It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be careful when driving in the snow, please.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Wife and I drove home in quite the storm yesterday, and there was a lot happening - Her phone kept alerting us of more accidents/crashes nearby and it was just overall some terrible weather to drive in.

I urge everyone to drive a bit more carefully when you're in the snow, it's crazy to see what people do when it's snowing out - I know you might have work, or obligations or what not but it's just not worth it to go 80 miles per hour ( local freeway speed ) when it's storming out. We saw two cars ahead of us that were off the road and starting to be towed, and the guy in the next lane over was flying past us when we saw him join the other two cars off the side of the road. Luckily no one flipped, crashed into each other, etc in this exact incident but still....

Some people were just blatantly ignorant. Trucks were laying salt, plowing the road ahead of us - This trucker wasn't having that 40mph speed so he flies past everyone and nearly flies off the road himself trying to pass the trucks that were taking up both lanes. Plenty of other people did similar things, not caring at all how much they put themselves and others at risk.

Please be considerate of others safety, and be careful for yourself. It's simply not worth it to speed in a snow storm.

-Deadlyhope

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

This trucker wasn't having that 40mph speed so he flies past everyone and nearly flies off the road himself trying to pass the trucks that were taking up both lanes.

Because he was on a tight 'corporate' schedule, needed to get paid and thought he could make it, which he did...

...this time.

When he does crash eventually its no skin off his back, the rig is insured, the driver 'licensed', the system rigged in 'corporate' favor.

Just clean up the bodies, sweep the wreckage off the road and continue on delivering goods for Mega Corp. They're on a tight schedule.
edit on 6-1-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Thanks for the warning!
I live in a north Atlanta suburb, and since we get snow so infrequently, not many people can drive in it.
The last storm that blew through here in 2014, it took me almost 7 hours to commute home 22 miles. The snow looks to start later this afternoon or early evening, so hopefully everyone will be home by then.
My wine rack is fully stocked.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

So one silly thing - We saw three snow plows clearing the bad highway we were on... But only the other side of the road. Not sure why our side was worth less attention but it is what it is, heh.

Hopefully your roads are maintained a bit, too.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Viva la Capitalisma

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I live in eastern Washington state and we get a lot of snow each year. Two most important things, slow down, and increase your following distance. Most people get the first one just fine but ignore the second. Nothing worse than white knuckling it on a packed snow/ice road and having some delta bravo behind you at one car length.

For some reason people forget every freakin year how to drive in the snow, even with the local news constantly repeating "slow down, increase following distance".

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The moral of the story? Do not drive like you want to star in a Russian dashcam video.

Nothing is worth that kind of hurry, in such dangerous circumstances!

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Short and to the point....People don't think. They really don't.
And..the # 1 factor..no matter how good a driver they think they are....they're not. I drive like every other driver around me is a suicidal maniac and I haven't had an accident since I was 17.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Canadian boy here.

My suggestion is to learn to drive in snow in a parking lot like you did as a teen learning to drive.
Once people get the hang of it,its a piece of cake....I don't think or look twice when I see one of my fellow Canadians ripping down the street after a snowstorm.

We are Canadians so driving in snow is what surfing is to a California beach bum.
Stay safe.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I live in central North Carolina, as you all have heard it's gonna snow here tonight & into tomorrow. The people who run this city are realllllly ready. They started putting brine on the roads Wednesday morning. People are "bat shat crazy" right now. Their calling for 1 to 6 inches , depending upon where you live. It will be gone in two or three days. Folks go to the store & stock up like it's the apocalypse. Around here they buy up all the milk & bread.....Why? I have no damn idea.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I HATE driving in the snow!!!

It took me a long time to learn, having grown up on the coast of southern California, and I had some pretty big scares going up our tiny mountain road.

If the road is icy, I just decide to stay home and not move. I even warn new employers that if there is a lot of snow, I won't be coming in. Thankfully, that hasn't happened much in the last couple of years.

Scary stuff.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776

I live in eastern Washington state and we get a lot of snow each year. Two most important things, slow down, and increase your following distance. Most people get the first one just fine but ignore the second. Nothing worse than white knuckling it on a packed snow/ice road and having some delta bravo behind you at one car length.

For some reason people forget every freakin year how to drive in the snow, even with the local news constantly repeating "slow down, increase following distance".
Howdy neighbor, I'm in western Washington State and man we Can Not drive in snow on this side of the mountains at all. A light dusting and we freak out and really rightly so, we have problems with black ice a lot. I'd rather drive through a lot of snow than on a sheet of ice.

Drive Slow people, it's no joke driving on ice and in snow.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

The key to driving in snow is to be very drunk first.

Everyone knows that when you're drunk, you're more careful behind the wheel.

Stay safe everyone!

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Lord, you ARE a cynic. LOL.

The first person blamed, and rightly, is the truck driver. First, and at the minimum, he is charged with driving too fast for the conditions, if not worse. These go on both his national driving record and state's CDL record. The company has deductible issues to contend with and all three, Driver, corporate and overall violations are in a national data base for both insurance rate calculation as well as assessment by potential and current customers of that trucking firm's overall performance record.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
Canadian boy here.

My suggestion is to learn to drive in snow in a parking lot like you did as a teen learning to drive.
Once people get the hang of it,its a piece of cake....I don't think or look twice when I see one of my fellow Canadians ripping down the street after a snowstorm.

We are Canadians so driving in snow is what surfing is to a California beach bum.
Stay safe.

Oh really? Then explain this...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Oh really? Then explain this...

No...I don't do dog speak.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Yeah, I see similar. On my way to work yesterday, I saw two abandoned vehicles on the side of the interstate--one had spun out into the grass at an off ramp, the other slid off of the interstate at a relatively mild turn and when into the grass there as well...they were only about 100 feet from having slid off into some pillars for an overpass.

I was driving up I-65 near Mammoth Caves one time and was caught in the front edge of a bow-echo storm front. I drove past five cars that had hydroplaned off of the interstate, and then I came upon a sixth that had slammed into the concrete divider and had half of the car sticking out into the left lane. I reluctantly pulled over into the center shoulder and was going to hook up a tow cable and pull the car out of the lane, but I was hesitant with all of the cars passing, the rain, and the fact that we were on the outside of a curve in the interstate--any car that hydroplaned would slide into us.

Luckily, as I was pulling out the tow rope, a state employee who works on the interstates pulled up and had all of the safety equipment and everything to warn oncoming cars, let the two passengers sit in his truck, and was able to radio it in. He told me to get out of there, and soaking wet and nervous about getting hit, I hopped in my truck and took off.

I cannot understand why people drive like utter idiots in bad weather. Don't we all have to go through physics in school? Don't we learn about momentum, and friction, and everything else that comes into play when you're in a situation where your car's momentum may keep it going in a direction that you may not want it to? Why can't people apply what they learn in school to everyday life?

Drive safely, people.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Because those know it alls sat in their science classes, listening to their Walkman, or doodling, thinking to themselves "I am never going to use this in daily life, so I do not need to listen to it", while thinking themselves oh so clever for their foresight!

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Probably after sliding on ice as they parked in the parking lot at school that day, too.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Michigander here.
I'm sorry, but I just laugh when I seem some moron slide off after flying by me. But up here, we have no real snow to speak of. Seems all of you not used to it are getting it.

But to be safe, I avoid the highway. Period. I would rather take my chances on the backroads, with MAYBE 1 car to deal with, than some idiot spinning me out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join