It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great-Grandfather's Mason Medallion **Pics Included**

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hey everyone.

This is my first post on ATS although I read the threads very often. Masonry and secret societies have always intrigued me. When my grandmother died about a month ago, my family gathered up her belongings. My mother was sorting thru her jewelry and came across a box that contained a mason's medallion (I think) with my great-grandfather's name engraved on it along with some other information. I have attached the pic of the front and back of the medallion and I was hoping someone out there could elaborate on where it is from, what it means, etc. etc.

If anyone needs any additional information to help me out, don't hesitate to ask!

[edit on 28-1-2005 by Hyperformance81]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I obviously am having a problem posting these pics from my desktop - can someone help??

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Interesting, but you need to use a pic hosting site such as imageshack or photobucket to use your pics. Look forward to seeing them.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Your pics are not working. You need to upload them and i don't think the upload feature is working on ATS. Look forward to seeing them when they are up.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ok, the pics have been added - hope you enjoy them!

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
A simple google search gives me some background regarding the man their "lodge" was named after:

Secretary of Agriculture: Jeremiah M. Rusk (1889 - 1893)

Jeremiah McLain Rusk was born in 1830 in Deerfield Township, Ohio. After working on the family farm in Ohio, he moved to Wisconsin, where he bought a farm of his own and entered local politics.

After serving in the Wisconsin state legislature in 1862, Rusk joined the Twenty-Fifth Wisconsin Volunteers, saw action in the Civil War, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel. Following the war, he returned home, where he farmed and served as Wisconsin’s bank controller from 1865 to 1869. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives as a Republican in 1870, remaining there from 1871 to 1877.

Rusk also served three terms as governor of Wisconsin (1882-1888) before becoming the nation’s first secretary of agriculture in 1889. Appointed by Benjamin Harrison, Rusk served for the entirety of the Harrison administration. He was integral in encouraging the American fiber industry and bringing an end to a European boycott of American pork.

Following his tenure in the Harrison cabinet, Jeremiah McLain Rusk returned to Wisconsin, where he died in 1893.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperformance81
Hey everyone.

This is my first post on ATS although I read the threads very often. Masonry and secret societies have always intrigued me. When my grandmother died about a month ago, my family gathered up her belongings. My mother was sorting thru her jewelry and came across a box that contained a mason's medallion (I think) with my great-grandfather's name engraved on it along with some other information. I have attached the pic of the front and back of the medallion and I was hoping someone out there could elaborate on where it is from, what it means, etc. etc.

These "coins" are quite common in the U.S. I have one almost exactly like it. It looks like his was drilled to be used as a watch-fob. I carry mine in my pocket.

The dates refer to the dates your Grandfather received the three degrees of the Symbolic or "Craft" Lodge. "Entered" was when he received the First Degree (called Entered Apprentice) "Passed" was when he received or was "passed" to the degree of Fellow Craft (Second Degree) and "raised" was when he received or was "raised" to the sublime degree of Master Mason (third degree)

Hope this info helps.

Regards

[edit on 28-1-2005 by senrak]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Senrak, The dates on the coin don't correspond to the 3 degrees. This shows that he was Passed, Raised then Entered.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It looks like it's been Photoshopped.
Probably, the writing was faded and whoever touched it up put the wrong date in.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllseeingEYE
Senrak, The dates on the coin don't correspond to the 3 degrees. This shows that he was Passed, Raised then Entered.

Dammit! You blew our cover! So much for the REAL secret of Masonry: time travel!

[edit on 28-1-2005 by Masonic Light]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

LOL! They sure do. Looks like an engraver was drinking on the job...since the degrees are NEVER given out of order.

That IS peculiar.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I really have no reason to photoshop this picture or lie about what we found. This is exactly how we found this coin or medallion and I just wanted to find out if anyone knew what it was or what it meant. I really don't know of any reason why someone in my family would have had this engraved to become some type of fraud....

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Maybe it's been restamped at some time then?
The dates are definitely wrong.
They refer to the three degrees and as you can see, it says that your Grandfather went through the 3rd degree before the 1st. That's an impossibility.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not accusing you of anything. It's just that the medallion contains false information.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I really have no reason to photoshop this picture or lie about what we found. This is exactly how we found this coin or medallion and I just wanted to find out if anyone knew what it was or what it meant. I really don't know of any reason why someone in my family would have had this engraved to become some type of fraud....

I don't think anyone was trying to be fraudulent. It looks hand-stamped (in other words with individual letter-stamps) Anyone could make a mistake. It might have been done by someone who got the dates mixed up, etc. Anyone can make a mistake. To be honest, I think it makes the coin more interesting....and it makes me want to go upstairs and re-check mine to make sure it's right!

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
After doing a little more research, I found that this particular lodge is not too far from my present residence. I left a message for their office to give me a call - perhaps I can get some information from them. It does seem awfully odd however that an engraver would make a mistake on something i'm assuming is important to a mason?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

It does seem awfully odd however that an engraver would make a mistake on something i'm assuming is important to a mason?

It could have been done by the Lodge Secretary while he was in hurry. It may be that your granddad was initiated in Oct. 1947, and the guy who engraved it just had 1948 on his mind, because that's when he was working on it.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   

It may be that your granddad was initiated in Oct. 1947, and the guy who engraved it just had 1948 on his mind, because that's when he was working on it.

This would be my choice for the error.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Is there no way that passed could mean accepted into the craft, raised could be the 2nd degree, and entered could mean accepted as a master mason???

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Impossible.

To the US masons. Wouldn't the medallion have been returned to be stamped properly? Does anyone else know of an instance like this?

If it's unique, is it worth anything?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Is there no way that passed could mean accepted into the craft, raised could be the 2nd degree, and entered could mean accepted as a master mason???

No. Most U.S. Lodges refer to receiving the three degrees in this order,
Initiated
Passed
Raised

Some use the word Entered instead of Initiated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join