altogether. Calling a MSM outlet "fake news" when they make an honest mistake is comparing apples to oranges.

I think using more precise language is definitely a good thing. That way you can call the stories hoaxes and the MSM stories mistakes (or hoaxes if you are into conspiracy theories about that sort of thing, like the moon landing or 9/11)
edit on 10amTue, 10 Jan 2017 03:46:26 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Excellent news and thread thank you for posting that

I already had a smile on my face reading the thread title but i burst out in laughter reading the first paragraph

How could they have not see this coming? They had seen their numbers in viewers die during their whole bs election rigging//faking then the DNC leak and pizzagate happen and they thought they could differentiate themselves as to being the old well known and established 'real' news by calling anything not part of their umbrella 'fake news' and now their analysts are finding out that they are the ones most associated with their own made up buzz word.

And now they plea for everybody to just 'stop using it' now? Because 'its just not fun anymore' ? xD
Yeah as if that will happen.

this is

G
O
L
D

S&F !

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
Great job guys you co-oped a term that perfectly explained something. ATS helped make it completely worthless. Enjoy the continuation a BS news stories only made to get click revenue with no fact behind it. Long live Alex Jones and Macedonian Ad revenue.

^This....i just... no words..

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

It is just silly. Reporting on polls that later proved unreliable is not fake news.

It should be obvious what fake news is, but conservatives HAVE used the term in the wrong way.

Thanks i laughed some more because of that.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

So are you trying to suggest that only the left are guilty of fake news?

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   

The MSM walked themselves into that one. They knew full well what the consequences would be; but they decided to roll with it anyway. It all simply blew up in their face kamikaze style. They will not be recovering any time soon and people will continue using the term "fake news" for a looong time. People will not forget what transpired the past several months and it is only a matter of time before mainstream becomes obsolete.

Expect a domino effect; once one tumbles over, the rest will follow suit.

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Wasn't it the MSM who came up with the term "Fake News" in the first place??????

Now it's 'tainted' because people OTHER than the MSM started using it to describe the MSM...who came up with it to begin with?????

Perfect!

Got it!!

Similar thing happened with the term "Deplorable". People countered it by calling themselves "the deplorables." When was the last time you heard the term "deplorable's" on MSM?

edit on th2017000000Tuesdayth000000Tue, 10 Jan 2017 06:46:26 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoTue, 10 Jan 2017 06:46:26 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: SoulSurfer

Won't happen.

People like Alex Jones has been lying for years, and he's still kicking round.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Writing at the Washington Post, Margaret Sullivan bemoans the fact that conservatives have flipped the meaning of “fake news” from a term used by the mainstream media to attack stories that are troublesome for progressives to a label to call out the media’s false narratives

That is a lie, of course. What she actually said was:

Fake news has a real meaning — deliberately constructed lies, in the form of news articles, meant to mislead the public. For example: The one falsely claiming that Pope Francis had endorsed Donald Trump, or the one alleging without basis that Hillary Clinton would be indicted just before the election.

But though the term hasn’t been around long, its meaning already is lost. Faster than you could say “Pizzagate,” the label has been co-opted to mean any number of completely different things: Liberal claptrap. Or opinion from left-of-center. Or simply anything in the realm of news that the observer doesn’t like to hear.

The original op-ed piece.

The right relies on lies to influence people, and it welcomes fake news-- properly defined-- if it furthers their agenda.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

and what comes around goes around. Its the MeMe way of life-

Like the little ET interview hoax said---What was it that destroyed humanity? Dogma, Political and Religious Dogma.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
When flagging fake news, please take the time to further define the "type" of "fake"

as per the article author's request
“Fake news means different things to different people,” Usher told me.

Is it satire?
Comedy news?
Partisan conspiracy?
Partisan journalism?
Big mistakes reliable news institutions have made, or hoaxes they fell for?

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join