It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great-Grandfather's Mason Medallion **Pics Included**

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperformance81
After doing a little more research, I found that this particular lodge is not too far from my present residence. I left a message for their office to give me a call - perhaps I can get some information from them. It does seem awfully odd however that an engraver would make a mistake on something i'm assuming is important to a mason?

The Lodge Secretary will likely have records of his membership. My Lodge was established in 1872 and we still have petitions for membership from candidates in those days and many Lodges have records MUCH older than that. So barring any disaster (fire, flood, etc.) the Secretary can likely give you the proper dates of your Grandfathers degrees.

I tend to agree with Masonic Light about the error. I think the Entered date should read 1947. As far as it not being corrected, it's possible that it went unnoticed (at least for a while)

Regarding it being important to a Mason, it IS, yet it's not a proof of membership (like a dues card) The coins could (and still can) be purchased by anyone and engraved to say anything a person would want it to. Those of us who have them, generally carry them as a novelty or conversation piece.

Regards

<< 1   >>

join